• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by grum.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • South face of Latrigg nr Skiddaw ?
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Looking to extend a loop starting from Threlkeld and taking in Skiddaw summit and Ullock. I’ve come back round to Latrigg before and just followed the wide East bound track, but there’s a couple of ‘lines’ on the OS that run through the trees down the steeper south face from the view point.

Ride-able and worth doing ?

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Footpaths? there are other tracks in there but some are not for riding especially during the day from memory (same as ullock really) It’s a bit of a slog back up the hill to get to Latrigg from the way back from ullock too.

excitable1
    Free Member

Thanks Mikewsmth. Un marked footpaths (black dashed lines on the OS). Done the Doups route back from the Pike before now.. yes slog ! but was going to come via Lonscale Craggs after looping round to Skiddaw House from the Pike IE do the West side of the Craggs twice and link on to Latrigg at the car park and avoid the slog.

The black lines worth doing then ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably not if it’s busy. Better to check with a current local. The access in latrigg is permissive too.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Not tried those paths but worth a recce I’m sure.
    Personally, if you want to do an extended tour, I’d recommend throwing in Blencathra; up from Blencathra centre and down via Scales Tarn.

excitable1
    Free Member

Blencathra, not done that before. Bit of a tall order for some of the group to do Skiddaw and Blencathra on the same loop. I presume it’s bike hike up Blencathra.

Which way round Scales tarn to do you go down, along the ridge to the South or around the North and through the high valley ?

scruff
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Yes, plenty of hike-a-bike up but, once you’re up, the summit ridge is all ridable.
    The descent to Scales Tarn from the South, then following Scales Beck is better imho. Initial section from tarn down is v.tech steps but after first steep bit it’s all nice singletrack
    (done both)

excitable1
    Free Member

Ecky, how long (time wise) up and down from the little car park just before the centre ? or if you’ve done Skiddaw, U Pike and Blencethra together, how long for all that ?

Cheers

dunmail
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden from Lonscale Fell down over Burnt Horse? There’s a path next to the fence. There’s also a track marked on the 1:25K map leading over Sale How from the col between Skiddaw and Little Man directly to Skiddaw House but I don’t know if it’s particularly well marked on the ground.

skolt
    Free Member

If you’ve just done Skiddaw – Ullock you are not going to want to push up Blencathra. Dod wood and Latrig are your best options and there are lots of tracks in both just give way to walkers and bird watchers.

stoney
    Free Member

Skolt said it!

You`ll never do Latrigg, skiddaw UP and back round onto Blencathra….They are both seperate rides in themselves…..
    Skiddaw and UP is roughly 12 miles and we do it in 2 21/2 hrs.
    Blecathra round (inc down to the tarn) approx 14 miles and we do it in roughly 2 1/4 hrs.

As for latrigg on its own… you can kill a couple of hours on there alone. Thete are loads of traks dotted all over the “front” and to the raer (eatsern side) and if you have a reasonable sense of direction you can link them all up without a map!

But then its easy for me to say that cos i live right in front of it! 😉

grum
    Free Member

Just registering a marker here. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘South face of Latrigg nr Skiddaw ?’ is closed to new replies.