Viewing 24 posts - 241 through 264 (of 264 total)
  • South Downs Way Triple attempt starting shortly.
  • corroded
    Free Member

Mind-boggling ride. Very pleased Richard made it.
    Been following from Australia but I’ve ridden much of SDW – but no way could I imagine doing it three times in one go!!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Not sure if these are hosted in a location anyone else can see, but lets try:

singletrackmind

Heading up to the Devils Jumps ? 2 miles from Harting Down , and the tarmac section just before / after QECP ?

Well Done Richard . Fantastic acheivement to cover the best part of 300 miles and 27,000ft of climbing in one hit.

grazedknees
    Free Member

He did it 🙂
    Woken up this morning and if I am this knackered (but elated) I have no idea how Richard is feeling :-)))))))
    Hope he enjoyed his ice bath!

Sandwich

He’ll be walking like John Wayne for a day or two. Chapeau.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Surprised you’ve emerged from bed this early Anne 🙂

beacon2
    Free Member

Forgive me for joining this thread a bit late, but I’ve been out riding my bike for the last couple of days.

Yes, the South Downs Triple was an insane and crazy idea to most, but to me it was challenging and awesome.

It was tough, very tough in places, however I stayed focused and just got on with the ride.

The support crew was amazing and it has just taken me a couple of hours to read through all your posts and tweets. I had no idea of the volume of your virtual support.

I’ll be posting more information later on http://richardsterry.blogspot.co.uk/ to tell you more about the ride.

It would be great for a couple of charities to benefit from my efforts;
    The British Heart Foundation who originally inspired me to ride the SDW in a day, back in 2007.
    St Marys Church, Reigate who are building a new Community Centre
    http://www.justgiving.com/teams/southdownstriple

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

miketually
    Free Member

Congratulations on an amazing effort.

final time 37 hour s and 4 minutes

Waits for someone to attempt sub-36 hours…

jet26
    Free Member

Great effort, donation made.

badadvert
    Free Member

Proper impressive effort that! Well done!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Well done dude. I am soooo impressed. Inspires me to ride the SDW again.

Paceman
    Free Member

Truly great achievement. Well done.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Is someone going to do the PBW (once will do) non stop, once it is officially opened which is next week?

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/penninebridleway/article.asp?PageId=3&ArticleId=60

should be a much better ride. 350 miles. http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/paths/name/p/penninebridleway

C

beerbiker
    Free Member

Don’t forget folks this wasn’t just a test of one mans endurance it was a fund raising exercise for 2 great chariies & you can still donate here http://www.justgiving.com/teams/southdownstriple

grazedknees
    Free Member

Richards blog about his south downs triple ride in now live HERE

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We were discussing this on our own Dreaming tyres forum.. what we want to know is if you did it 3 times you must’ve left your car at the start..how did you get back to it? should’ve done a 4th run??

ha ha all joking aside fair play to you I couldn’t have done it.

beacon2
    Free Member

Nice concept, I wanted to do more but the support crew were tired and needed to go home 🙂 They gave me a lift to the start, then home afterwards.

Talking of tyres, the 29er Kenda Small Block 8s were brilliant for the dry SDW trails.

JimSu
    Free Member

Brilliand ride Richard and a great write up on your blog.
    I am so sorry I was unable to be part of the support team but was sending positive vibes to you from my daughters wedding.

I too appreciate you undertaking such a challenge just because you want to and not to impress any sponsors or other riders and recognise this thread was not started by you.
    Jim

grazedknees
    Free Member

Now that we have all recovered, a couple of blogs about Richards epic ride from the support crew

HERE
    And
    HERE

wwaswas

I had an twitter exchange with Anne after reading her blog about the meticulous planning involved saying I was a bit disorganised and would probably forget my shoes.

Richard replied saying he did in fact forget his shoes and Anne had to divert her journey to the start to collect them for him.

It’s nice to know that I’m as good at getting all my kit to the start of a big ride as someone who can ride 300 miles in 37 hours 🙂

grazedknees
    Free Member

I think shoes was the only – albeit fairly important thing we forgot.

beacon2
    Free Member

Wwaswas – Yes I did forget my shoes, but I had 2 other pairs with me.

I set out in my race shoes, the decent clean ones I keep for racing. After a couple of hours I was getting pains in my knee, so assuming it was a misaligned cleat, I swapped to a relatively new pair of shoes. My knee recovered quickly and the shoes were OK for a bit, then the soles of my feet got sore. I put on a thicker pair of socks, but they didn’t help much.
    We then asked Anne to bring down my grotty, torn and muddy old pair, which turned out to be really comfortable for the next 220 miles.

If in doubt, take everything!

wisepranker
    Free Member

A quick heads-up for anyone who was following this, Richard’s released a Kindle book about his South Downs Triple attempt.

Well worth reading!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Thoroughly enjoyed that, brought back memories of an epic adventure that seemed to capture so many people’s imagination!

Viewing 24 posts - 241 through 264 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Triple attempt starting shortly.’ is closed to new replies.