Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • South Downs Way – Logistics and Overnight Accommodation
  • stuc
    Free Member

Hi there, appreciate answers will already be out there for various questions but was hoping to get everything captured in one place.

Looking to do this in April maybe over two days.

Logistics – probably starting out from a mates house near Gravesend, so looking to get the train out to the start and train back at the end (planning on going West to East). Where are the nearest stations either end (presuming Brighton at Eastern end, finish with fish and chips by the sea). Anyone any experience of getting the bikes to the start on the train – I expect we will have to go in to London first from Gravesend then get a connecting train.

Any recommendations for an overnight stop that’s bike friendly – some sort of hostel or guest house near somewhere with a pub with good food.

And given a choice of dropped bar ‘adventure’ type bikes, singlespeeds, or full suss bikes what would the general consensus be?

Thanks for any help or advice.

njee20
    Free Member

Err… Winchester and Eastbourne.

Brighton is a long way from the finish. Train from the two end points is a bit of a faff – Eastbourne to Clapham Junction and back down again.

From Gravesend yes, into London and out of Waterloo for Winchester.

If your FS bikes are short travel XC bikes, those. If they’re 160mm enduro sleds then not those!

Singlespeed will be hurty on the climbs.

Can’t help with accommodation, somewhere like Amberley is about halfway IIRC

monkeyboyjc

Many years since I’ve done it, but Winchester station would be your best best for the start.

As for bike, depends on how ‘comfortable’ you want to be. IMO none of it is particularly challenging and completely doable on a Cx bike, but you’d be pretty beat up at the end of the day.
    It’s very uppy/downy and mainly on chunky chalk single / double track, if it rains it’s very slippery which may also effect bike choice.
    100mm full sus or hardtail would be ideal.

As for accommodation – I can’t remember where we stayed (it was a while ago), it was some yha place that was fine, if you don’t mind shared dormitorys and facilities, bike friendly too.
    Try looking at this sites interactive map for more b&b or upmarket accommodation.

dovebiker

There is a YHA at Truleigh which is pretty well half-way. I’ve done it on MTB, CX, SS CX and fatbike – depends on how fast you want to go, comfort and your fitness. Trains to Winchester fine if going early weekends as they have dedicated bike storage.

pictonroad

Ok, I’ll be the arsehole then.

If you’re so disinterested in finding a tiny bit of information yourself that you conclude Brighton is the nearest station to the Eastern finish you need to take a step back.

Seriously, it’s one of the most cycled routes in the U.K. And there is a plethora of information on the web (even via a simple search on here) that will get you started.

We’re here to finesse your plan. 8)

Sorry, someone had to. 😳

My contribution: a geared mountain bike, CX will get tiresome.

njee20
    Free Member

Haha, I was trying to be slightly more diplomatic!

oldnpastit

if it rains it’s very slippery which may also effect bike choice.

Wet greasy chalk can get quite interesting…..

pictonroad

Haha, I was trying to be slightly more diplomatic!

I should probably switch off the Internet today. I’ve got a sinus infection and EVERYTHING is making me irritable. 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

Normally ridden West to East for good reason, namely the prevailing winds. Riding 100m into an April headwind would be character building. Also chalky sections and muddy bits at Western end are best ridden dry – April ?

For a two day ride a stop in Storrington at a B&B is a common option.

allthepies
    Free Member

Truleigh YHA is bang on the SDW and you can get a meal there. But it’s a long way from a pub if you fancy a pint or two.

spectraken
    Free Member

This will get you started
    http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way/plan
    http://www.bikedowns.co.uk/index.html
    http://www.southdownsdouble.net/routeinfo.html

I did it last summer on a 100mm hardtail, bikepacking style over 3 days and it was mostly dry. Tyre choice was Racing Ralph’s with Snakeskin protection. Got one slow puncture which i was peeved about but other than that, happy with the tyres.

Tiger6791

Start : Winchester

Finish : Eastbourne

Both have train stations

Stay at YHA about 70 miles in just on your left

Take a bottle of beer with you

Use a comfy bike

Refil water bottles

milky1980
    Free Member

Planning the same thing but in a day, am reasonably flexible on when I do it. Got a week off at the end of April so anytime with a weather window from then on is on for me.

Info I’ve garnered so far is:

Go West-East for a favourable tailwind.
    Try and keep stops to a minimum – 5 mins an hour seems best.
    Keep hydrated, plenty of taps en route.
    Don’t rush it, it’s a looong way.
    Comfort is king.
    Avoid doing it when it’s wet!

I’ll be doing it unsupported, as it were. Planning on driving to a local hotel to the start where I can dump my kit and bike the day before then drive to Eastbourne and park the car up somewhere near the end. Train or bus back to Winchester then an early start ~4-5am on the day to give me maximum time to complete it in. The only worry is having to drive back home afterwards! I’ve used the same technique for London-Brighton twice now and it works for me, gives the added incntive too of if you don’t finish you have to make the ‘call of shame’ for a taxi 🙂

I’ll be using my Fuel EX for it with some fast tyres fitted (XR3 Team Issue tubeless) as it will give me a decent amount of comfort and I can ride it fast all day without any aches or pains. My other option is a drop bar bike but that would be hell! Might take the dropper post off for extra lightness and I doubt it’ll be needed anyway. Other than that I’ll fit a waterbottle cage to keep water in my CamelBak to a minimum, save my back.

stuc
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone with useful advice

njee – thanks for being diplomatic

Pictonroad – sometimes people make mistakes, perhaps I sub consciously put Brighton because yesterday that’s the station my mate mentioned when we briefly discussed it and I’ve not had a quick look yet – he doesn’t really do the planning side of things that just gets left to me. Disinterested – no, I just thought a bike forum may be a good place to start.

Tiger6791

Avoid doing it when it’s wet!

Yes, it’s seriously unfunny when wet

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon it’s doable on a single bottle now, there are plenty of taps. I did it with 2 (no Camelbak), but only used the second one for the first bit. Agree with minimising stopping, like all long rides, no matter how much better you think you’ll feel after a 15 minute rest you’re better to plod on, even if you’re going very slightly slower.

I stopped for 20 minutes in the entire thing.

corroded
    Free Member

We stopped at the Fox Goes Free in Singleton for a few pints, a roast and a comfortable bed. We also rode from Eastbourne to Winchester with any adverse effects. It was good to get the big hills out of the way early. Just check the forecast.

billyboy
    Free Member

Eastbourne and Winchester for rail, but I seem to remember the options were far easier if you travelled via London. Also the local train company had a but a reputation for being bike unfriendly.

We did it in two days and stopped at a b&b just off the SDW level with Arundel- though we could have pushed on a bit further.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Myself and a few mates did this from Gravesend on the May bank holiday weekend in 2012.We had great weather and a great time.
    Jumped on train early in the morning from Gravesend,train still got fairly busy so have to be aware of this .Then jumped onto the better equipped trains with bike racks from Waterloo to Winchester.We started riding from around 9 I think and stopped for some lunch at QE2 park then headed on to our overnight destination – Pub
    Then next morning left for Eastborne where we had arrange for a lift back home
    I would of been on my old 26er Giant Anthem back then but just about any light pedaling bike would would be good for this ,but as other have said the South Downs is a slippery and tough area to ride when it gets wet.

njee20
    Free Member

Also the local train company had a but a reputation for being bike unfriendly.

Neither Southern (Eastbourne) nor South West Train’s (Winchester) allow bikes on peak time trains, like virtually all TOCs. They’re fine otherwise. You may get away with it anyway, the bigger issue is likely to be getting on at Clapham, as train’s will be rammed in the peak.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Time flies – this was ages ago now, but the course remains the same.

Ride down to the start, ride home?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/south-downs-way-double-double-ride-is-go

milky1980
    Free Member

I reckon it’s doable on a single bottle now, there are plenty of taps.

I was thinking of filling the bottle on the frame whenever it was empty (or nearly empty) and having a litre in the backpack bladder as an emergency. Keeps the load down but a bit of water helps spread the load on my back. Would fit 2 bottles to the bike but A: there’s only mounts for 1 and B: I only have one!

njee20
    Free Member

Why not drink the bladder and keep the bottle for emergencies? There are literally taps every 10 miles, so you never need more than that.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way – Logistics and Overnight Accommodation’ is closed to new replies.