Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • South Downs Way Lewes -> Eastbourne section good?
  • twowheels
    Free Member

I am doing the SDW, Winchester to Eastbourne direction.

How fun (=single track, minimal gates, few walkers) is the last part from around Lewes to Eastbourne? (Finishing at Lewes would be slightly more convenient for me).

Thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

Negligible singletrack and the two biggest hills, but by finishing at Lewes you’ve not done the SDW. So for that reason, MTFU. easy train journey back to Lewes

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

The climbs up Itford Hill and Windover Hill are like single road width chalk tracks, inbetween it’ll be wide grassy sections. Not much singltrack unless you head off the main SDW. If you do it on a sunny weekend you’ll find lots of walkers etc. It’s become a really busy area with bikes, horses, walkers, paragliders, runners, DofE school kids in recent years, but it’s quite a wide area so plenty of space to go around people. Worst thing will be if you get a headwind, it’s all very open on top of the downs – prevailing wind is usually from the west.

zippykona

I love the South Downs. Given a choice though I’d rather walk the dog up there and take in the gorgeous scenery than ride a bike.

twowheels
    Free Member

Haha thanks njee20, I agree to some extent but somehow never cared enough for “doing” ride XYZ. I just try squeeze in as much good riding as possible 🙂

Kojaklollipop- thanks that’s really helpful.

zippykona- understood but I live in London (so just being in the countryside is special enough :)) and fancy the ride.

I’ll just see how I feel on the day.

jeff1155

I find the scenery from Southease to Alfriston some of the nicest in the Shoreham to Eastbourne section, but as njee20 says you’ve also got the climbs out of Alfriston and Jevington to deal with, together with the one out of Southease which is very steep at the top.

There’s options to bale between Lewes and Eastbourne though, with a station at Southease to take you in to Lewes (about an hour from Ditchling Beacon), and Berwick station only 10 minutes from Alfriston (give yourself at least 45 from Southease). You could use Polegate from Jevington, but you’re just as close to Eastbourne and may as well finish it!

If you want single track you’ll need to turn off SDW, there’s some of Jenn’s routes around Brighton on the website.

kbomb
    Free Member

Its very pretty, and cruising down the South Downs Way into Eastbourne at sunset and having chips on the beach is a great way to finish.

The biggest reason you should do it though, is Alfriston Village Stores. One of the few shops on the SDW, and some of the best cakes & pasties around.

VanHalen

alfriston stores is one of teh reasons i ride over to the outlaws in eastbourne. along with coffee and popping candy from the sweet shop opposite.

you can ride down to friston forest for proper singletrack or get the train to falmer for stanmer singletrack. although you might need a guide there.

puddings
    Free Member

If you are weekend riding check that the rail replacement services are not in place because you will not be able to travel with the bike.
    Mid week (at the moment) you have a lot of stopping train cancellations due to the covert strike action of staff phoning in sick that is going on (allegedly) – Southern Rail are prioritising the fast trains because most of the intermediate stations are also covered with bus services.
    Finally if you are planning to ride on the 19th June, it is the day of the london to brighton bike ride and bikes are not allowed on trains going through haywards heath (including Eastbourne/Lewes trains) (southern usually publish an exclusion map)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Lewes -> Eastbourne section good?’ is closed to new replies.