Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • South Downs Way is cracking!
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Just got back from doing the South Downs Way in 2 days. Day 1 was 67 miles staying at Steyning YHA and day 2 was 38 miles to Eastbourne.

I did the ride over 2 years ago, but what struck me this time was the following.

1) The trails were so well cleared and we didn’t encounter a single overgrown trail

2) The sign posting of the route was fantastic and you don’t need a gps to do it now.

3) Water points along the way are well signed and easy to find.

The plan was to ride the reverse after leaving my brother in Eastbourne, but my lack of fitness and the thought of lugging my heavy laden bike packing rig back over those final climbs near Eastbourne was too much.

I forgot just how tough the last 40 miles of the ride is. The climbs are steep and on a fully laden bike packing rig it certainly is tough going. Thoroughly enjoyed it mind!

So I basically carried all my camping gear and jetboil stove for no reason 🙁

garage-dweller

Well done I have lived down here for 20 years and still not done it!!!

flanagaj
    Free Member

Compared with the state of the overgrown trails in Dorset it was a breath of fresh air. It was so nice to see so many cyclists and walkers enjoying the trails. A great credit to the agency who are responsible for looking after the SDW.

fibre
    Free Member

Did it this weekend for the first time, 2 days 40/60mile split.
    Not an easy ride but I enjoyed it.

Go for it garage-dweller 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I was glad I took a GPS last month when I did it, but agree it’s not wholly necessary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way is cracking!’ is closed to new replies.