Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • South Downs Way gearing question
  • rusty20
    Free Member

Hi all,

I am doing the BHF SDW ride in a months time. I have been training on my 26″ full sus which has a 3×9 setup. However I also have a 29er hardtail with a 1×9 setup with a 32T chainring. I did the Wiggle South Downs Epic yesterday on the 29er and coped fine but not sure if after another 40 miles I will want to have the extra chainring to drop onto. I rarely use the smallest ring on my 3×9 setup.

A thought also passed my mind about putting a 30T chainring on the 29er instead of the current 32T. Will this make much of a difference?

What are peoples thoughts/experiences with these options and which one would be more suitable?

weeksy

I rekon a couple of the hills may be tough on a 32… I think I rode it on a 34 back a few years ago and it was a killer at the end … but I managed it somehow.

I don’t think it needs a granny for me… but condsidering your downhill speed doesn’t matter much, may as well chuck a 30T on if you have the facility/cash and if you’re spinning out on the down, so be it.

convert

It will make 6.25% difference. Worth is in my opinion.

Can’t have too low gears for long distance stuff.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok so not too muddy the waters.. but my CX’er has 34/44 and 30/12 on it and I think that is absolutely perfect for the SDW. You mention the 30t on the front of your 29er, I’d say put that on as it’s only occasionally you will be in the bottom gear flat chat, even if you do you can spin out for the couple of hundred mtrs that you will encounter, more fun climbing the steep bits too..

Ask njee20, he’s just done it..

wynne
    Free Member

Take the hardtail 29er – you’ll appreciate the big wheels over the long miles. My only concern would be that a 32t ring would be a little small over some of the long, flattish sections but then I prefer to push a bigger gear on those bits.

drofluf
    Free Member

I did it on my singlespeed 29er with 32:18. So you’ll be fine with your hardtail as it is I’d have thought

smatkins1
    Free Member

The 29er hardtail should be the more efficient machine, and this is a ride where efficiency matters. Assuming you can endure the numb bum though. I did mine on my Blur LTc, and I was pleased for the comfy ride. I even found myself putting my forks into descent mode towards the end in an attempt to relieve some of the discomfort my hands were suffering.

I did it with a 36t front ring on a 1x 10 set up, I have friends who have done it singlespeed. It all depends on what you’re used to. I’d just stick to your normal gearing, assuming you are comfortable riding with it.

adsh
    Free Member

I was thankful for big wheels and my 24t granny when I did Amberly to Eastbourne and back.

I don’t know what your legs are like but I like to be able to spin up long steep hills and to change gear without massive cadence drop. I’d prioritise that over tarmac speed or pushing on slight descents.

nedrapier

I rode Ditchling Beacon to Cocking a couple of weeks ago with 1×10 48T, 11-34. I figured I’d be fine as people ride it SS with gears higher than my lowest.

I wouldn’t say “fine” is a full and fair description of the ride, but it was OK, my off-and-pushing speed was 3mph, so if my grovelling in the lowest gear got down to that kind of speed, I’d bail and push. Didn’t happen often. I don’t know how much faster I’d have been with lower gears, maybe not much. ?

br
    Free Member

32t or 34t NW upfront with a no-mech granny just in case?

m1kea
    Free Member

I did the Epic yesterday on my 26″ F/S with 40/28 11 – 36.

A distinct lack of fitness this year saw me grovelling up a lot of those climbs along with a few walks of shame. 😳 That said the SDW is long drags as opposed to the more frequent ups and downs of yesterday’s route.

FWIW

In 2013 I solo’d the route in 9:48 on this bike. Last year with 2 mates I took 11:47. Were I try the SDW again this year, I’d want a 24 – 26 granny ring to see me through.

robcolliver
    Free Member

I stick to the traditional 3x system for nearly all my riding and for my SDWx4 I had 22/30/40 up front and an 11-36 on the back and used the lot.

The lads who did a single with me last weekend were mainly on 1x or 2x setups (more modern bikes) and could see the benefit of being able to twiddle when tired rather than mashing down with heavy legs on the last 4 hills.

The only benefit I can see of a 1x system is that it gets yu there quicker.

rusty20
    Free Member

I’m leaning towards putting a 30t on my 29er. Having rode that yesterday I noticed a difference on the climbs and coped no problems but I can see how after 80-90 miles a 32t might be too much for some of the short steeper sections along the route

ibnchris

I have done it with 1 x 9 and a 32 but added an emergency granny that I could manually shift into when needs be. Unedited twice and was grateful!

njee20
    Free Member

As bikebuoy said – I did it last week in a hair under 9 hours riding, did it on 1×11 with a 32t ring (on 29er). I didn’t walk anything, but did use the bottom gear quite a bit. I’d have struggled with a 34t bottom sprocket.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way gearing question’ is closed to new replies.