Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 178 total)
  • South Downs Way Double Double ride is go
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Well on the basis this thread spurred me on I did Winchester to QECP earlier on the CX’er and have to say it’s all running very fast, almost the fastest I’ve seen in a few years. By the time this wind has gotten under the shaded areas they too will be hard pack.
    The clay sections are really bumpy, walkers combined with horses making for a sore arse few sections, certainly the section from Exton up to Meonstoke then over the railway and up to WinnyHill. A really nice climb on a good day (a little softer terrain) but today it was boingy and bouncy to say the least. The gate halfway down Butser Hill was being replaced today, had to get off and climb over the large pot holes the guys are digging, should be finished by tomorrow I think. The QECP section is what it always is, running hard and fine.
    Good call on your bike choice I reckon, my CX’er was a little harsh but easily handled for me.

I averaged 28.3ks which was helped by the long flowing out of Winchester sections and the long farmers access lanes and the road section on Butser.

Should be good this.

beacon2
    Free Member

Good luck Rob with your ride. I found the SDW Triple hard enough 3 years ago. 4 ways is totally insane.
    Looking at the previous posts; if it is deemed as a ‘solo’ ride then where possible you need to open the gates yourself. It’s a bit of a pain, but if you’re clever you can open them without unclipping you feet.

supportben
    Free Member

I’ve collated the links related to Rob’s SDW DD such as his blog and the forum thread here and filled the rest of the page with the spot tracker map at sportgeek.uk/rob which I hope is an easier link to remember, in particular when trying to get his GPS location on your mobile whilst waiting to cheer him on.

All the best Rob!! Get it done!
    Ben.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robcolliver
    Free Member

Thanks Ben – you do own some clever pixies.

This pulls together for easy access my scanty blog, this forum, the tracker and the South Downs Mountain Bike Club.

http://sportgeek.uk/rob/

bikebastard
    Free Member

Best of Luck Rob!
    from all at the club http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk

stayhigh

Good luck Rob!

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t get my head round why anyone would WANT to do this, let alone be able to!
    Good luck Rob, hope the weather gods and all that are with you on the day(s).

wheelie

A bit wet in Meonstoke. I hope it clears for you. Good luck

nedrapier

Brilliantly mental. Good luck!

robcolliver
    Free Member

Hmm, where did all this dampness come from. It may be a little slidey coming out of Winchester tomorrow…. to take my mind off it, I’m mixing 16 litres of High5 ready for the first two legs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’ll blow through, might soften up those hard pack clay sections for a softer ride.

See you top of Old Winney Hill through QECP stretch..

You are quite mad 😀

wwaswas

I’m mixing 16 litres of High5 ready for the first two legs.

then another 8 litres for your arms? 🙂

bikebastard
    Free Member

…and he’s off! Good Luck Rob

eulach

Why is he dodging bears?
    Good luck anyhow.

andyg1966

His tracker was set up when he did the Tour Divide which starts in Banff in British Columbia, Canada. There are quite a few bears to avoid … He is very fond of that area so the tracker title remains.

bikebastard
    Free Member
    ferrals
    Free Member

Good luck! Back visiting my folks on the South Downs and wishing I had a bike (and didn’t have a bloody thigh strain), looks like perfect riding conditions today

groundcontrol
    Free Member

Dropped Rob off this morning in Winchester for a 6.00 am start. All OK and he set off on schedule. First stop for me to see him was Cheesefoot Head where I took a photo. Rob was well ahead of schedule at this point and said, as he cycled past me, that the going was really good. Next stop to meet him was Warnford (another photo as he rode in) and again, he was about 10 minutes ahead of his fastest scheduled arrival time. Still doing OK and just needed snacks and drink replenishing on the bike. I then passed him going up Old Winchester Hill (it’s so much easier in a car!) and stopped at the top to get another photo of him as he approached the “summit”. Still said he was feeling good and just asked me to have his grey Endura gloves ready at the next pitstop. At Queen Elizabeth Country Park he was greeted by me, Chris, Andy S, Meryl, Andy G and Rich. My support role was then over and I handed over to Andy S who will attend to Rob’s every need (well, almost) for the rest of the day/early evening. It’s now just gone 3.15 pm and Rob’s crossed the A27 just shy of Lewes, so looking good, although I think he may have slowed the pace a little. A wise move!

Simonofthepiemans
    Free Member

Chapeau!

groundcontrol
    Free Member

Rob’s going well – he’s just turned around at Eastbourne to commence his next 100 miles! (17.58 pm 23rd May)

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for updating us!

bikebastard
    Free Member

Latest shots…

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.841394692614880&type=1

Rob completed the first paced leg in 11hrs 34 min (he still has 300 miles to go!)
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.841394692614880&type=1

m0rk
    Free Member

Impressive.

I saw the thread at 6am, and thought I could get my arse out of bed and open a gate a mile away near QECP by 8.

Didn’t happen, and I doubt I’ll be there at 4am when he passes by…. But I’ll do my best for 8am, or whenever he passes on the third pass

Good luck!

bikebastard
    Free Member

Hi Mark, Rob has to open gates himself…. but I’m sure he will be appreciate encouragement and a friendly gesture

groundcontrol
    Free Member

Hi everyone – if you’re thinking of going to see Rob at any points on his Double Double quest, please remember that whilst it’s a lovely gesture to open the gates for him, please don’t be tempted to – he has to open them himself. I know on his training outings he’s loved it when people have stopped to open gates as he approaches, but on this occasion it’s not allowed. I’m hoping to be at QE Country Park for tomorrow morning to see him on the stretch back to Eastbourne. May see some followers there!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

if your not allowed to open gates for him then how is this legal

Next stop to meet him was Warnford (another photo as he rode in) and again, he was about 10 minutes ahead of his fastest scheduled arrival time. Still doing OK and just needed snacks and drink replenishing on the bike

Rorschach
    Free Member

double double double double next

andyg1966

Just started my stint as support. Rob passed by at 8.29pm going west over the A27 crossing. Very cheerful and in good spirits.

bikebastard
    Free Member

dirtyrider – that’s just the rules – don’t get all political – go and cheer him on dude!

beacon2
    Free Member

There are many rules for this sort of ride that include opening the gates and navigating for yourself to simulate a ‘solo’ ride, and following a designated route, either classic or official. This then sets the bar for anyone else who may want to follow in your tracks.

It looks like Rob has a steady pace going and he might just be able to squeeze in a sub 24 Double.

njee20
    Free Member

dirtyrider – that’s just the rules – don’t get all political – go and cheer him on dude!

I thought the rules were that you did it ‘alpine’, ie totally self sufficient. Surely by receiving food and drink he’s not doing that, so WGAS if gates are opened for him, particularly if unsolicited (rather than arranging people to open them)?

andyg1966

Just passed Rob at the cocking crossing. All going well. I think he has conceded the sub 24 hour double since his pace has slowed slightly to try and ensure he completes the x4.

Clong
    Free Member

Will be setting off soon to meet him at Winchester, see you there Andy.

groundcontrol
    Free Member

Rob’s Spot has stopped working for some reason. As of 06.40 24/05/15 he was approaching Cheesefoot head and near the end of the second leg. Still in good spirits. Hopefully his Spot will start working again soon.

bikebastard
    Free Member

Spot working again now ! Rob is on his third leg – hmmm that doesn’t sound right.
    More images added

caspian
    Free Member

Hi Mark, Rob has to open gates himself…. but I’m sure he will be appreciate encouragement and a friendly gesture

Wish I was around to ride along with him. Would be awesome having someone else open all those gates for a change!

hazeii
    Free Member

More than half way in 25 hours – go, Rob! Weather looks good today, certainly nice and sunny around Chanctonbury at the moment.

caspian
    Free Member

Be interesting to see if he can beat Richard Sterry’s record for the triple – around 37 hours I think it was?

Edit: 37hrs and 4mins

http://outsidetimes.com/adventures/the-south-downs-triple-300-miles-off-road-along-the-south-coast-of-england-1997/#dg9dgdIEYWKkOd3l.97

andyg1966

I’ve just (about 9:45) signed off from the overnight support at QE park on leg 3. All looking OK, main target is the x4 so Richards target may hold if Rob needs to keep himself for leg 4.

willsupport
    Free Member

Just seen him through the 250 mile point at 13.26 and still going well.

Looking like Eastbourne will be about 19.45/20.00 ish if any one wants to come and say well done keep going

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Double Double ride is go’ is closed to new replies.