• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by llama.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • South Downs Way advice
  • uphilla
    Free Member

I am sure that many on here have done this, interested in any tips advice, places to stay or visit on the way?

Which way round?

Transport back to start (I am only planning one way at the moment!).

How many days to allow? 3 days seems reasonable, think my fitness is ok for 30+ miles in a day, though happy to stretch it out as I have never done anything this long and steep before.

Thanks 🙂

wwaswas

West to East to avoid the prevailing headwind.

Brighton (wither YHA at Truleigh Hill or drop into town) as a second day overnight stop?

tbh there’s not much on the SDW itself but if you drop off at Amberley there’s the chalk pits museum which is great if you like that sort of thing (and Brighton has lots of stuff obvs – there’s secure bike parkign at the station if you want to go for a wander).

train back from Eastbourne but Southern are crap at the moment so allow time for cancelled departures when you change at Brighton.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

there’s secure bike parking at the station if you want to go for a wander

Is there? I wouldn’t be that keen to leave a nice bike at the station to be honest.

wwaswas

http://www.nplusone.bike/cycles#storage

Store your bike securely, inside, for FREE in the purpose built cycle storage facility.

There’s space for 500 bikes on purpose built racks. The storage area is lit, regularly patrolled by security staff and covered by CCTV. To access the area you need a Key card, which you can get for FREE from Southern Railway.

The storage area is accessible 24 hours a day 7 days a week, so you can get in even when the shop is closed.

If you need somewhere to change and freshen up then there are also showers and changing rooms available upstairs.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Well yes, I use that every day, but I wouldn’t leave a nice bike there for long. Anyone can get a key card.

wwaswas

fair enough – I’ve not been in there at odd times of the day and seen who’s lurking about.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A common stop is the pub in Storrington (at roughly 60 miles from Winchester), thats usually for a 2 day trip.

davee128
    Free Member

I rode the whole thing in one go for the first time on the 16th, having ridden it all in bits before, (just considering posting a ride report) so here are my thoughts.

Direction: West to East is more popular because of prevailing wind direction and has a more satisfying finish IMHO. Having said that, the last three hills into Eastbourne are extremely tough when you’re knackered.

Transport: depends where you live, but train can be a good option. Stations are conveniently located at Winchester, Amberley, Southease (infrequent service though) and Eastbourne. Petersfield will be a lot more convenient once this is finished. I had planned a while ago to ride it in sections, one each weekend, with train to start and finish of each section. Never did it though.

Accommodation: can’t help much I’m afraid! The only accomodation that I’m aware of that’s right on route is at Truleigh Hill YHA, Itford Farm YHA at Southease. There are plenty of places not far off route but that you need to ride down off the downs to access.

Duration: One day is a killer and you don’t have time to enjoy it much. Satisfying challenge though. Two days is perfectly doable but I think three would be more enjoyable – less rushed, and more time to enjoy the fantastic views on the way.

Places to visit: lots of ideas and other useful info here. Tick the boxes to turn on various info on the map.
    Also, this fish and chip shop is conveniently located for fish and chips on the beach at the end in Eastbourne, and their chips are fantastic 🙂

Other thoughts:
    -check this calendar before planning your ride.
    -There are a couple of route options – You can cross the A24 dual carriageway or take a diversion through Washington Village to use the bridge. Which I’d use would probably depend on the time of day (how busy the road is) and whether I needed the water tap which you miss on the diversion. The diversion involves some road riding and some extra climbing. There is also an alternative route that goes through Warnford instead of Exton. This is used on the BHF event I did. This is the old SDW bridleway route but is no longer signposted. Both involve some road, but the Warnford option has more I think. I’ve not ridden the Exton one. The Warnford one is apparently faster, and is often used for the double. (Some other useful info on that site too.)
    -The flints are mean to tyres. I think it’s when stones ping out from under the rear wheel that they seem to slash them. Carry spare inner tubes and a tyre boot.
    -Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are great when the trail is dry. I’ve heard Crossmarks are good too.
    -When the trail is wet, the chalk can be very slippery!
    -This page, though looking rather dated, still contains a lot of useful information, including location of drinking water taps.
    -I know it’s unfashionable, but do fit and use a bell. The walkers do seem to appreciate it, and it’s a busy trail at weekends. I use one of these, but mine isn’t terribly loud. If you can ride it during the week you’ll fewer users to share the trail with.
    -It’s extremely hilly. Don’t skimp on low gears. Either practice riding up 25%+ short loose climbs, or be comfortable pushing up them! 🙂
    -It’s an absolutely fantastic route. Enjoy it!

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks davee! Helpful

davee128
    Free Member

No worries. Ride report posted in the forum just now:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/epic-ride-report-for-an-epic-ridesouth-downs-way-in-a-day-for-bhf

You’ll have to be short of things to do to read it all though! 🙂

DrP

TBH, if it were just one or a few of you, I’d just cross the A24 on the ‘current’ SDW route..

DrP

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve just finished a two SDW this weekend.
    We stopped at the YHA just above Steyning for the night, which was reasonable and right on the trail.
    We took an overnight bag there the day before, so we had fresh change of gear. Then left the ‘smelly’ gear there to pick up the next day.

My observations, as someone who lives in Brighton and has ridden all the parts of the SDW trail separately on may occasions, would be… OUCH.

I had not spent enough ‘longer’ rides conditioning myself. I normally spend 2-3 hours riding, maybe 1-2 times a week. I should have spent more 40+ mile days. I’ve done it in three days before, and that was fine, but the Winchester to Truleigh hill YHA was around 65 miles, and i was done in. The subsequent 35 miles to Eastbourne was at about walking speed, frantically searching for more gears.

As i read a lot from people who’ve done it in a day, or two ‘easy’ days, i’m just posting this up for kind of riders that have a job and family which prevent us completing the kind of training we’d like, kind of mortal riders……

IT”S NOT EASY.
    i repeat, IT”S NOT EASY.

Had fun and ace conditions, but must prepare more next time.

davee128
    Free Member

I’ll second the “it’s not easy” bit! 🙂 Unless you can take several separate days out in the run up to do some rides of at least 50% (preferably 75%) of the maximum distance and elevation gain you’ll do in one day, I’d say three day will be the most enjoyable option.

One thing I forgot. Carry a spare gear cable… or maybe two! (See ride report linked above!) 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is a Youth Hostel just before Bignor Hill – Gumber Farm – short detour off the SDW. Never stayed there but have walked past.

DaRC_L

Day 1
    Stayed at Gumber Farm years ago when we did the SDW in 3 days – it’s basically a barn with a mattress so you would need your own sleeping bag. You can cook for yourself or find a pub…
    We ate in the evening at East Dean at the Star and Garter – they have accommodation as well if you want a more luxury option.
    Then in the morning it’s a great long, gentle downhill (if you don’t follow the SDW) to the cafe at Whiteways on Bury Hill or follow the SDW then cut south to the Cafe when you meet the main road (A29)
    Day 2
    as mentioned the YHA at Truleigh Hill OR you could stay at the Rising Sun in Upper Beeding

Edit – Lardman yep my mistake was not allowing for the (un)fitness of the group and allowing enough time for map reading (particularly the Winchester end). Take lights with you…

dovebiker

Train from Eastbourne back to Winchester via Clapham Jn.

Unrestricted parking in Winchester at the far end of Petersfield Road, just after East Hill – it’s on the route.

Whilst there are a few steepish pitches, it’s just the steady grind of the climbs that’s tiring – plus sometimes loose surfaces making traction tricky in places. Gloriously fast after a dry spell – can be a slippy, clag-fest after prolonged rain/ in winter

Lost of villages along the bottom of the Downs e.g. Harting, Amberley, Steyning but you only really pass-through Alfriston on-route so plan your provisions / re-supply. Food/drinks available at YHAs.

Easily ridden 1,500km of the SDW over various rides – can probably do a ride-through in my head in both daylight and the dark! Change of jobs means my double-attempt has been thwarted 🙁

spectraken
    Free Member

Evening all, I’m another one planning on doing the SDW over 3 days later next month. Not a fan of hills, but I’ll make it up them somehow.

Davee128, did you have the Double Defence version of the Ralphs? It’s probably that or the Crossmark Exo, so I’ll see what prices are like.

For those of you into your maps, Harvey’s do a good one http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/South-Downs-Way-YHWRSD.html

Anyone stealth camped along the SDW? (yes i know, tut tut)

doordonot
    Free Member

>> Edited. Found what I was looking for. Please could someone delete this.

birdage

Echo Lardmans sentiments. Rode from Winchester to Lewes on Thursday in 8 hours and it felt brutal. Ride the SDW a lot around the Brighton and Eastbourne area and love it but I didn’t find it enjoyable even though the conditions were perfect. I spent most of the time looking at the track in an attempt to avoid the worst of the flints.

On the plus side Singular Gryphon or a similar drop bar 29er felt like the prefect bike to ride it. Ridden the Buriton to Lewes Stretch on a cx bike before and that was a bit too bucking bronco.

The highways works at QE 2 Country Park are a bit confusing, there were no diversion signs, in the end just followed the tarmac road through the car park and up around the ‘field’ car parks and it worked out ok. Really good thing was the lack of people. Midweek seems like the perfect time to do it.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Advice?

Don’t try this.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/south-downs-way-double-double-ride-is-go

I have not ridden the SDW since.

llama

To put the counter point, we did it in 2 days. Certainly felt it but by no means as hard as other things I’ve done. I’m not fast but as long as I keep the hr down and keep eating then I can keep going. I used a alu long travel 29er full sus with 2.4 sticky tyres and carried gear for camping, so not exactly speedy. The climbs are hard but once you are on the tops its a motorway.

I think it was day 1 left Winchester at 9, qe park for lunch, stopped at pub near Washington at about 7, then wild camped. Day 2 got going about 8. Stopped at another pub for lunch, ice cream on the beach by 4.

So 3 days needs much longer pub stops, or else awful weather.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way advice’ is closed to new replies.