Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • South Downs Way Accommodation
  • james40
    Free Member

Hi, I’m looking for recommendations for accommodation on/near the South Downs Way for 6 people at suitable points along the route which we will be doing in 3 days/2nights. We would be fine with 3 twin rooms; budget around £50 per head per night. Good pub would be ideal !

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

nedrapier

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/southdowns/sites.asp?PageId=40

Have a think about how far you want to cycle out of your way, though. And bear in mind when you look at the map, that a place might be 1 or two miles from the trail, there might be quite a bit of extra altitude in that distance. I’ve only stayed in the hostels before, because I’m a lazy cheapskate.

Handiest options for least additional miles are a 20 mile afternoon on the first day, (Assuming you’re going West – East) stay at East Meon hostel, right on the trail, 40 miles to Truleigh Hill hostel, right on the trail, and 40 miles to Brighton on the last day.

You can get takeaway delivered, and/or send someone out for ale. Or take a taxi to a local pub.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! There’s plenty of advice on lots of threads on here about the SDW, try the search box or use google. The bikedowns(.org?) site is well worth a look too.

james40
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’ll be heading West to East and would like to do 35-40 miles on the first day. Any suggestions for around the 40 mile mark?

convert

You can get takeaway delivered, and/or send someone out for ale.

Sustainability Centre/East Meon Hostel is close to me – basic but ok. You could hire a yurt there instead of the hostel. It’s a couple of miles (downhill) to the Bat & Ball pub which is really nice. Breakfast at the QE park cafe 20min ride along your route.

convert

Any suggestions for around the 40 mile mark?

Nothing much to speak of – If you are happy to ride 4 or 5 miles off route at the end and beginning of your day you’ll probably find a B&B. Look at South Harting or Cocking but you might have to go up to Midhurst.

james40
    Free Member

OK, thanks guys. I’ll take a look.

McHamish
    Free Member

If you want to do it in 2 days, I stayed at a hostel 60 miles from Winchester. The final 40 miles is a little tougher and you’re tired from the first day so that split seems to work.

I think it was Truleigh Hill Hostel.

Decent hostel, although we had a snorer in our dorm!

nedrapier

Handiest options for least additional miles are a 20 mile afternoon on the first day, (Assuming you’re going West – East) stay at East Meon hostel, right on the trail, 40 miles to Truleigh Hill hostel, right on the trail, and 40 miles to Brighton Eastbourne on the last day.

from earlier. soz for confusion

superfli
    Free Member

Trueleigh hostel is pretty much the only on route option and at a suitable breakpoint.
    Sustainability centre at Winchester hill is far to early to stop

At least it makes the decision easy 😉

james40
    Free Member

Thanks all for your replies and help.

FYI, I’ve booked into The Sportsman at Amberley (approx 50 miles form WInchester) for our first night, and then The White Horse at Ditchling (approx 35 miles from Amberley). Both are very near to the trail.

Accommodation is hard to find but both look pretty nice and come in at reasonable rates for twin rooms.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Accommodation’ is closed to new replies.