Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • South Downs Way
  • tomhemmant
    Free Member

Hi

Thinking of doing the South Downs Way this weekend.

Will it be a horrible slog with all of the rain that we have had and the mixed weather forecast between now and Sunday? I haven't ridden in the South Downs before so don't know how well it drains.
    Thanks

wwaswas

it's a bit of a clagfest at the moment 🙁

the problem is it drains relatively well and you just end up with this sticky chalk/clay mixture.

Bonty Mud-X and decent tyre clearance is going to be your freind I'd say.

allthepies
    Free Member

It will be hard going I'd imagine! And watch out for the green chalk patches 🙂

mattp
    Free Member

where are you thinking of starting from?

tomhemmant
    Free Member

Had assumed that we would start in Winchester but then someone suggested that it is better to start a little to the East. Not really bothered about completing the whole route for the sake of it, just after 2 days of riding.

spooky_b329

QE Park is the 'other' start point.

wwaswas

I'd check the wether forecast nearer the time – it's blowing more from the east than the west currently – might be worth reversing the route if it carries on like that.

avdave2

Judging by the daily commute at the moment over the downs your in for a hard slog. Horses and tractors between them have made lots of bits impassable at anything but a slippery crawl and that's with Mud X's fitted. The wet chalk is lethal but whereas riding over it on on XC pros was really scary it feels a lot better with the Mud X's. I've found the best grip on wet chalk is at the bottom of the puddles so rather than try to avoid them I head right for them. So far this week the wind has been from the NE so if it stays that way you'd probably be best starting at the Eastbourne end and getting the hardest part done first with a bit of a tail wind. The prevailing wind is from the west however which is why most people start at Winchester.

wwaswas

you'll be pleased to know there's some sort of snow/hail storm in Brighton now, seems to be settling quite well.

malchales
    Free Member

just come back fro worthing and its snow there too. I ride on the SDW most weekends and its hard going at the mo.I use spesh storms but on the green chalk it dont matter what tyre you use its like ice…. Have fun

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Last Saturday. Not trying to put you off, mind.

thomthumb
    Free Member

just go for it – if you want two days of riding that's what it'll serve up.

although it is a lot more fun come summer time.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Gopping!

Taff
    Free Member

Jimbo – where were you to get that bad? Wasn'tr anywhere near that bad around QECP? The clay is becoming very slippery at the moment

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

tomhemmant: If you do go, Cheesehead foot's not a bad place to start, free parking and not that far to collect the car from winchester station. Looking forward to a full report as Im to try later this year, take ya camera 8)

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Jimbo – where were you to get that bad? Wasn'tr anywhere near that bad around QECP? The clay is becoming very slippery at the moment

taff – coming out of the top of Stanmer park on the way up to Ditchling. On the whole though it's not quite as bad as that, providing you avoid the usual horse/tractor trails.

this time of year makes me laugh when people start talking about MTBs churning up the trails. If you've ever ridden anywhere where horses/cows/tractors go, a 2" tire makes very little impact!

Taff
    Free Member

i've not ridden down that far but I agree, wherever there have been tractors or horses the trails are churned to much but we get the blame.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Mr Tom, What happened did you go???

tomhemmant
    Free Member

Was a fun weekend but the riding wasn't great. Mud was incredibly sticky and plenty of sections weren't ridable. On occassions back wheels wouldn't turn as so clogged up.

We aborted at Lewes on Sunday.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Thats a shame i was looking forward to a full report. Any good pics?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way’ is closed to new replies.