South Downs Radonnee – fitness question

Home Forum Bike Forum South Downs Radonnee – fitness question

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • South Downs Radonnee – fitness question
  • Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

I did QEP to Eastbourne a few weeks back in two days, but with a social group so plenty of gate and puncture stops, etc. All told we covered just about 80 miles in about 9 hrs 40 of riding time according to my computer.

A mate of mine did the whole Winchester to Eastbourne last year in about 13.5 hrs (about 12.5 riding time) and he’s pretty fit albeit not very fast (you know what i mean – Duracell bunny type)

The record must be somewhere around the 8 hour mark.

It’s not one for the faint hearted, lots of climbs and they get bigger as you near the end. If the most you’re used to doing at a time is 3-4 hours, I’m not sure advising you to go for it would be a sensible thing. Maybe the 65, which would still be a good 7-8 hours for ‘average’ riders, to give you a measure of the sustained effort needed.

DaddyPig

We did the 65 and ride in a similar manner to yourself. It was quite enough for me. Plus riding by the pub at the dyke knowing the steep hills are to come is/was impossible..

65 miles for me in around 8 hours, but that was the 2007 SD Randonee which was waterlogged and lost 45% of riders as the day progressed. That was seriously hard, but if its a dry run, it should be fine (still hard work, mind).

vernon-sez

Yeah – 65m is plenty. Its a long time in the saddle 8 hrs

probably not advisable but heres my training reigime for my first ever 100miler on the road (so equivalent to about 80 on the south downs as it was in the south downs itself)

3 days riding in the peaks, covered 40-70 miles each day, getting in a lot of sustained climbing practice (i.e. the kind of climbs you cant do anything but sit at a steady pace for 30min+)

Handfull of 30-60minute road rides in the evenings the fortnight beforehand.

Carbo loading down the pub.

GO!!!

I made it to 100 miles (abeit 30 miles getting there/back and only doing a 70mile sportive).

I found doing big long climbs in training meant that anything down south had to offer seemed easy and quick (even if they were occasionaly steeper). In fact despite my lack of actual regular training (bear in mind this was probably my 20th ride in total since knee surgery!) I was overtaking a lot of riders uphill.

The trick seemed to be to eat as much as posisble on the ride (not energy gells/drink!) , and to ride as slow as posible (sit up, chatting pace). And before you know it you’ll be 30miles fomr the finish, fresh as a daisy, and can treat the last 20-30miles as a regular ride (i.e. pick your speed up and go for it!).

timnwild

I can comfortably ride for at least 3 hours offroad – singletrack, steep climbs, farm tracks etc. I also did London to Brighton last year in just over 4 hours riding time (lots of forced stops though) and felt fine.

I want to do the BHF South Downs Radonnee, but I can’t work out which distance. Anyone tell me how long it took them to do the 65m or 100m versions?

ta

hazeii

A good speed for a rider over the SDW is 10mph…so 6.5 hours for 65m and 10h for the full thing (100m) are very respectable times. If you’re comfortable at 3-ish hours offroad, taking your time for the 65m sounds a better bet than attempting the 100m TBH.

handyman

Done it a couple of times first time i had only ridden 30 miles off road in one go, i found the trick is to go steady and stop every 1 1/2 hours for a snack, last year it wasd very hot, and my food and drink consumption for the ride was

9 litres energy drink i took powder anf filled up at taps along route
    6 energy bars
    5 gels
    2 sausage rolls i bought at the 65 mile end from a bhf tent
    2 bananas
    1 apple pie
    1 malt loaf
    bag of jelly babies
    electrolite tablets
    2 cans coke
    1 bar cadburys
    2 bottles water 500ml size

i carried most of the stuff with me but bought at the bhf tent and in alfriston shop, the heat was the biggest problem the sun reflecting of the chalk made it really tough

i found that lots of people overtook me early on but then i slowly passed them as the day wore on

But finishing was a great sense of acheivment

stratobiker

First of all, the 100 miler isn’t 100 miles. That’s because the first 10 miles whiz by so fast you don’t notice them, and last 10 miles are effortless victory glide miles along the tops before whooping down into Eastbourne. So, that leaves just 80 miles to do, which splits nicely into 4 * 20 mile stints. 🙂

I think you’ll find the 65 miler to short.
    Go for the 100. It’s a challenge innit?

🙂

owenfackrell

Last time i did it (from my house rather then winchester) i sis it in 13hrs total including all stops i think it was around 10.5 hours riding from memory. It is a long ride and its harder than you think as there is a lot of ups and the downs don’t last long enough to give you any kind of rest. If it is a sunny day then you can feel the heat radiating back up from the chalk as well. As for which one it depends on hour far you ride on your avarage 3-4 hours.

timbur

The last 10 miles aren’t victory glide miles! They are steep bloody climbs out of Alfriston and Jevington. The tops are few and far between so you’re going up or going down.

Do the 65 miles and aim for the 100 miler next year.

Tim

Premier Icon nuke
    Subscriber

I can comfortably ride for at least 3 hours offroad – singletrack, steep climbs, farm tracks etc. I also did London to Brighton last year in just over 4 hours riding time (lots of forced stops though) and felt fine.

Same sort of thing as me and then I did the 65 miler in 2007…as mentioned, one of the waterlogged years: I found it very tough and it was a lot different than my expectations mostly due to the shear quantity of climbs. Went back the year after much better prepared plus it was dryer and it seemed fine.

As mentioned, I’d say give the 65 miler ago and then aim for the 100 miler.

iirc I can see there’s someone on this thread who’s done the double (edit: plus I’ve now seen your profile)…hats off to you hazeii. 🙂

stratobiker

Tim – they must’ve changed it since I did it then (twice).
    I remember distinctly bowling along the last few miles in glorious sunshine finishing of what was left in my bottle feeling like King of the world.

🙂

Do the 100! 😉

woodey

It may have felt like 10 miles but I can assure you its more like 2-3 after the Jevington climb!

timbur

The last few miles are fine, the last 10 include two big climbs! The mind does play wonderful tricks doesn’t it. King of the world? Oh yes, a great feeling getting to the end and still having some use of your legs.

The riding off the SDW is rather good as well. We have more than one trail you know ;O)

woodey

Oh yes, friston forest, stanmer park etc
    U from round here Timbur?

timnwild

Thanks folks – if I can get a pass, I’ll go for 65m. Plus it measn I’m much closer to me house when it’s finished.;-)

If anyone else is doing it this year, let me know….solo might be a bastard.

timbur

Yeap, Lewes :O)

Ewan

I’m doing the 100 mile. Haven’t really done any training. Aiming for 12 hours, just planning to MTFU.

garlic

Go for the 106 miles. Join a local club and try and keep up with the fast guys/girls, you’ll feel sick as a dog at the time but come July you’ll be flying. Try and get some 40-50 milers in (on your own) if you can. Choose the right tyres and saddle as well. I’m Brighton based so I know the terrain.

get one of these for comfy :-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34400

and get these for grip :-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24234
    2.2 with wire bead is all you need. I run these.

see you at 5.30am on the 26th 😉

woodey

aha, Saltdean here

garlic

that’s cool. I’m the dude on the Tracer 3 miles away 😉

woodey

nice – not lime green is it?

garlic

It’s red. Come for a Tuesday ride with Brighton Explorers. Be seeing you.

robdeanhove

Firstly, this is me: http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6845

If you want my advice (lots of hours logged on long SDW rides), if you’ve done several 3-4hr rides and are comfy, a careful 100 is easily possible. If you’ve done lots of 15-20miles rides that have been out of the house for 4hrs but chatting with mates at junctions and gates (this second option was me), get some longer rides in with fewer breaks first 😉

Useful things are:

1) Two bottle cages, not a camelback, get the weight off your back (you’
    ll appreciate that after 10hrs!)

2) Get some sudocrem, or similar, chamois cream for your bum

3) Take some electrolites (my error) to help muscle and stomach cramps stay away. Bananas are good.

4) Start eating/drinking in the first hour. your body can only process 300kcal of carbs an hour approximately, you’ll be burning about 800 an hours, get it working from the off to avoid it having to break down crazy amounts of energy from you.

5) You’ll need to drink up to a bottle an hour depending on the heat

6) Don’t over eat, this can be as fatal as eating too little

7) Don’t change ANYTHING on your bike the night before, don’t use anything on the day you’ve not used before.

8) 10mph average quoted above is tough, specially on the BHF ride with lots of other riders. It’s NOT a race, it’s an endurance challenge. Look at the finish times from last year, you’ll see what a reasonable time is.

9) Don’t fit skinny race tyres, don’t pump your tyres up too hard. I use 2.2″ tyres, tubeless, at normal/low-ish pressures for comfort and grip. Your back will not thank you for going with “faster” tryes

10) Smile and enjoy the fantastic views and scenery! You’ll have a great day out.

Good luck

Rob

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

When I did it I ate too much and stopped at the pub for a few pints. Good days riding all in.

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

I’m doing the 100 miler 😈

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Radonnee – fitness question’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top