Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • South Downs locals – trail conditions for double attempt…?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks guys 🙂 Beer is tasting very good!

jimification
    Free Member

Nice one! Under 20 hours is immense. Full marks for SS / rigid too!

wwaswas

You timed it well – 2 hours of continuous thunder and lightning around Hove last night with really heavy rain for some of the that, too.

m1kea
    Free Member

Nice one Mark and make sure you get in the SDD hall of fame. 8)

Two favourite moments from my night attempts were firstly, a white owl sitting on a fence post and silently flying away as I approached. T’other was riding down Harting Down with a herd of deer running along in the field next to me.

DavidB

No it was Rob Bullyment from the Catford.

allthepies
    Free Member

Amazing achievement on such a hot day and on ss too.

Chapeau Sir.

DrP

Great effort!
    With a retrospectoscop, you did the right thing attempting it when you did…I worry this weekends BHF event will bee a slippy muddy crash fest…

DrP

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers guys (oh, and Elaine) 🙂 . I definitely made the right decision to move the ride forward a couple of days…biblical storm last night (so says my wife…I was sleeping like the dead!) and clearly the same along the route. I feel for the BHF riders..just missed the lovely weather but now it’s looking like they’re going to get stormed on tomorrow 🙁 .

brakes
    Free Member

after doing the BHF ride on Saturday I’ve got the utmost respect for anyone who even attempts the double. Well done! We were lucky with the weather and only had 30 minutes of light rain early on. It was sappingly hot though. I expected to do it in 10 hours but it ended up being over 12. Don’t underestimate the SDW – if there’s a hill ahead, you’re going over it!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Well done on finishing, Brakes :-). Considering the forecast it sounds like you were lucky to escape with only a little bit of rain. Although, I suppose a bit of rain might have cooled you down a bit!

rewski
    Free Member

I was riding Eastbourne end of SDW friday night, storm came in earlier than forecast, the lightning was pretty intense, had to seek refuge in the 8 Bells in Jevington.

m1kea
    Free Member

We tagged onto the back of the BHF ride (well 2.5 hours afterwards) and got away with a light covering of rain.

Unfortunately I can’t use that as an excuse for my pliss poor ride (2 hours slower than last year) and despite it being my 8th SDWiaD, as brakes said, don’t underestimate the hills.

#mustdomoreridingbeforehand

Does anyone know if Neill Newell is still looking after the SDD website?

brassneck

gratz OP, that’s one hell of a ride.

Nice write up DrP too, but you can explain the Tripster to my missus 🙂

Anyone know if there is a cheaper non TI version around, or in the pipeline? Ti is a bit smart for my do it all bike, nice as it’d be!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks Brassneck 🙂

Mike…Neil & Rory seem to be looking after the website together, although I think plans are afoot for a refresh of the site.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hi all. In case anyone’s interested, I’ve typed up an account of my SDD ride here:

South Downs Double – It’s all about the small print

Cheers 🙂

spacemonkey

<cap doff>

Bloody good effort sir.

I’ve been meaning to do just a single SDW effort for years as no way would I even sniff at the double. It’s pretty unforgiving terrain at times, especially with pretty much no cover from the sun.

Maybe I’ll have a go next year!

</cap doff>

pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks Spacemonkey 🙂 Definitely worth riding this route…it’s lovely!

spacemonkey

Aye, it is indeed lovely. But lovely in sections (I grew up in the ‘foothills’) and perhaps not so lovely in 200m stretches!

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘South Downs locals – trail conditions for double attempt…?’ is closed to new replies.