Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • South Downs locals quiz
  • bubs

I had a lovely old school bimble around the Downs today but couldn’t clean this climb. Do I need to mtfu or is it actually trickier than it originally looks.

I’m sure I could have done it if I hadn’t stopped to admire this beauty 😉

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a fairly smooth double track climb. Definitely need to MTFU!

Rubber_Buccaneer

That chalk can be tricky when it’s wet….. how wet was it today?

Stop looking at butterflies and MTFU 🙂 If you need a rest ‘On look, is that a Chinook’ is more manly than ‘Oh look, is that a chalk blue’ BTW

bigyinn
    Free Member

Where is the climb on the SDW?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Nah. Worth stopping for a beauty like that.

bubs

Bone dry and perfect conditions unfortunately, the climb was just slightly too long and slightly too steep for my North Downs legs. It is not on the SDW but connects up to it. I was hoping a local would say that the climb out of X is a well known beast that no mortal man can conquer……but it sounds like I just need to get fit.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep.

spooky_b329

Is it climbing up out of Kingston near Lewes? If you are singlespeed then walking is OK 😉

I came off there a few years ago after getting stuck in a rut… Going down

JoB
    Free Member

you won’t find conditions more perfect than they are currently for climbing that, getting the line right at the bottom and saving a bit for the final grunt are crucial though

and it’s singlespeedable 🙂

avdave2

Looks very much like the right hand option out of Kingston back up to the SDW. I got up in once after years of trying it and frankly for a long time I just opted to go left. Having cleared it once I haven’t tried it again. I work quite close by in Woodingdean and went down it a couple of weeks ago to go to the Juggs for a cider on the way home. It’s not a lot of fun on a rigid bike!
    When you’re sat in the beer garden looking back at what you’ve got to get up to get home neither option looks very nice.

bubs

Yep, it’s the right fork of the climb out of Kingston. I didn’t know about the Juggs, that looks a good place to fuel up if I ever go back to try again.

ibnchris

It’s a tough climb after a fry-up (free excuse for you…)

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP how are you on say Water Lane from Albury to Newlands or Greensands Way from Holmbury to Leith Hill Tower, can you clean those no stops ? Took me quite along time to do those with no stops and I could no way manage them now due to lack of riding/fitness. Also IMO there is a big mental element of “yes I can do this / it is possible”

Lovely butterfly btw

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘South Downs locals quiz’ is closed to new replies.