Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • South Downs experts advice needed
  • postierich
    Free Member

Travelling from Cambridge to Sutton(West Sussex) next week then on to Poole taking my bike but not decided on which one yet . Would like to do some of the SDW and planning on getting on at Pyecombe and travelling West until Sutton only looked at it on a road atlas how long will it take me reasonable fitness and is it doable on SS and what sort of distance is involved.
    Might be able to keep going after Sutton the next day towards Winchester how long would it take me and distance please
    Getting dropped off by car
    Many thanks

Rich

Buzzard
    Free Member

Rich – have you looked here – should be able to get an idea of the distance
    http://www.bikedowns.co.uk/

Ive just posted asking what conditions are like around there at the moment. meant to be riding Eastborne to Cocking tomorrow

thomthumb
    Free Member

far from an expert but i reckon sutton (bignor?) to pyecombe is ~1/3rd of it. bignor to winch another 3rd.

how long it will take? how fit are you? the whole thing takes on average 12hr so your talking about 4 hr rides roughly.

singlespeed is fine.

DrP

Sutton, near Bignor..?
    Pyecombe to there is about 23 miles, and easily doable on a SS…

On a reasonable day, at a reasonable pace, it would take about 2-3 hours. The SDW isn’t ‘hard’ as such – if you’re determined you can blat out the miles..

Your biggest challenge will be coming up from Steyning, and the climb from Amberley. But easily doable…

DrP

DrP

I just crudely plotted it out – 22.71 miles…!

Yeah, 2-3 hours 🙂

DrP

postierich
    Free Member

Sounds good! take it I can do it without an OS map will have a Garmin with basic mapping!
    Buzzard just checked that link many thanks everyone so far!

DrP

Rich – just use Bikehike to plot out route, then upload to your garmin.

It’s easy to follow the SDW route, but easier with turn by turn instructions!

When are you doing it? I might join you….

DrP

postierich
    Free Member

Friday morning 11am ish
    then Saturday will be a 9am kick off!

wwaswas

re: SS – it’s all ok, pretty much.

Although starting at Pyecombe and heading west you immediately hit about the only hill locally that I only seem to be able to get up about 2 in 5 times on a SS without running out of legs, it’s got a wierd ‘gets really steep to a false crest then carries on for another 500m’ thing going on that does my head in.

DrP

Rich – I’m having a bit of a local guided ride ‘do’ next weekend…
    Mail me if you fancy joining in (Worthing way)

DrP

dobo
    Free Member

im winchester end, but tbh just stop at QECP and do a few laps instead. oh and do butser hill on your SS (if you can) 🙂 its a nice ride back down..
    SS is ok but if its geared for the road your in for a world of pain and pushing unless your hardcore

postierich
    Free Member

Did 28 miles from Pyecombe trails were great very boggy down in Amberley,really enjoyable the downs were excellent with the climbs all very doable!
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/320588162

DrP

The crossing over the river (at Amberly) is a right mess if there’s any recent rain!!
    Glad you had fun!
    You still around the area then?

DrP

DrP

You also went wrong after the A24 I see!
    “PostieRich, on a singlespeed, at a young girls prep school – what was he thinking….”

DrP

postierich
    Free Member

Even worse I headed towards Brighton when I first got on @ Pyecombe

Stopped At the the school and a young lady put me right it was a muddy mess down there to!
    Still in Sutton doing a ride late on this afternoon!
    Saturday I will be riding around theSwanage area 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘South Downs experts advice needed’ is closed to new replies.