Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • South Downs conditions
  • ibnchris

Thinking of heading up on to the Downs for a day ride on Saturday. I know it’s going to be pretty wet and miserable but just how bad are the trails? I have mud tyres and no gears to foul me up

chiefgrooveguru

As muddy as I’ve ever seen it! I don’t know if it’ll be better or worse without gears…

wwaswas

I’ve been riding on the roads since Christmas – I can’t face it.

Be aware that there’s a lot of flooding blocking the SDW in low lying areas at the moment too, Amberley and Alfriston are blocked.

ibnchris

Oh dear. That doesn’t sound very appealing…maybe I’ll try the North Downs instead…

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve been riding on the roads since Christmas – I can’t face it.

It’s not that bad! 😛

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’s rubbish, worse than rubbish. Gave up riding on it a month ago (even the SS has died-headset). Walking the hounds on what are usually reasonably weather resistant paths I’ve found bogs, puddles and nastiness. Worst I’ve ever seen it in 14 years of walking and riding on the downs.

wheelie

A bit slippy from the railway line up towards Old Winchester Hill

wwaswas

It’s not that bad!

🙂

I know Alex.

I keep planning routes in my head avoiding the ‘bad’ bits and then think “well that doesn’t look like it’s worth getting covered in mud and spending an hour cleaning the bike for” and reach for the road bike.

I also can’t bear riding Stanmer when it’s like this as you can just see the damage on the trails happening as you ride them. We’ve had that discussion though 😉

ibnchris

Is the North Downs any better do you think? Thinking East Grinsted way…

muddy@rseguy

I rode a loop from High Salvington to Chanctonbury and back via Cissbury yesterday, all the main bridleways are ok. Theres some gloopy mud and flooding in some places but the core SDW is actually all ok and you can get a good few offroad loops done, it’s one of those times you are actually thankful that someone has done some trail taming and resurfacing!

Being the South Downs though, its a bit slippery on the obvious chalk downhills.

I would forget the singletrack for a few weeks though, I haven’t bothered going anywhere near Stanmer or Whiteways as I know what that will be like. Here’s hoping for some colder weather and a few deep frosts to make some nice hardpack…

Otherwise, get out the roadbike and break out the mudguards 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Having spent most of the last week with the outlaws in Heathfield, if the mud doesn’t get you, the pot holes in the roads will! Affluent southeast my arse!

DrP

I went out on the road fixie on Wednesday – I actually went through a puddle up to my knees….
    At that point my waterproof boots were no longer working in my favour…
    The hills will be muddy no doubt!

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

My side of the Downs (Petersfield through Winchester) it’s pretty grim, very wet and boggy, deep mud and sodden roads.
    It’s still great fun, but the washing machines been on constantly since Monday 😆

mrmoofo

And the chalky bits will be like ice ….

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Not sure… I’ve not been out since 15th Dec when I crashed on some of that there slippery chalk (in driving rain) and injured my shoulder! It’s pretty wet and boggy at the moment, but a day to dry out and there will be good riding to be had. 2012 was a good year and it was just as wet as this.

john_l
    Free Member

Did a 45 mile loop from Eastbourne on Saturday & another 25 miles yesterday from Steyning – both on SSCX, bit muddy in places but not bad enough to make me want to ride in axle deep cruddy water on the roads 🙂

souldrummer
    Free Member

Having seen the thick mud and floods of water pouring off the SDW at the top of Bury Hill I wouldn’t fancy riding there at the moment.

fisherboy
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’ve had to reach for the road bike lately. I’m hoping for a hard frost soon. Its seems like that will be the fastest way were gonna get back onto the downs. This time of year usually takes 5 to 7 days of no rain for things to improve. (farmers going about their business never helps either). On the upside its always nice to rediscover your ‘new’ local trails after the rain has ‘re-worked’ them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘South Downs conditions’ is closed to new replies.