Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • South Down Way conditions – Hassocks to Eastbourne
  • strike
    Free Member

What’s the SDW currently riding like along this section? Looking at riding it this coming Saturday.

Thanks-in0advance.

wwaswas

yesterday morning, very wet and lots of slippery chalk.

The wind had dried a lot of what had been wet to merely sticky by last night when I walked the dog (not on the sdw).

If it stays dry for a few days the tops will dry quickly in this wind but the sheltered bits will stay a wet, I’d imagine.

It’s all a bit ‘between times’ at the moment – mostly a firm base with varying levels of mud and slither on top. A few weeks of rain will soak in more for more consistent shitty conditions. I’d ride soon.

richardthird

Looking dry windy and mild this week so hopefully most pleasant by Sat. I’m far Eastern end and having a recce this pm.

slimjim78
    Free Member

20 mile loop of Cissbury/Chanctonbury yesterday – can confirm that the exposed chalk was lethal.
    Sunny side of hills dried up nicely though – as above – the sheltered sections are likely to cause most grief.

strike
    Free Member

Any more recent updates on SDW trail conditions, please?

Painey
    Free Member

It’s slippery but not full on muddy/boggy etc. I was going to look at riding Ditchling Beacon to Eastbourne today but have to work instead. I wouldn’t be doing that if I thought it was bad so you’ve got no worries. Just be careful on the wet chalk as has been said. It’ll dry out more by Saturday as well although a little rain is forecast tonight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘South Down Way conditions – Hassocks to Eastbourne’ is closed to new replies.