Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • South America cycle tour – any experiences / recommendations?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

I am considering doing a 2/3 week cycle tour in Chili, Peru or Argentina areas – looking for mountains, stunning scenery, lakes etc 🙂 Want to go as part of a small group organised trip (not independent) as I’ll be travelling on my own. Would also be good if bikes were available to hire.

Does any have any recommendations / previous experience? Suggested companies? Any specific areas / routes? Best time of year to go?

(Any inspirational photos of your trip would be much appreciated to while away a wet and windy afternoon 🙂 )

Cheers!

druidh
    Free Member

* is intererested…. *

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

I rode the length of South America in 2005. I remember Bolivia most vividly. If I were to go back for a 2/3 week trip, that’s where I’d go because you get totally diverse terrain in a very compact area. If you can, riding across the Salar de Uyuni and camping on it, is absolutely fabulous. But so is the ride from Uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama.

Then again, if you’re travelling by yourself, I’d also suggest the Camino Austral in Chile. You have a variety of turquoise lakes, glaciers, temperate rainforest, snow capped mountains – all that! It’s also packed with cyclists so you’re not really alone much.

Peru is another story. I didn’t get on with it, but then I got robbed at gunpoint on my brief period on the Panamerica, which put a downer on things. It felt safe once I was off in the mountains.

Cheers,

Vik

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have a look at some blogs on crazyguyonabike. It looks awesome, a guy I rode with recently in the US was flying down to ride back up. The remoteness and landscape challenges inspire and freak me out in equal measure. I’d love to do it sometime, but I’d be reluctant to ride it alone. I dont think I have the mental fortitude to see it through solo.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback and tips guys.

No, definately not doing it on my own, so looking for an adventure travel company to go with. Red Spokes seem to have a great looking trip:

http://www.redspokes.co.uk/cycling_holidays/cycling_holiday.php?TOUR=Chile_and_Argentina_Cycling_Holiday&ID=12

Anyone been on one of their trips? Any other recommendations?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘South America cycle tour – any experiences / recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.