Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Serious lumens for commuting
  • rlanquetin
    Free Member

My commute involves a fair bit of twisty dowhill on unlit and potholes-rich country lanes :-).
    I find the lighting of my Lupine Tesla 5 not sufficient, particularly on rainy days (strangely it is enough when mountain biking thanks to the fat tires + 140mm of suspension travel).

The situation is especially tricky when there are oncoming cars, I am then just aiming between the car and where I think the roadside is (no road marking :()

Basically, I am now hesitating between an Exposure Six Pack (cable-free, fairly light for long runtime, eventual remote switch) and a Four4th Holy Moses (cheaper, more lumens).

Has anybody had the opportunity to try/own both? Which one would you go for?
    Many thanks for your feedback.

TheBrick
    Free Member

In true forum way I’m not gogin to answer your question. Are you having trouble with people not dipping and being dazzled? I always wore a cap when riding on the road at night, works better than the stupid helmet peaks as its closer to your eyes. I could tip my head to help minimise dazzle. A cycle cap will fit under your helmet if your so inclined.

mrmo
    Free Member

serious answer you are wasting your money getting ever more lumens, it is not the problem. What you are seeing is that wet tarmac for want of a better word, eats light. However much light you have will not be enough. I think it is an LED colour issue as i don’t remember my old Lumi Halogens having the same issue.

And this is before you move onto blinding drivers and causing an accident as a result.

What you are looking for is a light with a lot of throw, i have noticed that some lights might be bright but they don’t project much light into the distance.

For idea.

http://road.cc/content/news/97193-big-roadcc-lights-test-2013

timdb
    Free Member

I use a holy Moses (with the green LEDs) for commuting, works great. Use it on low mostly, or mid for dark potholy roads like you describe – rarely use it on high beam on the roads…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Serious lumens for commuting’ is closed to new replies.