Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sourcing an iPhone 5s battery.
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Anyone know a decent source for non-exploding batteries for a iPhone 5S? Mine has started to turn off when it’s saying 10-15% full still. I know there are loads on eBay/Amazon, but get the feeling most might not have had the strictness of quality controls during their manufacturer.

Failing that, if you’re reading this wysiwyg, what do you charge for a replacement these days?

charliew

Ifixit is probably a good source…
    https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Parts/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-5S/iPhone-5s-Replacement-Battery.html

They also provide guides (and tools) to fix it yourself…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I boight a 4S battery from an Amazon seller for £8. It works but clearly isn’t the same quality / longevity as the original. Paying more from a trusted supplier would be well worth it.

charliew

This guide lists the tools, and how to do it:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5s+Battery+Replacement/19239

Make sure your order parts from the European version of the store to save import charges.

zilog6128

I boight a 4S battery from an Amazon seller for £8. It works but clearly isn’t the same quality / longevity as the original. Paying more from a trusted supplier would be well worth it.

There is only one trusted supplier… Apple. Obviously you will have to take/send your phone to them though, they won’t just sell you a battery. No-one else will sell you a genuine Apple battery (if they claim to they’re lying).

Plenty of negative reviews of iFixit batteries if you Google. I would not be surprised if they were exactly the same batteries that eBay/Amazon sellers use, just more expensive. Their guides are excellent though!

FWIW I’ve always just used an eBay seller with high feedback & lots of sales of that battery. I realise that’s absolutely no guarantee of quality but I’ve never had a problem. YMMV. (Always use genuine chargers).

skids
    Free Member

take it into the apple shop if you want a good battery, the batteries you buy on ebay amazon are shit, zero quality control

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I take on board the quality issues from other sellers, and said as much in my OP, but was hoping there would be at least one reputable company making batteries for the 3rd party market.

Guess not, if iFixit get wonky reviews as well.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Possibly the best route would be find a smashed screen one on ebay cheap or a friends old battered one and get swapped out. My local phone repair shop is apple tech approved and approved by the other big manufacturers ie sammy lg HTC and Sony.

He offered a choice of OEM parts (dearer) or third party ones cheaper and offers a warranty on all work he does. Just ask about what phone shops have a good reputation and ask if work is guaranteed

tetchypete
    Free Member

Does anyone know how much Apple charges for replacing a battery?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sourcing an iPhone 5s battery.’ is closed to new replies.