Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Sounds of the past you'd like to have heard live…
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I cycled past a small church the other day and the guy was in the entrance ringing the bell for call to prayer,…it struck me that years ago on a Sunday at about 10.30am this would have been a very common sound, and lots of it and would have been marvelous to hear…especially in built up areas where churches are quite numerous.

what sounds from the past would you like to have been there to have heard?

SaxonRider

The bells of an Orthodox monastery in some rural village.

Incidentally, the sound you mention is one that I experienced in Montreal quite regularly when I lived in the city centre. In a modern city, it was stunning to hear it erupt with bells on Sunday morning.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

You should go to Molini, you can have church bells all day and night! Live sounds I’d have like to have heard would be The Smiths live 🙂 but maybe more in keeping with the thread the Hampden Roar, I dont even like football but can only imagine what it must have been like in the record breaking capacity days, 100,000 plus at a game.

bensales
    Free Member

Shuttle launch.

And Jimi Hendrix.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Done shuttle launch and Hendrix. As a result I am only just young enough to have missed out on my fave: the Big Bang.

northernmatt

Pink Floyd and probably AC/DC as I missed them this year and I doubt they’ll all live long enough for another tour.

deadslow

The Vulcan….
    Off to see it on Sunday in Gaydon at the Heritage Motor Centre as we missed out when we last went to see it at Shoreham.

DezB
    Free Member

Live? The White Stripes.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Bands- for sure Guns n roses. Had tickets twice and they cancelled both times.
    Other stuff? Thankfully i did get to hear f1 cars before they killed off the real engines but never heard a v12 in the flesh.

oxym0r0n

Nirvana unplugged or London Elektricity live

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Buddy Holly or Chuck Berry

lemonysam
    Free Member

The quiet before the arrival of motors and the sound of a town centre still full of animals. The throb of the engines in a big milling/mining area.

Musically, The Stooges in the 60s,

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Car horns that went….

Dah dah, didi, da da, DAH dah.

Or….

Any instrument being practiced well/ played by a neighbour while you are sitting in our back garden on a summer’s evening

mattbee

Nirvana were awesome. G&R rubbish.
    I’d like to have heard the sound a Roman legion made marching, or the sound of a cavalry charge.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

James Brown live in the 70’s.

tomhoward

Car horns that went….
    Dah dah, didi, da da, DAH dah.

Dixie horn? Heard that, s’ace.

Chuck Berry

Him too.

For me it’d be a full squadron of lancasters taking off. Or spitfires. Or mustangs. Then Vulcans.

Or a full grid of v12 f1 cars

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sorry , bit drunk… read the op as sounds you don’t hear anymore

But to answer .. stock market floor, eastend docks and wembley 91 when gazza scored against the arsenal

kerbdog
    Free Member

So much of the Sixties music particularly The Byrds, Zeppelin,Stones, Hendrix.
    Nick Drake.

Bachs Brandenburg concertos back in 1721

A flight of Spitfires

Proper dawn chorus birdsong.

richyb78
    Free Member

Oh man,

Hendrix
    Fleetwood Mac Peter green era
    Floyd
    Led Zeppelin

Nirvana

The whole of Woodstock

justinbieber

Queen in the early 70’s
    Hendrix
    Pink Floyd any time in the 70’s

sc-xc

Springsteen in ’75

I saw nirvana a few times. They were always shit, mudhoney much better.

JulianA
    Free Member

1st July 1916. No way I’d like to have been there but it’s a great shame that no recordings exist.

Cletus

The battles of Waterloo (land) and Trafalgar (sea) must have generated a whole range of amazing sounds.

The arrows at Agincourt must have sounded awesome too.

ads678

Krakatoa (sp).

jamj1974

Otis Redding and in fact the rest of the Stax artists on their European tour in ’67. Elvis recording Mystery Train for Sun records. Nirvana Unplugged for sure!

bencooper
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwlNPhn64TA[/video]

mikey74
    Free Member

Krakatoa going bang… From a distance, of course.

Apollo 11 taking off.

Main roads full of non-motorised traffic.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve heard Chuck Berry (ok it was 1992)
    I’ve heard dixie car horns
    I’ve heard the Vulcan
    I grew up with church bells on Sundays too, 80s/90s.

I’d like to have heard the noise from Mt Tambor from thousands of miles away. Also, the roar of a dinosaur or two. And maybe the complete silence of the land in the Ordivician, before anything was living on it.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Pink Floyd
    Queen
    Elvis
    Martin Luther King’s ‘I have a dream’ speech
    Any amount of Churchill’s quotes (“…you, madam, will still be ugly.”, “…best way to spoil a good walk.” etc, although I’m dubious of how many of those we see published and credited to him actually left his lips).

jimw
    Free Member

A Napier Sabre on full throttle

chakaping
    Free Member

People speaking English 500 years ago.

An angry woolly mammoth.

Maybe the velvet underground or stooges live at the time of their first albums.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Saturn rocket launch. Sadly I was only 2 but my dad used to take me to Cape Cenaveral to watch them launch, I do wish I could remeber the sound.

slackalice
    Free Member

Led Zepplin.

rOcKeTdOg

The baby I never had crying for the first time

garage-dweller

The sound of big steam engines being properly worked at speed with a decent load.

choppersquad
    Free Member

A Tyrannosaurus Rex in full roar mode……from a distance.

ElShalimo

A Dr No era Ursula Andress orgasm (as a result of my efforts)

cfinnimore
    Free Member

A dinosaur ROAR

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think Rocketdog might have won this. 😥

Me? I’d love to have heard what London was like during the blitz, just to soak up the atmosphere (I know its a bit dark).
    The sounds of a busy railway station in steam days.
    The background hum you get in a town when its snowing heavily.

slowoldman

Well looking at some of these I realise how lucky I am to be so old and to have heard some of them. No not a T Rex. Not quite.

I like the idea of hearing Bach at the time and also English 500 years ago.

As a student in Sheffield I was in hall of residence just around the corner from Ranmoor church. I really loved lying in bed on a Sunday listening to the bells. I more recently stayed in a hotel in Lubeck, Germany (actually opposite the Marienkirche, where Bach went to meet Buxtehude). The bells across the city on a Sunday morning are fabulous.

Just so you know, Floyd in the 70s WERE brilliant, as were Zeppelin. I missed seeing Zappa – I had tickets for the tour when he was punted off the stage by some moron.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Sounds of the past you'd like to have heard live…’ is closed to new replies.