Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Soundproofing walls
  • teenrat

Our house has thin wall and we can hear our neighbours, especially as they have a small boy. Id like to soundproof the walls but dont know the best way to do it.

Ive seen some soundproofing wallpaper (6mm thick latex) but am worried this a DIY, cheap fix that may not work.

other option is battening and insulating. However, in our bedroom, the door frame goes right upto the wall. So any soundproofing greater than 20mm thick will mean the door needs to be moved over and the job becomes much, much bigger I would also like to soundproof the stairs wall, but am conscious that battening could reduce the width of the stairs and create a safety issue.

Any got any thoughts on solutions or the width/thickness that battening/insulating would need to be?

matt_outandabout

Speak to these chaps – used them for advice and product, self fitted and it was teh awesome.

https://www.soundstop.co.uk/soundproofing_walls.php

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I had exactly the same problem, including the bedroom door issue. I looked into all kinds of solutions.

I moved house.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get some bigger speakers.. as long as your noise is louder than next doors noise you won’t hear them…

andysredmini
    Free Member

You could be throwing money away. The problem with sound proofing is that there are two types of sound you need to stop. Airborne and impact. Airborne is easy enough to reduce, As the name suggests its sound that’s travelling through the air and can be reduced with insulation. Impact sound is sound that transmits through the fabric of the building. You need to install a product to isolate parts of the building so the sound cant transmit which is very hard in an existing building. I have designed a few offices inside factories and there is a lot more to reducing sound than just a bit of insulation. Doing a half hearted job is almost no better than doing nothing at all.

poolman
    Free Member

I had a the same problem so battoned out both adjoining walls, filled with rockwool and put 2 layers of plasterboard on. A bit miffed in hindsight it was our cost but both neighbours benefit.

The sound deadening wallpaper looked pretty useless.

We just did the lounge, but it was worst on the stairs.

Soon as we could afford it we moved. Next house was so quiet, good luck btw.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Airborne is possibly the easiest to reduce but only if you pay attention to every single little detail, like flanking transmission around floors and over the top of party walls etc.

tinribz
    Free Member

Lived in a semi where next door was rented and and the difference in noisy and quiet (normal) neighbors was night and day.

I’ll just leave this here: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/28/man-forces-annoying-neighbours-to-move-out-by-doing-really-creepy-things-5971460/

newrobdob
    Free Member

That’s awesome!

poolman
    Free Member

Thats brilliant

wwaswas

We took this approach in a previous Victorian terrace we had. It certainly reduced the transmitted noise but it didn’t eliminate it. Worth doing but don;t expect silence at the end, I guess.

https://www.soundstop.co.uk/soundproofing/soundproofing-walls/Independent-wall-solution3.php

john_drummer
    Free Member

Get some bigger speakers.. as long as your noise is louder than next doors noise you won’t hear them…

Ah yes, noise wars. Unwinnable.
    But a nice big drum kit being seen to be moved in can be a nice deterrent. Or a Marshall* 4×12

*other guitar amps are available

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Soundproofing walls’ is closed to new replies.