Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Soundbars….I take it all back…
  • DrP

SO I’ve often waxed lyrical about the soundbar (and bluetooth sub) combo that I’ve had for our lounge TV for sometime.
    Often chirping into threads where people ask about them – I’ve said that it sounds MUCH better than the stock speakers on LED TVs etc etc – this much is true.

I’ve never been too keen on the trailing wires of a full 7.1 setup, and TBH i typically listen to music (via soundbar) and watch crap/kids TV – hence no need for full surround.

A few days ago, on a whim, I got delivered a pair of the Q-acoustic BT3 speakers – I thought I’d give them a try to see what the hype was about, as I was considering having something ‘like them’ wall mounted when we get our kitchen done.. I like the fact the ‘amp’ is contained within the speaker itself, and it’s got an adequate number of inputs.

So I’ve taken the soundbar away, and plonked a speaker either side of the TV, plugged the TV in via optical, and have an echo dot in via 3.5mm..

Blimey – it’s as if my ears have ‘woken up‘ and I’m hearing sounds for the first time!!! It sounds ruddy fantastic! Literally, it’s like new noises are entering my ears!
    Don’t get me wrong – the soundbar was such a step up over the TV’s own speakers, but the BT3 are fab!

I used to have a lovely audio setup (pre kids..) with some nice denon bookshelf speakers (Up in the loft still) and amp – these really are comparible to that.

The TV sounds incredible, and listening to music has become a pleasure again!

So basically, if you’re looking to get a sound bar to improve your TV sound adn listen to music, really do consider these!

DrP

Also, the q-acoustic M4 soundbar gets really good reviews too – it’s about £330 so a bit more pricey..that would be interesting to test drive too! (though the wife would kill me if I get any more audio stuff – now up to 2 echos and an echo dot this year!)

scaredypants

plugged the TV in via optical, and have an echo dot in via 3.5mm..

directional though, yeah ?? That‘s the difference

rone

Soundbars are still a heavily compromised way of getting sound under your telly.

The BT3 have been around for a while and are great.

Cougar

“Real speakers sound better” shocker. You just need three more now.

ajantom

I recently hooked up our TV to a set of Genelec monitors that were being unused since I upgraded in my ‘studio’.
    Now that sounds good! A set of decent quality active studio monitors take some beating 😀 I think they were £600 or so new 😳 maybe a bit overkill for the lounge!

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno, in’t it obvious that a pair of active speakers will sound better than a single sound bar? I know mine do, but I never use them cos they haven’t got a remote!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

[/quote] speakers sound better” shocker. You just need three more now

You’re having a laugh right?

Cougar

Yeah.

It’s 2017, should be five more.

DrP

Well it is obvious, but for a similar price (£199 for speakers..that’s sound bar range) I wasn’t aware it would be SO much better.

Plus, doing away with the need for separate amp was a real bonus!

DrP

funkmasterp

Currently have a pair of Sonos play one speakers, would you say these are better sound quality for music? They definitely seem more multipurpose.

mahalo

this is a slight hijack sorry, we have just moved house, the previous occupants had a small sitting room for TV duties that had 4No Bose speakers in each corner. i asked and paid extra for them to leave them behind (as i really didnt want exposed holes in the walls as they’re all chased in) so now im left with a bunch of wires poking out of the wall behind the tele but nothing to plug them into.
    I assume i need some kind of amp? what kind of amp do i need? ive never had an amp before, kind of feels a bit old fashioned? – i have a soundbar from the old house that i just plugged in via optical, job done!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m a bit like DrP in that “I bought a sound bar system for the tv, plugged it in and accepted its output” but I might just do something like this.

Thanks for posting.

IHN

How big are the BT3s?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Always had the TV connected to the hifi for years, through many system upgrades.

Never saw the point in “soundbars” except as a way of extracting cash from people with more money than sense…

angeldust
    Free Member

Glad the OP has found it out for himself, but it’s pretty obvious that 5 (or 7, or 11 etc etc) speakers are going to do a much better job of separating the sounds and surrounding the listener, than a single box sitting under the TV trying to bounce them around.

angeldust
    Free Member

Never saw the point in “soundbars” except as a way of extracting cash from people with more money than sense…

Bit unfair. They do improve the sound compared to most build in flat screen speakers. Mostly bought by people whose other halves don’t want lots of speakers and wires in the living room?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll admit I just walked into John Lewis and said “that tv, and the soundbar and surround system that goes with it”
    And walked out…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Always disliked “surround sound”. Noises off from what you’re looking at.

Surround-sound with a VR headset however, now you’re talking…

DezB
    Free Member

Never saw the point in “soundbars” except as a way of extracting cash from people with more money than sense.

Well, I have an old plasma TV and the sound isn’t great. The layout of my room doesn’t lend itself well to speakers (except the active ones on my wall, but they’re too far from the telly) and the fact that I have a next door neighbour means there is no point having volume blasting out through some expensive kit. So, £45 soundbar, sits in the cabinet, much improvement and doesn’t annoy old Doris.
    (“More money than sense”… from an “audiophile”
    )

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

One could argue that crap sound has been designed into more recent TVs to sell them at a cheaper price point and then get people to buy overpriced plastic logs with speakers inside…

I use an old Acoustic Energy Aego pair of speakers with subwoofer on the one tv not plugged into proper hifi – wall mounted and discrete and white, it works really well.

midlifecrashes

Bit of a daft question, but can you set it so left and right are reversed? In our front room the telly and power sockets are on the left of the chimney breast, so we’d have the speaker without the gubbins over on the right.

rone

They’re a convenient upgrade over dismal TV speakers. Nothing more.

mattyfez

One could argue that crap sound has been designed into more recent TVs to sell them at a cheaper price point

Maybe, but given how flat TVs are, it’s difficult to fit reasonable size speakers into them, mind you there’s no reason why they couldn’t squeeze something like creative t40’s into the design, would add about £80 to the price.

That would be a decent improvement over what they normally come with but still not arguably good enough for a larger screen.

You just can’t beat a dedicated amp and speakers for big high quality sound, not even nessesarily a high end set.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I hate the sound that comes from most modern TVs.
    Being tight I didn’t want to pay out for a soundbar either.
    So I’ve got an old Pioner amp connected to the TV via an optical / aux converter and a couple of old Wharfdale speakers.
    So much better. Ok it doesn’t have a remote, but the TV recorder does, so works a treat. Only had to buy the converter for about £12 and that was it.
    Speakers sit behind the TV and amp in the unit underneath.

whitestone
    Free Member

Some years ago I wired the TV audio through an old Sony hifi system (separates not a mini or midi system) – amazing sound. Our current living room configuration doesn’t allow for that any more.

br
    Free Member

I hard-wired our previous house for full-surround sound, took me a few days and we were decorating anyway…

Also did our current house, big job but it’s such a large room that no way could TV speakers fill it. Did the hifi too (different speakers that we wanted in a different place).

DrP

Mr whoppit missing the point there! I’m sure we could ask walk through your life as make similar statements of your “convenience vs quality” items!!

Anyway, as per my op, I don’t want 5/7/34.1 surround sound! Hence the sound bar choice initially.. But the bt3 offer similar convenience, with vastly superior sound.

Re the channel swap..I asked q acoustics just that, as for our pole room (what, you don’t have a pole dancing room at home??!!) The setup would only work if everything went into the LEFT speaker. Alas, you can’t swap..

DrP

freeagent
    Free Member

Bit harsh – we bought a £500 48″ Sony TV just over a year ago, and picked up a Sony Soundbar with separate wireless subwoofer at the same time.
    The difference when the sound system is turned on is noticeable, especially ‘big’ sound on action films.

stumpy01

Mr Woppit – Member

Always had the TV connected to the hifi for years, through many system upgrades.

LOL

I take it this was an attempt at ironic humour or something?

mahalo

please, what Amp for surround sound?

Painey
    Free Member

what Amp for surround sound

A basic search on the net will surely give you a few results for this? I don’t mean that in a condescending way but it will help you know.

I’ve got an Arcam amp but it’s a little pricey.

Cougar

Yamaha.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for posting. I listened to sound bars and then just plugged in my old £50 pc//iPod music speaker. I also have an ancient flatscreen Sony with integrated side speakers and although its only 720 the all round experience ex sport is better imho.

angeldust
    Free Member

What HiFi is a good place to start if you have absolutely no idea. I believe the recommended budget (~£500!) brand at the moment is Denon, with Pioneer and Yamaha also good choices as you start looking at £800-£1500+.

If you are talking cheapo systems, I have no idea.

batfink
    Free Member

Dr P: does it work with your tv remote? Advertising bumf suggests that it might…. but only talks specifically about sky/cable boxes

mahalo

its difficult to search when you dont really know what you’re looking for, but nothing will ever sound impressive enough for me to spend >£500.

will probably just end up using the old soundbar…

angeldust
    Free Member

its difficult to search when you dont really know what you’re looking for, but nothing will ever sound impressive enough for me to spend >£500.

I’m sure people say very similar things about mountain bikes.

z1ppy

Anyone got any views on what to look for in a clear voice systems/options? Don’t care about overall sound but want to hear the dialogue

angeldust
    Free Member

I imagine at under £500 you are looking at Currys specials integrated surround sound systems that also include the speakers (LG, Samsung, Panasonic etc all do them).

mahalo

i already have all the speakers and the sub, just no junction for connecting them to the tv. i had no idea they were such pricey bits of kit. could even replace my old sound bar with a pretty smart new one for a lot less than the price of some amps ive been looking at… im not that arsed about premium quality audio, just the tv in its own sounds shit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Soundbars….I take it all back…’ is closed to new replies.