Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Soundbars, are they any good?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

I’ve been using a logitech 5.1 system for the past year or so which I’ve been very happy with, but it’s not actually mine and my mate wants it back. So I have the option of either getting the newer version of that (£349 so I’d rather not), getting a different 5.1 system (can’t seem to find much good with optical input for under £200 – suggestions?) or the other option is a sound bar. The telly is mostly used for gaming and films so 5.1 might be preferable but I’ve never used a decent sound bar so willing to be proven wrong. The one I was looking at is the Philips HTL5140 due to price and good reviews.

mattyfez

If theres a richer sounds near you, you may be able to audition one:
    Richer sounds

I’d tend to agree, a 5.1 system for less thn £200 will be cutting a few corners, I’d expect youd get a better quality soundbar/sub combo if you don’t mind loosing the rear speakers.

hughjengin
    Free Member

I recently bought a cheap LG soundbar (with built in sub). I dont watch loads of action movies, dont have a suitable size room for separates. So for no other reason than to improve the sound quality over the standard rubbish round the back flat screen tinny TV speakers. I watched John Wick last night and the difference with a £120 soundbar over the standard was night and day. I shudder to think how much better a top end one with seperate sub would be ! But for £120 I am very happy

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If your original TV speakers have really output or zero base then bars with some bass, 200W and Bluetooth will be great.

thehustler
    Free Member

I in the past have had a pretty good sony wireles 5.1 system, I currently use this

samsung sound bar

I dont miss the 5.1 TBH

isto
    Free Member

If you have a look at the Yamaha YSP ones they seem to get really good reviews and are designed to bounce the sound of walls so it replicates 5.1. They also have an app so you can tell it how your room is configured to get the best sound. I think this one is the cheapest and is now around £220…..but you might be able to find it somewhere for under £200.

andykirk
    Free Member

Get a 2 channel amplifier and small bookshelf speakers. Will literally kick the pants off any soundbar at 200 quid. And you can use it for music or as part of another system.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Sound bars are great…if you can set them up right
    2 weeks ago I had a Sony tv with a Sony sound bar hooked up by a optic cable and it was great …telly at one end of the room and sound bar opposite and sound came out of the sound bar and the telly …so to me it was truly surround sound

Now I have a Samsung smart tv….and it’s not quite right….for a start I can only have sound out of the TV or the sound bar….not both…..

Now I’ve still got some playing to do because last time I watch a dvd with the sound bar …the dialogue was real quiet so I turned it up …then there was machine gun fire…..and fooking hell my ears nearly popped…how loud!!
    I’m sure I’ll get the right set up ….
    Or maybe it’s because Samsung TVs only like Samsung sound bars???

scaredypants

I bought a soundbase for our telly – it’s very good IMO and it was in no way a posh one. My reckoning was that I’d get a reasonably big “cabinet” but with very little frontal area, so unobtrusive.

sparkyrhino

Got a cheapy one £65 with built in sub,optical input and built in DAB,from Currys.Don’t watch much tv,but great for films and music

djflexure

Have a look at the sound bases too – if they fit your scheme. Have a Canton which is great. Lots of base. Speach good. Does a mock surround that I quite like. Richer Sounds do demo’s.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Soundbars, are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.