Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sould I sell the Soda for a Blue Pig?
  • squin
    Free Member

I’ve been really bad this year and ridden only a handful of times (in years gone by I would be out every weekend and do MM and SITS etc). I’m starting to get the feeling back that I want to start riding again so the itch for a new bike is coming back too.

I don’t want to spend additional money on a new bike, but have had the idea that I could sell my Cotic Soda frame – proper one, not these newfangled ones 😉 and get a Blue pig and some appropriate forks with the money.

I really love the Soda but will I regret selling it to try a Blue Pig?

Also what d’ya reckon the frame is worth – £600?

Thanks,

Stu.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

You will regret it – imho

Northwind

Hmmm… Well, I went from my Soul to an Mmmbop, I love the handling… But tbh I wouldn’t buy a Pig for all that. If I can’t find a new Mmmbop (mine has gone back on warranty and they’re almost sold out) I might get a Blue Pig X but definately not a standard one.

nicko74

You’d sell a Soda for a Blue Pig? I guess if you’re really after the angles or burliness then fair enough – but for most trail duties, surely the Soda with 130mm Revs is more than sufficient?
    You’ve got a great frame there, so why not just hunt on the classifieds for some hidden bargains for kit?

nicko (who also has a Soda and wouldn’t dream of selling it…)

romster
    Free Member
    PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Northwind, will probably be selling my mmmbop if you find it hard to get a replacement. mine’s and 18incher.

Northwind

PaulGillespie, might well be interested in that… Still waiting for CRC’s nod but I’ll keep you in mind for sure, cheers!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Nae bother

BadlyWiredDog

I suspect it depends on what you want the bike to do. I put the bits from my Setavento ti Rocky Ridge thing onto a Blue Pig out of curiosity and it’s a rather different kettle of fishies.

1. The ‘vento was frisky, I guess the Soda would be too, the Pig is significantly heavier and also while it has some flexibility out back, it’s significantly sturdier feeling in all directions.

2. Angles – the Pig has a slack head angle, which means it’s planted on fast and techy downhills and also on climbs, but it doesn’t change direction on a sixpence. It’s more Ronaldo, the Brazilian one, in his prime, than Lionel Messi, if you follow football.

3. In my opinion anyway, the Pig doesn’t particularly like flattish or easy angled stuff, it just sort of sulks through that sort of terrain. It loved the final descent at the Marin Trail today, but the gently rising stuff it just snorted at.

It’s a very different sort of bike, depends on where you ride I guess and what you want. What do you want it to do?

rob2
    Free Member

That is an amazing deal on the mmbop. Rude really

Alek
    Free Member

NO………..keep it and have two set ups. One XCish and another AMish.

Up to you to define both. Remember, its a great versatile frame.

I’m a Soda convert for some time (can’t you tell 😀 )

Aus
    Free Member

squin … I’m after a Soda if you do think of selling … email in profile

Marmoset
    Free Member

No – you’re clearly not rad enough Stu 😀 I’d stick with the Soda.

bol

What Alec said. I’ve got an tough XC build and a light AM build for my soda – effectively swapping xc tyres for fatties, low rise bars for wide highrise and Thomson for gravity dropper. It completely transforms the feel of the bike, and in my opinion it’s perfect for both. I had an mmmbop for a while, and while it was fun it is a far less versatile bike.

squin
    Free Member

Marmoset – you clearly don’y remember me whooping the doubles on the jumps in Delamere and riding ‘no brains’ one handed!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

That JE JAmes deal is – save for the headset model – exactly what I bought. Fortunately I paid more or less the same price 🙂

The downside is that I expect lots of green mmmBops with white forks on the trails 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sould I sell the Soda for a Blue Pig?’ is closed to new replies.