Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Soul – transfer to Nickel?
  • jp
    Free Member

So, after 4 years of loving my Soul it’s time for a change. Had a go on a Nickel at the weekend and loved it.

Question is, what’s the most cost effective way to do it? Current bike is quite a nice spec and has pretty light use running 130mm forks so I’m trying to work out what what will be the minimum of new bits I need to by to make the transition or if it would be more cost effective to go for a full new build and sell my soul . . . So to speak.

Any thoughts appreciated!

soulwood
    Free Member

Don’t sell your Soul. Keep the frame, maybe somewhere nice on view, if not keep it nicely wrapped up in the loft or something. Ride your FS for about a year and then see articles in mags where somebody raves about how fantastic a Soul is to ride, even compared to 6″ FS bikes. At least then you won’t have to either try and locate a decent s/hand one off interweb or face forking out nearly £500 for a new one. Thats what I did. Don’t do what I did. The grass isn’t greener, its just a different type of grass. Don’t sell your Soul….so to speak.

RealMan
    Free Member

+1

2 bikes are better then 1

mansonsoul
    Free Member

So, after 4 years of loving my Soul it’s time for a change.

Why? Do you not still love your Soul? Change for the sake of change isn’t always that good an idea. Be content and save yourself loads of money.

Or just splash out on a frame, headset, seatclamp and seatpost shim.

jp
    Free Member

Hmm. Hadn’t thought about keeping the frame. Probably not a bad idea and could maybe build it up over time into something low maintenance for the winter months.

Certainly don’t dislike the Soul, it’s just I was surprised by how direct the Nickel felt going up-hill and massively enjoyed the downs!

So looks as though with new frame, headset, seatclamp and seatpost shim I might be in business?

Thanks for the info.
    JP

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

sorry for my ignorance but what is a nickel?

Recycler
    Free Member

I had the same dilema a couple of years ago. Moved from a Handjob (which I loved)to the Soul which is awesome and built it up with XT and 130mm Revs. Fantastic bike which I still love to ride.

I then had a demo at Dalby on a Zesty and like you, fell in love with FS (quite a good climber and a hoot on the downs). I bought one 6 weeks later, but ended up not swapping over any of the kit, but just upgraded when parts started to wear.

I have kept both and was really pleased in the end, as the Soul is just so iconic and carries alot of good memories of great rides. Having said that, the Zesty has also a few great tales to tell now its two years old.

Keep both and love them both for what they are.

Good luck

jp
    Free Member

Sorry, should have said, Santa Cruz Nickel. Doesn’t look anything out of the ordinary but rides great.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

thanks jp.i did think it was a santa cruz.like the rest of the guys on this thread have said i would try and keep your frame.resale value isnt great and also nothing is getting cheaper to buy so its nearly 500 for a new one.obviously you may need the money so its not always viable.do the right thing 🙂

jp
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I’ll make some enquiries this morning. Keeping the frame seems like the right thing to do if I can afford to. Cheers.

takisawa2

Let me bore you with my tale. 🙂
    So I have a Ventana FS. Lovely bike. But for most of my riding its OTT. Also had a rigid 26er SS Inbred. Now I love the SS. Winter night rides, cheeky half hour rides before / after work etc. Its great. As the FS began to gather dust I began to wonder if a HT might be the way to go full time. And to further complicate matters, I came to figured a 29er HT might actually make the FS redundant. So along comes said 29er. Run as SS at first. Love it. Really love it. Great bike. So along come a set of maxle Revs, a 1×10 set-up & an evening building the front wheel onto a Pro2 hub. But suddenly the HT has lost what I loved about it as rigid SS. It was heavier. And it lost the cheeky feel to it, if that makes any sense. Heading out early one morning I happened to grab the FS. Oh yess. For me, the HT was a bit of a compromise too far, & (when in the mood) the FS is simply great. Riding each makes me appreciate the other, if that makes any sense also.
    Its been an expensive learning curve. 🙂
    So dont sell the Soul.
    If you have to, keep it built as a spare chassis, so you only need to swap wheels, forks. Pick up a spare mech(s), & shifters on some bars & keep it cabled up ready to go.
    I wouldnt sell it. No chance.

jp
    Free Member

Wise words – I’m going to need a bigger shed!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

+1 for the n+1 rule, if you can afford to keep the soul do so. If youre keen on getting the FS you could put all your nice kit on that frame and build the soul up with cheaper used stuff off here so youve got 2 bikes. By buying the kit used you wont lose much if anything if you decide to re-build the Soul with the nice kit and re-sell the other stuff. That was more succint in my head!

Having a choice of HT and FS is great.

Teapot
    Free Member

JP, what size Nickel frame are you looking for? Thinking of selling my large as I’ve only riddeen it a few times. It’s seabright blue with an RP23 shock if that helps.

If you’re interested email me – mark_greshonATyahoo.co.uk

jp
    Free Member

Thanks All. Teapot – YGM

toys19
    Free Member

Maybe the nickel felt great because it had new gears/brakes/susp etc. New bikes always feel sharp. Give the soul a good loving and service, start with new chain,cassette and gear cables.

I have a dh bike, and am bike (for when there is no uplift) and a Bfe hardtail. I love my hardtail, its awesome.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Soul – transfer to Nickel?’ is closed to new replies.