Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • soul sizing
  • karnali
    Free Member

deciding between a scandal and a soul i’m between 5’8 and 5’9 have ridden 16 inch inbred, 456 and scandal int he past fit is lovely

what size soul medium or small after a lightish fast hardtail

ta

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m 5’9 and a bit, I was riding a 16′ Scandal but went with the medium soul. I use the same stem length but now run an inline post rather than one with layback, and prefer the posistion. As balance I had also ran a small PA 15.5′, which was OK for a blast round the woods but just a little to small for me for all day runs. Your right on the line height wise, drop ’em a line

johnners
    Free Member

Small. Drop Cy a line for a chat if you’re in doubt, he’ll put you right.

takisawa2

5′ 8.5″ here & just built a small Soul up.
    Using a Thomson In-line & 90mm x 10deg X4 stem, & Pikes set at 130mm.
    Certainly enough room top tube length wise, in fact its a perfect fit.

My only concern is the amount of seat tube left showing to get a comfortable saddle height. The Thomson is a 410mm length jobbie. Min insertion is 75mm & I’m running with about 120mm in the frame. It’s probably ok but it just looks a bit iffy ?

Its a lovely ride by the way. 🙂

karnali
    Free Member

boatman how do you find the soul compare tohe scandal?

ta

richcc
    Free Member

5’9″ – 5′ 10″ here and ride a medium Soul

theboatman
    Free Member

Soul has a bit more spring, and is less harsh than the scandal when clattering over stuff. The scandal was lighter and more direct, very effiecient and quick off the block, but the soul has plenty of zip. The scandal was the first non-steel HT I’ve ever owned, and I was really chuffed with it (and it took some hammer), but I prefer steel and I’m currently loving my soul. Although not scientific and just my opinion, if I could only take one bike to a deserted island, out of all the bikes I’ve owned, currently I’d take the soul.

Northwind

Karnali, I’m just about to replace my Scandal with a Soul… To be fair part of my problem with the Scandal is that I’ve got a small, and at 5’10 it’s just a bit too wee for me, despite On One reckoning it’s ok for my size. But mainly, I find it doesn’t climb well with my build, with the slack seatpost the front end is too light on pedalled climbing even with a zero layback post so it’s a constant pogo.

Lovely on the descents though, totally confidence inspiring with 130mm in the front. (I could have re-specced it to run better at 100mm, but I found I couldn’t build a setup that worked well at both ends of the u-turn, and so I sacrificed climbing in favour of travel and slackness)

I was happy enough with that and content to just consider the slightly wayward climbing the price I had to pay for the excellent downhill and flat handling- which really is good- but a testride on the Soul showed me you can have both. So, going to pick up my frame this week hopefully.

Oh, the medium Scandals are sold out at On One btw 😉 I’ll have a small to sell hopefully by next week. But personally I’d say that if you can stretch to the Soul, it’s the better frame. It should be, it costs twice as much! The Scandal is still a good frame though, I could have been perfectly happy with it if I’d never tried the Soul I think.

soops
    Free Member

I love my soul too! 5ft 11 and riding a medium.

Haze

5’7 small simple, spot on for me!

Christowkid
    Free Member

there’s currently another Soul sizing thread on the forum, that might help too.
    I’m 5’8 1/2″ on a small, perfect fit for me, 90mm/10deg stem and in-line post, use Rev’s 100mm for the up’s and wind it to 130mm to come home.
    I bought my frame second hand ” only one trip guv….” and to be fair judging by the condition of it, it’s true. The person was 5’10” i think, and just ‘over’ the line from small to medium, and needed the medium, so i had his small!
    Lovely ride, fits me well.
    Q ( a very happy bunny )

MoreCashThanDash

Contact Cy and he’ll set you right

FWIW, I’m 5’9″ and Cy advised me to have a medium Soul and 90mm stem which was spot on

karnali
    Free Member

northwind is your scandal a 16 centre to top or a 14 inch if it is a 16 how much will you want for it and do you have acouple of pics, if so send them to martin_varey@yahoo.com i could be very interested

ta

Northwind

I’ll need to get it in bits and get the tape off it to make sure it’s in the condition I think it is before I decide on a price, but fingers crossed and I should pick up my soul tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll have it stripped tomorrow night. It’s the black anodised one, and 16″ centre to top. If you don’t hear from me, feel free to drop me an email at andrew@blackjack.f9.co.uk, I’m a bit forgetful 😛

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘soul sizing’ is closed to new replies.