Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Soul fork dilemma
  • Scapegoat

My lad wants a new hardtail frame to replace the Mmmbop he’s grown out of. My immediate thoughts were BFe or newer Soul as he has a Magura Thor 140 to put on it. There doesn’t seem to be much around in terms of BFes but we’ve been offered a 2009 Soul. So, we have the option of getting that, and putting the Thor on it, or of that doesn’t work selling the Thor and getting a 120 fork. (There are also even more convoluted combinations such as putting the Thor on my Mk3 Soul and giving him my Reba.. )
    Will a 2009 catch on fire and kill us all in a vengeful fireball if we run it with a Thor on a Zero Stack (A-C is about 520mm) ?

Vortexracing

I ran a 140mm Pike on my (non warrantied for 140mm fork) Soul for 2 years and I’m still here.

Klunk
    Free Member

5 years 140mm talas on my soul, though I run a tad more sag than usual, suits both the fork and the bike.

tonyd

I have a 2006ish Soul with an XMC 130 and it suits it very well. As Klunk says, if you’re overly bothered about it just run a little more sag.

davewalsh
    Free Member

The Soul was revised around 2009 and warranted for a 140mm fork at the same time, It would be worth sending an e-mail to cotic with the frame number to check. Also, you can’t zero stack a 2009 soul as it’s a standard 1 1/8″ headtube.

As you’ve already got the forks, there’s nothing lost in giving them a try. Personally I’d put the thor on your Mk3 (with zero stack if sufficient crown clearance) and the Reba on the 2009.

Scapegoat

Can anyone tell me the headtube length on a 2009 Soul, medium? The Thor has a 180mm steerer.

fizzicist
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. The Thor runs with quite a bit of sag generally. I’ve been running an 08/09 Soul on a thor for ages although it spends the majority of its time in travel reduced mode. 180mm should be *just* enough as long as you don’t want to space the stem up.

Scapegoat

Thanks. No problem with running it slammed, and he has a stem with a 30mm stack height. Looks like we may well try it and see.

Scapegoat

Well, here it is. Rides really well so far, running the 140 Thor sagged.
    He finished building it yesterday.

nicko74

Can I just say, I wish my dad was like you – upgrading my mmmbop to a Soul with Thors upfront!

Scapegoat

The Mmmbop was a 13th birthday present. He went without presents for birthday and Christmas from all main relatives, sold a BMX, a Cube attention and an old pool table to be able to afford it. He was proud to say he owned it all.

The Soul frame here was £200 and all the other kit except the saddle, seatpost, grips and headset came off the Ragley. He’s sold the frame and some other bits are on ebay . He owes me £100, less what the used bits on eBay fetch, which he’ll pay off through gardening and car cleaning duties.

He knows all about the value of money……. 8)

Scapegoat

Oh, and it stops him riding mine.

martinhutch

And the thing is, it will give you almost as much pleasure watching him ride it.

Until he’s smoking off into the distance while you struggle behind.

Speshpaul

He knows all about the value of money…….
    and seems prepared to earn it. good works gents.

and if it was a large soul it would be a twin to mine, so of course it looks great.

letmetalktomark

Looks smart.

I ran my soul, briefly, with a Thor at 140mm but couldn’t get the sag stiffness right, it was a bit “divey”.

Front rotor looks to be on the wrong way around …..

cy

Loving this. Nice to have the boy into his Cotic’s already.

Scapegoat

Front rotor looks to be on the wrong way around …..

I think you might be right….. teach me to check!

cy – Member
    Loving this. Nice to have the boy into his Cotic’s already.

One ride on mine was all it took.

Scapegoat

Just checked the rotor. It’s a Superstar one, and has a directional arrow, which points the way it’s mounted. Odd.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Looks nice. Hope he’ll have some fun on it!

Scapegoat

Hi MrT, looks pretty good doesn’t it. He’s chuffed to bits, so thanks for a great deal.

matther01
    Free Member

Knowing the value of money…good lad. Obviously being brought up well…especially being weened onto a Soul!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Soul fork dilemma’ is closed to new replies.