Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Soul 275
  • amedias
    Free Member

so that wasn’t at all unexpected then 🙂

wwaswas

amedias
    Free Member

interesting comments about adjusting geometry to better suit inline posts

faustus

oh, which company was it that was recently preaching ’26 ain’t dead? Oh, right. I see…

funklenut
    Free Member

Wonder if a Rocket 275 is on the cards too?

bikeryder85
    Free Member

just saw this myself! Glad to see someone beat me to posting it! If this is true, i hope it comes in the awesome looking gritstone/black stealth combo!

wwaswas

oh, which company was it that was recently preaching ’26 ain’t dead? Oh, right. I see…

from the press release:

And before you go calling us ‘splitters’ and ‘sellouts’ #26aintdead! The original Soul (now Soul26) and BFe are still very much available and yet to be replaced in our affections, but we now have a 27.5″ wheel option to run alongside them for all you modernists out there.

amedias
    Free Member

I guess that’s why said in the press relaease they’ll be offering the Soul in 26 and 27.5 (their description of 650B, not mine!) flavours then, but for how long* 😉

*I guess the honest answer is until people stop asking for/buying them.

wukfit
    Free Member

And it comes in blue, not sure on the matte finish though 😕

letmetalktomark

Longer TT than Soul.

Me likey.

everyone
    Free Member

That would definitely be exciting!

kelvin

Longer TT than Soul.

It is a Soul…

= ;87)

The longer TT on this version is explained on the website… same reach, it’s just the saddle position adjusted for inline posts.

wukfit
    Free Member

Link to the page (took me a while to find it)
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul275

jruk
    Free Member

Sorry Cotic, I love your bikes, but it sounds like trying to find a reason to justify a shift to 27.5 that’s really happening for marketing reasons (if you’re shifting to 27.5 for sales reasons just be honest and say it).

Are really going to be producing both versions of the Soul longterm? Can’t see it myself.

faustus

‘Yet’ being the operative word. I like it that their press release is honest enough to say ‘hang on, we still do 26’, rather than disowning all that had preceeded it as out of date trolley wheels.

It’s interesting how companies choose between using 650b, 27.5 or 275 moniker. It needs someone with enough balls to call a bike ‘27.1 and a half’, or something.

kelvin

Sorry Cotic, I love your bikes, but it sounds like trying to find a reason to justify a shift to 27.5 that’s really happening for marketing reasons (if you’re shifting to 27.5 for sales reasons just be honest and say it).

There is a 27.5 option because people asked for it.

It has been adjusted for inline posts because Cy did so for his own test bike he was riding last summer, and decided others might want the same thing.

Basically, the Soul 26 with layback post and 100mm forks was Cy’s favourite ride position, and he’s applied that same ride position to the Soul 275 with inline post and 120mm forks. Selfish of him perhaps, but doubt he’s the only one who’s moved to longer forks and inline post in recent years…

kelvin

It’s interesting how companies choose between using 650b, 27.5 or 275 moniker. It needs someone with enough balls to call a bike ‘27.1 and a half’, or something.

I suggested calling it “27”, so that there were 26, 27 and 29 models, but far wiser people said that would only confuse matters. Which it would.

ceepers

Of course it’s for sales reasons. Cy would be absolutely mad not to do 27.5 in the current industry climate. It’s his business and livelihood not a community project. As long as it’s a good bike which I’m sure it is, good for him!

bikeryder85
    Free Member

-edit to my above post

They will have gritstone! woot!

scruff
    Free Member

Cy, make a 26inch Freeride frame, once everyone bores of smooth Enduro style DH courses it’ll be back to hucking and 48 spoke wheels.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

^^ lol

chiefgrooveguru

Would those same ballsy companies rebrand their 29ers as 28.5ers then?

ahwiles
    Free Member

I’m sure most of us can accept that an XL 26er has a ‘face’ that only a mother could love, but I’m a little surprised that there isn’t an XL soul27,

it’s even more surprising when you consider that Cy is about 7ft tall.

faustus

I have a 20inch framed 26er, I don’t accept! 😉 I think it needs to have a nicely sloped TT to get away with it, otherwise they do look like gates. Then again, if you’re tall and want a bike to fit, you don’t have much choice!?

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you’re tall and want a bike to fit, you don’t have much choice!?

cough29ercough

faustus

One day perhaps, but not while my 26er works well…

And because it’s friday and I feel like being rude: I live on a barge, so I don’t want my mtb to steer like one!

(is it home time yet?)

ahwiles
    Free Member

you may be onto something there, i’m actually quite good at steering barges…

iainc

oh well, thats my 11 month old Soul obselete now and devalued 😯

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

I’ve been playing at this, currently got a Rocket with 275 wheels and rubber queens, its got a shorter stroke, shorter shock on to keep the BB height the same, needed some offset bushings too, just about to get some new forks to drop the front end too. So far its still way more fun as a 26 er but I guess I’ve just got way to much tim eon my hands.
    Something tells me a Cotic 29er full suss will be coming soon though

amedias
    Free Member

oh well, thats my 11 month old Soul obselete now and devalued

Still rides as good as the day you bought it, and 2nd hand value only matters if you plan to sell.

roverpig

And it’s not the Soul 275 that has devalued your bike. Nobody wanted your 26″ frame yesterday either 🙂

robowns
    Free Member

That happened the other month when they sold off the old colours for a discount.

kelvin

That happened the other month when they sold off the old colours for a discount.

No, it happened 4 years ago, when the Solaris 29er came out….

= ;87)

[ weird logic ] [ wheel size options have made us all ga ga ] [ ride it ! ] [ optional not better ]

chiefgrooveguru

Whatever the wheel size, mountain bike frames are a bad investment… Just ride it (like you stole it!)

scruff
    Free Member

Something tells me a Cotic 29er full suss will be coming soon though

Cant see that happening, 29 going the way of 26, diehards only. Oneone Codeine the last one you’ll see, and there wont be a 2nd batch of those until Brant does them in 650.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Cue a list of quotes from Cy about 650b being pointless?

kelvin

From today’s newsletter from Cy…

The Soul was originally conceived as a Modern Steel Hardtail. By adding a 27.5″ wheel option we’re simply carrying on with that concept. We’re not making any big statements about better or worse, we’re simply offering you the option should you so wish.

Northwind

If anyone wants to offload their pointless obsolete 26 inch museum piece I have a safe 26 inch disposal facility here and since I like Cotics, I’ll do it for a nominal fee.

jruk – Member

I think they were pretty straight up about all of this tbh, they’re not claiming it’s 11.73% more gnar like all the assorted industry bollocks, or posting graphs of better-rollingness… It’s just a Soul with fractionally bigger wheels. “handling which is virtually identical to the Soul”, “the 26 and 275 bikes handle very similarly. You ride them in the same manner and they react in a similar way.”

So I can’t see it’s for marketing reasons. It just seems to be for reason reasons. Some people want 650b, some want 26.

Bazz

What Ever Cy’s personal opinion on the middle wheel size is, if potential customers are asking for a bike with that size wheel he’d not be a good business man to not accommodate them.

bigblackshed

I respect Cy’s statement in that he’s offering something that, presumably, some people want. How he feels about 650b or 27.5 is immaterial. It’s a business decision. “Can I justify a new wheel size? Will it sell enough to warrant the R&D?” Obviously he thinks he can or will.

Question I would like to ask Cy though: Will you make the tweeks to the Soul26 with regard to inline setposts on the next version?

Other than that, all he’s done is future proof the Cotic line up IF 27.5 takes off, as the big bike companies have predicted / PR bullshitted about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Soul 275’ is closed to new replies.