• This topic has 90 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • 'sos' points on the trails….
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The 'hard' bits at trail centres should be like the flumes at swimming pools; an attendant at the top who has camera footage all the way down, so they can see when the last rider has exited and set the next off on their way. You would obviously need a serious of 'life guards' all the way down, in case of difficulty.

Drac

Cool and a camera taking pictures on the scary bit so you can buy them to show your family what fun you had.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Actually, that's quite a good idea, I'm sure it would make a good income at the trail centres.

allthepies
    Free Member

All the sharp pointy rocks should be removed and replaced with replicas made of foam. So you'd get the same gnarly experience but if you fell then would just bounce 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I'm not a climber (picture me on the end of a rope and you'd be best to imagine a wrecking ball on the end of a chain), but am aware that there has been a very longstanding debate on fixed protection on climbs, the pro argument is safety, the con argument is people climbing beyond their abilities.

I was on a ride several years ago when a rider had quite a bad crash on the descent through Lawson Park, down to Coniston. He was well concussed, even down to short term amnesia. it was only a short distance back to vehicles so we all rode down as a group back to the start point, and I persuaded the riders friend that he had to seek medical attention, which he did. If the rider had been unable to move then I'd have bivvy bagged him, and rang for MR/ambo. Some basic equipment like a cheap survival bag can make a massive difference, and should be living in most of our camelbaks year round.

Trimix
    Free Member

I would like to see the adoption of the Darwin principal of safety.

Remove all safety measures and thereby eliminate those who cant look after themselves from the gene pool.

cinnamon_girl

This year I will be holidaying on my own, with my bike, and some of my riding will be in remote areas. Every day when I go out with my bike, nobody will know where I have gone and, indeed, whether I have returned.

I ride sensibly with map, gps, spare batteries, food, drink, waterproof, first aid kit etc. Regularly ride on my own. I am totally responsible for my own safety.

Have learned lessons along the way. Managed to have an off which was pretty painful. Checked bike over, got back on and returned to car. Five days later presented myself at A & E – broken collarbone. Sometimes you just have to deal with things.

Drac

C_G is one hard chick.

cinnamon_girl

Er, stupid is the word. 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Wow – 5 days before you checked out a broken collar bone, that's core !!

It took me 6 hours to realise (my own fault, cycling home rat-arsed) – 2 mile walk home after crash, then 4 hours sleep before the errr 'anaesthetic' wore off and I looked in a mirror 😯

Drac

Took me 5 seconds after I put my dislocated shoulder back in that it was so easy to do as my collar was broke.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘'sos' points on the trails….’ is closed to new replies.