Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sort of OT but – 700C Clincher Cyclocross Mud Tyres???
  • sp
    Free Member

I need to get some mud tyres for cyclocross use, I dont want to pay silly money as I’m too fat/old/crap to justify the cost 😆 Looking for recommendations for 700C, clincher jobbies.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

If you can wait a few days, I’ll give you my verdict on the WTB Cross Wolf tyres that CRC are knocking out for a tenner.

sp
    Free Member

Heck thats a good price, Ill await your feedback, have fun.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Schwalbe cx pros. £24 for a pair off ebay. love em

paul78
    Free Member

Challenge Grifo or Clement PDX

dobo
    Free Member

those crosswolf at crc look a bargin, tempted to try them at that price. I noticed that they also have the 2012 version for over twice the money. wonder what the difference is…

michelin mud 2 are good all rounders and can handle some mud

sp
    Free Member

Not sure about the Schwalbe cx pro, looks like it would be sketch int the mud.

The Clement PDX sound good but pricey, the Challenge Grifo looks like an option. Ta

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Challenge Grifo’s are brilliant. I ran them last season in the mud & they’re the best I’ve tried for a clincher.

JoB
    Free Member

michelin mud 2 are good all rounders and can handle some mud

actually they’re not that great as an all-rounder as they’re quite soft so wear quickly, they’re pretty good mud tyres though

at a guess those WTB tyres for a tenner will be wire bead, the pricier versions will probably be folding

the Vittoria Cross XM Pro is a pretty good mud option and ok, if a little entertaining at times elsewhere

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m expecting the cheap WTBs to be wire, not that worried tbh, they’re going on a Karate Monkey so it’s not like it’s lightweight anyway.

sp
    Free Member

Anybody know of any deals on a pair of Challenge Grifos

fontmoss
    Free Member

Think there are non folding grifos for about twenty or folding which never seem to be on offer (a good sign?) from places like zepnat. I’ve started using them but had 4 sunny, dry races so far so no idea how they’ll fare in the mud. Fango is challenge’s dedicated mud tyre

sp
    Free Member

Challenge is a new tyre brand for me but they sure do sound like the mutz nutz, will keep a look out for them at a price thats right 😯

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Got the ten pound WTBs from Chain Reaction. They’re folding!

boxelder

Crosswolf come up narrow and aren’t great in mud.
    Cinder cross aren’t bad in all but sticky mud – what I’ll be using for 3pks CX tomorrow.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

A quick shot of those folding £10.99 CRC Cross Wolfs

Absolute bargain.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=88240

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i just bought some racing ralphs from rosebike for £16.35 each, folders as well! 😀

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Me again. Just had the Cross Wolves out for a sticky claggy ride in the southern Chilterns and they did just fine. In fact, they did better than any MTB mud tyre I’ve had out there. Cut through, dug in, and kept rolling. Didn’t pick up any clag either

I don’t have a benchmark against other CX tyres, because these are the first I’ve used, but I’ll be riding them a lot this winter based on today’s performance.

m0rk
    Free Member

I look forward to trying out my WTB’s vs worn out Conti’s I’ve been running this weekend.

I was worried they might be a bit soft, and wear would be high – then I remembered they’re only a tenner….

wwaswas

those wtb’s look like they’d be a bit rumbly on tarmac?

I’ve got the Vittorias JoB mentioned – they seem to be fairly good all rounders but a bit slippy on bare chalk (but what isn’t).

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Dunno, haven’t really noticed them rumbling but they’re very obviously slower than my 23c road tyres. Certainly an offroad tyre first and foremost.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sort of OT but – 700C Clincher Cyclocross Mud Tyres???’ is closed to new replies.