Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Sort of accidentally on purpose bought a fatbike… now for the 29er questions
  • gaidong
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rose Tusker (link) on its way to me. Saw one at a show last year, liked it, and I kept drifting back to the website for a perv every few weeks. I thought they had run out of the raw aluminium ones when suddenly I saw limited availability and, before I knew it, it was ordered.

Anyway, that’s beside the by. What I’m interested in is getting a second set of 29er wheels as I hear that’s a thing with fat bikes (my first obviously). The Tusker has a 170mm rear and 150mm with the rigid fork (same as a Bluto, which I might get later). I see on Chain Reaction’s custom wheel maker (link) I can order a Fatsno laced to a Hope Enduro 29er rim. Is it as simple as this or am I missing something obvious? Does a 29er wheel with a 170 or 150 axle feel ‘normal’? Do any of you have a Tusker and have done a 29er wheelset, if so, what’s it like? Many thanks, Gaidong.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes it would work. But why? Why not just ride it with big wheels?

fin25
    Free Member

It’s all about bb height. Fatbikes generally have a pretty high bb for snow clearance and to allow for the squishy tyres. 29er wheels won’t deform the same way that fat tyres will, so you might feel a bit “on” the bike rather than “in” it in 29er mode. No reason why it won’t work though.
    Besides, the way he whole boost thing is going, you’ll be ahead of the game a bit with fat hubs on a 29er. 8)

gaidong
    Free Member

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’ll certainly be using the 26×4 wheelset for a specific work use (sand) and maybe a bit of fun in winter but I don’t currently have a hardtail and wondered if I could double up on the same frame. Just struggling to imagine how 29″ wheel with such wide axle would behave, would I have chainline problems, something else I haven’t thought of.

gaidong
    Free Member

Thanks Fin25. From the Rose website Tusker’s BB drop is -50 mm and crankset height (as they call it) is 320mm. I recently spotted a Boost Plus bike (new Pivot?) so this’d make me Plus Plus or Plus²? 😀

scotroutes

Chainline is dictated by hub and cranks. Fitting a narrower rim/tyre won’t affect it.

I’d wait until you’ve ridden it “fat” for quite a while before bothering about 29er wheelsets. You may find you are happy with 4″ tyres.

And just to confuse things, you could also try 27.5x 3″…..

gaidong
    Free Member

Cheers Scotroutes. I couldn’t think of a problem with chainline but, then again, I don’t fancy ordering hundreds of pounds worth of wheels that are useless for re-sale too! I am really looking forward to the fatness too; could make our winter Alpine holidays more interesting as I’m not that fussed by skiing any more.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I can’t help you with your question …..but I’ve got a Rose Tusker…..and you’ll be well happy riding it as it comes.
    My only gripe ….is the ergon saddle…..it ain’t comfy

ratherbeintobago

Twentynineinches did this a while ago, if that helps.

gaidong
    Free Member

Many thanks Ratherbeintobago. I’ve found a few reports but none as comprehensive looking as that – am sat down with a cup of tea now to read in detail.

Cheekyget, I have ISM saddles on all my bikes to I expect the Ergon will be murder for me! I’ve just put summer tyres on my trail bike so, given it’s pouring with rain, maybe I’ll be on the fatties before I know it!

Cheers all,
    Gaidong

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Scotroutes +1

Fatbkes make great trail bikes, just stick a few more psi in the tyres where you dont need the float, about 12 works really well.

NormalMan

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Scotroutes +1
    Fatbkes make great trail bikes, just stick a few more psi in the tyres where you dont need the float, about 12 works really well

+2
    Although 8psi is enough for me.

gaidong
    Free Member

Sounds like I need a digital manometre now…

Daffy

My 29er wheels with 2.4 tyres still have a larger diameter than my 26″ fat bike wheels with 4″ tyres…just saying, it should work, but may not.

gaidong
    Free Member

I’ll measure it all up once I get the Tusker in. If I do it (and several seem to suggest it’s not worth it) it’d be for summer only, so presumably (ha ha) a bit less muddy. What’s the minimum clearance you’re supposed to leave, 5-6 mm?

justridemtb
    Free Member

I had an on-one fatty with a 29er wheelies. It was w terrible ride, was not right. Stick to the fat wheels.

burko73

I accidentally bought a fatty second hand when watching wales vs England in the six nations. I was so depressed I got on eBay to cheer myself up and bought a lovely fatty with carbon forks.

I have hardly ridden any of my othe r bikes since. It’s great. Don’t worry about thinner wheels, you prob won’t worry about it once you’ve got a mile in to your first ride….

gaidong
    Free Member

Hmmm, just got the following email from Rose, “thank you very much for your order. We are very sorry, but this bike is not available. This is sold out unfortunately and so we have cancelled this order. Feel free to ask more.
    Sorry for this bad news.”

So, back to the drawing board…

Either a Tusker 2016 or I’m quite liking the look of the Cube Nutrail. Anyone tried one of these? They all come with Blutos so it means I’d be spending way more up front than I had planned. Main difference I can see from the Tusker is 197mm hub spacing (versus 177mm) and it comes with 4.4″ rather than 4″ tyres. Oh, and the frame looks* a bit lighter.

*meaning the tubes seem thinner, they could be solid metal for all I know.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your cancelled order, i very nearly bought a raw Tusker myself last year when the exchange rate meant they were under £1000. They just look gash in the normal painted version don’t they. One word of warning, I test rode a Tusker and my big muscular (fat) calves struck the seat stays which bulge quite wide on the frame. Worth considering if you have Hoy’esque legs.

I don’t have experience of the Cube you mention but I’d recommend you stick with the plan and go full fat – it’s the most fun I’ve had cycling for donkeys years.
    I reckon you should stretch the budget for a Dude.

takisawa2

Compatibility with 29+ would be a key feature for me.
    You know it will fit std 29 if 29+ will fit, & for many it’s about as fat as they need.
    Raw you say…needs a pic.

gaidong
    Free Member

this is the one that wasn’t to be 🙁

gaidong
    Free Member

and this is the only one available now (with Rose)

gaidong
    Free Member

I really don’t fancy a Dude actually. I’m not keen on carbon at the best of times and this fattie is mainly for overseas sandy use, and those baggage handlers…

gaidong
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just been to see the Tusker and the Nutrail in person but could only test-ride the former (not my size and just around the carpark). I must say, aesthetically the Nutrail is far more appealing. The Tusker is massively built and a bit tractor-looking up close. I also fell off and cut my shin – because Euro-brakes…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What about an On-One?

I’ve a Fatty and just bought a trail frame. Bluto’s and hydros fro the same price as some that come with rigid forks and cable brakes.

gaidong
    Free Member

Just confirmed an order on this:

Alltricks are doing it for €1800 (euros), which is 15% off RRP. Love me raw bikes me :D. Spec is all fine apart from the brakes (Shimano BR-M506) but I’m sure they’ll still manage to stop me.

GrinnyMcGrinFace

gaidong
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon. I did look at the Fatty Trail but (for purely non-scientific reasons) I like my tubes straight and din’t fancy the blue version as grey is out of stock. Cheers.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Sort of accidentally on purpose bought a fatbike… now for the 29er questions’ is closed to new replies.