• This topic has 28 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sorry..putting music on a Samsung phone.
  • zippykona

Imagine I’ve just bought the Foals cd, I’ve put it on my mac book. It’s there under downloads as an mp3. I then drag it to Kies and transfer music to my phone.
    The music is then listed on my phone as is the cover art work.
    Press play and it says these files aren’t supported. I could see why it wouldn’t play when I transferred the music from iTunes. But straight from my computer?
    I can’t believe that lad on the telly who drops his phone in the sink can’t listen to the Foals cd .
    It’s national help a numpty day.
    Ignore all that it’s now bloody working!
    Some of the itunes ones still don’t work though.
    While I’m at it how would I transfer photos from one micro sd card to another?

gonzy
    Free Member

what phone is it?

bails

Are you sure it’s an mp3, not a daft apple format that doesn’t work with anything else?

zippykona

Sorry .See ninja edit above.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve found the stock android player to be a bit fussy with locally stored mp3s. They really want you to use online music. There’s hundreds of other music players our there though. Folder Music Player is my favourite for playing stuff in folders.

DezB
    Free Member

Hold your phone in the air and put your head in the sink. Nobody is going to read your whole post, so best drown yourself now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spotify

Cougar

I’ve found the stock android player to be a bit fussy with locally stored mp3s. They really want you to use online music. There’s hundreds of other music players our there though.

PowerAmp.

You’re welcome.

Drag & drop. The phone should present as external storage.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Try the AIMP app. This is assuming no daft file format from apple.

stumpy01

zippykona – Member

Presumably you have a micro SD card USB adaptor?

Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/391484660300?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9050381&poi=&campaignid=620800750&device=c&adgroupid=27378723426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-181480812786&adtype=pla&crdt=0

If so, I would plug into your computer & drag it all into a folder on the desktop called something like MicroSD transfer.

Then swap the micro SD card for the new one & drag it onto that.

Obviously, if you have two of those adaptors, you can just drag straight from one to the other if you have them both plugged in at the same time.

prawny

Poweramp is ace, never had an issue playing stuff with that.

I never used kies when I had a samsung phone (and now that I have a samsung tablet) just drag and drop in windows explorer.

Kies is just a shoot itunes, which is just a shoot windows explorer.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve always simply dragged and dropped, not needed to use any other software. Maybe I’m missing something but it works.

zippykona

Looked at poweramp and aimp. It says they want 6gb of space. Is this really true?

Cougar

Sounds highly unlikely. Mb perhaps.

stumpy01

Play Store reckons 5.98Mb for Power amp trial looking on my phone. You sure you haven’t got mega and giga mixed up?

Then there’s the unlock for the full paid version, which is about 50kb…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What Nobeerinthefridge said.

Except, you know, Qobuz not Spottyface…

ploeb
    Free Member

Download Google Play app for your mac, it will automatically upload everything from iTunes into the cloud, then you can play it from Play music app on phone, laptop etc etc.

CountZero

Are you sure it’s an mp3, not a daft apple format that doesn’t work with anything else?

Do you mean AAC, which is what Apple call MP4, the widely supported codec that’s the higher quality version of MP3 used for video soundtracks?
    Or do you mean Lossless, which is an open-source codec.
    Either way, Android should play AAC, the only players that wouldn’t were Windows Mobile ones, for what should be fairly obvious reasons.
    Sony and Nokia phones would happily play AAC, if a Samsung phone won’t it’s because Samsung’s version of Android has been tinkered with, causing some translation issue.
    Read this, it should lay to rest the hoary old myth that AAC is some sort of proprietary Apple format, when in fact it’s a proprietary format that Apple has to licence from the MP3 Foundation:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding
    Then bitch to Samsung for not doing their job properly

zippykona

Yeah my mistake 6mb not 6gb . I know I’ve got over 1gb left on my internal storage but it said there want room to install power amp.
    Now installed and it played one of the songs I’d bought off itunes and which the music player on my phone couldn’t play. That’s good news.

Cougar

it should lay to rest the hoary old myth that AAC is some sort of proprietary Apple format

AAC aside, I thought music embedded in iTunes libraries was exactly that, some proprietary Apple database format? Is that not the case and you can D&D from any iTunes source?

Cougar

the music player on my phone couldn’t play

Point of note, the “music player on your phone” is an app like any other. The fact it came bundled is irrelevant, it’s not special in some way any more than when you buy a laptop that comes with a free trial of Norton / McAfee.

zippykona

I’ve got Kies on my Mac and all my tunes from iTunes show up on it.
    There’s 75 gb off music on there. It all fits on my 64 gb iPhone as I can turn the music down to 256 thingies. Is it possible to do that on Kies so it fits my 64 gb card ? Clicking which songs I want will take all day so I’d rather download the lot if I can.

zippykona

Kies has had a hissy fit and now I keep getting ‘FILE TRANSFER HAS BEEN INTERRUPTED’.This is a common problem with no answer that I can find.
    Have removed and put Kies back on ,now taken it back off. Do I need to load some sort of gubbins for Poweramp on my mac?
    When I connect my galaxy s4 to my mac ,where should it show up?
    Have downloaded google play but that can’t play all my songs from iTunes.
    This is doing my head in!

zippykona

Desperate bump.

retro83
    Free Member

Sorry, no idea on Kies. It’s an annoying piece of software and has been going back at least 5 years.

As a workaround, you could try installing this on your mac
    https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

It’s the official android transfer util.

zippykona

I’ve tried that and it says connect a device even when my phone is connected to the mac and charging from it.

retro83
    Free Member

The phone needs to be in MTP mode, but I don’t know how to change that on that specific phone. Usually it’s a thing that comes up on the notification bar when you plug the USB cable in. Somehthing like ‘USB mode’ and you change it to MTP/”Sharing Photos and Files”. Then unplug & replug the cable and run the android transfer thingy.

Samsung may have dicked around with all that though.

Edit: phone has to be unlocked before plugging in as well

Cougar

Yeah. My HTC will default to “charge only” mode when you connect it to a PC. You’ve then to manually unlock it to change that.

Sorry, no idea on Kies. It’s an annoying piece of software and has been going back at least 5 years.

It goes back a lot longer than that. It’s a hateful piece of software that makes iTunes for Windows look like programming excellence. The sheer genius of Kies meant the phone it came with wasn’t even supported.

gonzy
    Free Member

i never bothered using samsung kies on my old S4
    connect the phone to the pc and allow the MTP connection
    then its a case of drag and drop into the music folder
    your other option is to take the SD card out and plug that straight into your pc and transfer your music to it

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sorry..putting music on a Samsung phone.’ is closed to new replies.