Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sorry…how much is it worth help!
  • hooja
    Free Member

Always annoying threads im sure but I really do not have a clue.
    I have been looking for a drop bar mtb/cx bikepacking bike and cant seem to find the right one used, so have come to the conclusion that I should probably build one, for that I need to free up some cash.

I have just built a bike I have been wanting for years and unfortunately it will have to go to fund this. I have no idea what it would be worth now as its a 26″ and Im a bit out of the loop on what the current fads are
    Spec:
    All more or less new!
    The last of the Cotic simple 26″ frame (with cable routing for hub gear)
    CK headset
    Hope BB
    Alfine 11, built onto new Hope enduro rim and paired with a brand new front hope 4 hub on enduro rim (running tubeless)
    Thompson post
    Nearly new middleburn Rs8 cranks

It is mint and looks like a brand new bike, so… How much should I be selling it for? whats the current market for such a bike?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Check ebay for what they are selling for, something like your’s may be better split into parts.

hooja
    Free Member

That’s the problem, it took me 18 months to find the frame, there are never any on ebay anymore to gauge value

johnners
    Free Member

It’s a very specific build and it took you 18 months to find the frame. Given the “wanting for years” thing and that you’ve only just built it how sure are you that you really want to ditch it so soon? I know “a drop bar mtb/cx bikepacking bike” is the current fad but why not just sit this one out and enjoy your Simple for a while?

If you’re dead set on a new project I reckon you’ll take less of a hit by breaking the one “you’ve been wanting for years” for parts and at least using the hubs, headset, BB and drivetrain in the new build, maybe the seatpost too if you’re lucky.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stick it up on here for a price you think is reasonable (I have no idea), and if it doesn’t go then split and sell as parts?

Might as well try PB classifieds as well, but that build has got STW written all over it.

😉

hooja
    Free Member

Johnners, Im a serial bike builder, that’s the problem. I have been wanting to build up a simple for years and glad I have, its an amazing bike, however a few options for trips coming up means that I need a more touring orientated bike and if I sell the simple I can justify titanium frame 😀

I like the thought of using a lot of the lovely components off it on the new build, it’ll just break my heart to strip it down, its so bloody nice!

v666ern
    Free Member

starter for 10…

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2047246/

frame only £300 firm?

TiRed

Put some drop bar TRP Hylex hydraulics and a JTEK Alfine 11 speed bar end shifter, add some Continental CX Pro 26″ tyres and go bikepacking.

It really won’t be worth selling it. And 26″ wheels are fine. People seriously overthink this stuff!

Mine… Without Alfine, raced a few cross races fine. It now sports a Hylex carbon fork. You’ll need a longer stem.

v666ern
    Free Member

+1 Keep it – If you got £500 for it is it worth selling?

hooja
    Free Member

I agree, if £500 is all I could get then I might keep it, as its a worth more than that as piece of kit, even if the market dictates that its not!
    I just wasn’t sure if quality still sold even if its not the current fad. If I could get £800 id be tempted to sell it to buy a frame though

V666ern, that’s the 29″ version, bit more current, so Im guessing its more desirable?

johnners
    Free Member

Johnners, Im a serial bike builder, that’s the problem

Totally understand, it’s all about the project until it’s done then on to the next one. You’ll inevitably take hit after hit to your wallet doing that though, re-using the good kit you’ve gathered on the last one at least takes some of the sting out.

Also, surely TiRed’s idea is worth a try? Even if you don’t like the result the bars, hydraulics and shifter can be carried forward to a new frame if you end up going that way in the end. Then you’ve just got the 650/700 rims, spokes and tyres to buy!

v666ern
    Free Member

ah sorry to be negative – why dont you put it up on the bay with a reserve?

Sent my 26″ ti hardtail to a friend rather than sell it 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sorry…how much is it worth help!’ is closed to new replies.