Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • (Sorry) which road commuting tyres – for fire tracks?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am soon going to start doing a 18 mile each way commute on my road bike. Mainly on road, but with a 1.5 mile stretch off road on good quality fire road track, and about 3 miles of narrow country lane that resembles more of an off road track.

The current tyres are such 20mm slick things, which are lethal in the wet, but I also think they would get cut to pieces.

What tyres would you recommend that I guess are reasonably robust?

Ta

MrBlond
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve ridden fire roads on normal 28mm touring tyres and not had many issues. Then again I once rode my race bike down Hagg Farm and up the beast!

simondbarnes

I do a few miles down the trans pennine trail on my commute sometimes. Fine on the Vredestein 23mm Freccia Tricomps I currently have on my Sabbath, even though it’s quite wet & muddy at the moment.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

schwalbe land cruisers. I use them on my cx bike on the commute and do about 5 miles of fireroad and they are ok on the road either side.

kcr
    Free Member

28mm Schwalbe Marathons (various flavours available, get the toughest ones). Man enough for riding stony rubble, so no problems with fire road.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

25mm Conti 4 Seasons GPX on gravel strewn dirt on a Fixed Pompino no problems at all. Very good protection in them,

stumpy01

City Jets. I’ve even used them at Thetford & Rutland Water without any problems.

Or something like Spesh Hemisphere, but I reckon they would be noticeably slower on road.

The City Jet come in 1.9 if you want a bit more security, but I use 1.5s at 80psi and they’re fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘(Sorry) which road commuting tyres – for fire tracks?’ is closed to new replies.