Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sorry!! What 650b tyre…..
  • crispo
    Free Member

I know everyone hates these threads…..but have just got back from a ride and suffered my 4th snake bite in 3 rides! It’s doing my head in so want a stronger tyre.

Currently got OEM Nobby Nics on my five but looking for something stronger and grippy-er. Have had Spesh Purgatorys before and I know I can get them in 650b.

What would people recommend then? Planning a big solo ride this weekend so want something I can rely on!

coogan
    Free Member

Nobby Nics are garbage. High Rollers II are ace. There you go, problem solved.

kristoff
    Free Member

I’ve been running a high roller 2 front and ardent rear since December with no issues.

Although on a couple of occasions I had wished for high roller on both ends in rear slop. Ace in the current climate though! 🙂

kimbers

Schwalbes ‘performance’ line OEM tyres are garbage

Until the 650b mink y/smorgs surface I’ve got Hans dampf front and ardent rear

HR2s for gnarly muddy stuff

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks for the initial thoughts. Ride quite a bit of Rocky Lakes/North West stuff. Are HR2s the choice for that too?

AlexSimon

Ardent/HRii (in EXO flavour) works for me in the peaks.
    I know that some of my groups have found it difficult to source 650b tyres. One of them ended up with the new Mavics after having HRIIs and is very happy. Another ended up with Hans Dampfs and is again very happy.

Nobby nics haven’t got the best reputation for strength or puncture resistance.

br
    Free Member

or just go tubeless, that’ll stop the snake-bite punctures straight away

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’m running Conti Trail Kings front and back and so far have been pretty good. Not as draggy as my HR2s were when I used to run them on my 26er. Also run them 25-30psi with tubes and have been fine for the 3 months I’ve run them and that’s been on mixed terrain from wet sloppy stuff to slatey loose stuff

Stranga
    Free Member

WTB Vigalante

GolfChick
    Free Member

IMO if it’s snake bites you want to avoid that your experiencing rather than any other issues you should be looking at tyres that have specific side wall protection. All very well getting a standard hans dampf etc but you should get the snakeskin etc sidewall. For example our magic Mary’s are supergravity trail star and we can run them as low as 25 psi and they still feel rockhard.

crispo
    Free Member

So something like Trail King Protections or Ardents or High Rollers in EXO?

Which of them three would people rate, guessing the high rollers? What do they come up like size wise? I’m riding an Orange Five.

AlexSimon

HR 2.3 is a nice size.
    Ardent 2.4 would make a good front.
    Ardent 2.25 is good on the back.

Don’t know about the trail kings (is that the new name for Rubber Queens?)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sorry!! What 650b tyre…..’ is closed to new replies.