Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Sorry Tyres again – pls recommend me a grippier front tyre
  • jl.
    Free Member

Tyres really are such a personal thing. A few of my mates love the Verts but I absolutely hate them. Not enough rear traction on technical climbs and and would let go suddenly at the front when leant over.

The 2 things I want most in tyres are that the front is predictable when it starts to go and that the back climbs well on the slow technical stuff. I love the Minions because they’re great for that. I use the 60a single ply as a trail tyre on the front as it does all I want. 42a is stickier and really inspires confidence but feels like I’m riding in honey. Worth a try.

Shepdon
    Free Member

Me and the old man both bought bontrager Mud X done one lap of Cwmcarn and took them off they were absolute sh1t around there but then again it is quite rocky, would imagine they are ok for light xc use in muddy conditions. Our choice of front tyre at the moment is the DH specific 60a Max Pro Maxxis Ardent non folding 2.4, we find the extra volume gives a really plush ride and the tread although the same pattern as the folding Ardent is alot more aggressive and the grip and feed back is amazing. We live 3 miles from Cwmcarn so ride ther often along with the surronding mountains, hope this helps.

Kevevs
    Free Member

High roller super tacky 2.35 42a. It doesn’t roll that fast, but it gives you loads of confidence, which is what you need if you are anything like me!

RockyRobin
    Free Member

High Rollers- good fun on the downs and corner well.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If I were in the OP’s shoes, given where they live, I’d be putting a 2.35 SP 60a Swamp Thing on the front, especially moving into the schlocky season.

Better grip than a Bonty MudX, since its both wider and the knobs are taller. I like the MudX’s but, in the sticky chalk/clay, sometimes they’re not quite enough.

Swampthing front and MudX rear for me. I’ve been quite impressed with the 2.2 MK I’ve got on the rear at the moment, but when it turns proper sticky I think it’ll get overwhelmed.

JohnnyPanic

I ruddy well hate Conti Verts.
    Just needed to say that.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Verts are great! They are 10 quid too which makes them even greater, a bona fide classic.

JohnnyPanic

Squirelly pinch flat fest machines ! 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Sorry Tyres again – pls recommend me a grippier front tyre’ is closed to new replies.