Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sorry; tyres!!!
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

Sorry all i know this comes up a lot, i have tried useing the search thing, and came up with nothing.

I am looking to change my tyres and not to sure what to go for.

I curently use racing ralfs on my best bike(the full sus one that i tend to use for racing) and Cinders on my every day bike(Hard tail) and some other ones on my SS.

I am not happy with the racing ralfs, the dont seem very grippy and don't give me any confidence on conering also the side walls are made from cheese slices or something like that.

I think the cinders are OK, but the roling resistance is a bit high. have quite like Fire XC pro's i have had these before the cinders.

so here is my question; what are the best tyres for allround conditions, i.e. rocks, slippy route, mud, and fire roads, and also are light like the racing ralphs, but have strong side walls etc…

????

easygirl

maxxis high rollers 60a rear and 42 on front

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

why not just go back to fire xc's?

i would say nobby nics (get snakesin) or rocket rons are awesome (as long as you get a snakeskin type one. the normals are even thinner than standard racing ralphs, i've got tubeless ones so its all good)

i find the ron's as grippy as nics/ slightly lower profile for faster rolling

Mof
    Free Member

s mentioned on another thread… Maxxis Aspen 2.25. Very fast rolling and suprisingly grippy.

JxL
    Free Member

Wouldn't recommend Maxxis Advantage for anywhere that has any mud. Clog up really quick and lose grip straight away. I think my old mountain king was much better.

jeb

Go for fat albert evo foldable on the front, can be ridden very fast and with huge amount of stupidiness

for rear, michelin xcr mud, sounds lame, but it is the fastet, grippist acording to bike magazine tests, look for yourself at mtb.review, under the forum wheels and tires

here :

http://www.dk-content.de/bike/premium-pdf/tests/reifen_0705.pdf

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=419392

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Conti MK Protection fit the bill nicely. Grippy in most conditions, light, fast rolling, tough sidewalls, wear well.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Shows how much this is down to personal preference, as MK protections (2.4) were some of the sketchiest tyres ive tried in mixed conditions.

brooess
    Free Member

I'm finding 2.35 Panaracer Rampage to be lots of fun right now. You need wide enough rims tho

Nezbo
    Free Member

Cheers All.

jed some intresting stats on them links 🙂 now i am very confused?! 🙂

I dont really want to go for a big tyre, i think a 2.1ish is the size i need to go for…

So my list so far looks like this:

Fire XC Pro's
    Rocket Ron's
    Nobby Nic's
    maxxis high roller's
    Fat Albert's
    Michelin XCR Mud's

So i guess Fire XC, Rocket Ron, and Nobby Nic for all year round rideing.

And high roller, and Fat Albert for dry hard packed ground.

And Michelin XRC Mud for er.. muddy conditions.

so this leads me back to the Fire XP Pro's, how ever i have heard a lot about the High Rollers. I have fallen out with Schwalbe, so i am a bit reluctant to go for Fat Albert, Rocket Ron, or Nobby Nic's.

Has any one got any more suggestions?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Or Speccy Storm 2bliss. A royal PITA to get inflated tubeless (if you so wish) but great all conditions lightweight tyre.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Jeb

Excellent links – what a pity our own trail gurus don't get down to rolling resistance outputs rather than vague statements like 'seems to roll well' etc! Still I guess vague statements sell a greater range of tyres!

Teutonic efficiencey once again…….

tankslapper
    Free Member
    boxelder

Are your Cinders 2.2" or 1.95, cos the 1.95's are grippy, tough and pretty fast rolling – better than Fire XC's I reckon.

Nezbo
    Free Member

i think my cinders are 2.1's they are ok, but i just was thinking of something better…

Lots of test info there, now i am really unsure what tyre to get 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sorry; tyres!!!’ is closed to new replies.