• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dgb1.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • (Sorry) Tyre thread – what's good these days for general trail riding?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Sorry for a tyre thread, but it’s been two years since I’ve bought any new tyres (love a stockpile during a sale)

What’s a good tyre these days? General trail riding – smooth centres and not so smooth other bits. Not downhill, mind.

I’m feeling wider tyres too these days, certainly nothing XC here.

Cheers!

Clobber
    Free Member

Bomboloni

Drac

Fire XC Pro’s.

BillOddie

Minions

scotroutes

Conti Vert Pros

jakd95
    Free Member

On One Chunky Monkey 2.4 front/Smorgasbord 2.25 rear. Grippy, sticky and cheap as chips.

devash
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory front, Ground Control rear. If you want more grip on the front then swap the Purgatory for a Butcher Control.

funkrodent

Can of worms. I rate the Conti Trail Kings (Rubber Queens as were). Great all round tyre, loads of grip, roll well, perform on all surfaces (other than serious gloop). Not cheap but you pays for what you gets. Only downside is they’re quite weighty. Also like the Schwalbe Nobby Nics. Less grip but faster and lighter. Trailstar version on front with Pacestar on back is a good trail centre combo. The On-One Chunky Monkey is a good cheap option for a front. Essentially a Maxxis it can be had for £20 which is a steal. One of them with an On-One smorgasbord on the back (or an Ardent) would be a pretty good combo

plyphon
    Free Member

On One Chunky Monkey 2.4 front/Smorgasbord 2.25 rear. Grippy, sticky and cheap as chips.

Yeah i just saw that a minute ago, Chunky Monkey is £15! Basically free.

sideshow
    Free Member

Most of the above strike me as too slow and grippy for “trail riding, not downhill”

Next time I put tyres on for that it’ll be a conti x king black chili protection 2.25 (I think? that sort of width) on the front and specialized slaughter (the silly one with no grip) on the rear, because I happen to have them lying around. x king both ends would be fine though.

Nobby nics are nice but wear out far too fast. Maxxis probably have something good, i have no idea what, but not high roller or minions, excellent downhill tyres but way too draggy for general trail use.

billygoatgruff
    Free Member

2.25 Smart Sam are a great all round trail tire, £18 each

shermer75
    Free Member

2.4 Nobby Nics or Racing Ralphs, depending on the muddiness

shermer75
    Free Member

Someone should bring out a tyre called ‘apology accepted, this one’. It would fly off the shelves

sideshow
    Free Member

Racing ralph are lovely too but like the other Schwalbe stuff they lasted me all of about 10 rides. Conti speed king would be the (not quite as nice but harder wearing) equivalent I think.

jekkyl

yup tyres are generally good for general riding, round ones and usually black. Try halfords.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

yup tyres are generally good for general riding, round ones and usually black. Try halfords.

For best results apply one to either end of your bike

shermer75
    Free Member

For best results apply one to either end of your bike

I like the ones that go on the outside

dgb1
    Free Member

I agree with what funkrodent said above

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘(Sorry) Tyre thread – what's good these days for general trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.