Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sorry to do this but, An Injured Rider in need of support.
  • fbk
    Free Member

I guess quite a few people already know about this but, for those who don’t:

Jason Brennan, Veteran racer and one of the founding members of the RaveRacing race team, had a serious crash at the Midlands DH Champs last October. He suffered multiple injuries, the most significant of which was 2 broken vertebrae in his neck with a fragment getting pushed into and compressing his spinal cord. The Extreme medics, air ambulance, Shrewsbury, and Oswestry hospitals have all had an important role to play in patching him up but the healing process still has a long way to go.

4 months on, Jason’s still in Hospital. He’s making steady progress but currently has only limited movement in his legs and arms and has a long road ahead of him. The help and support from friends, family and the MTB community in general has been fantastic, all of which has made a huge difference.

With this in mind, I would just like to draw people’s attention to some current fund raising efforts going on.

Si Paton has donated a Sam Hill signed race jersy, currently on the Bay Linky

A Timed Practiced day with the Racers Guild guys at Cannock next weekend (19th Feb) including a raffle for some pretty amazing prizes

There’s also an auction planned at the first Gravity Enduro round at Innerleithen next month with some tastey sounding items.

The response so far has been truly heart warming and a fantastic example of the amazing people that make up this sport. Hopefully we can get Jason sorted with everything he and his family need for the fight ahead.

stumpy01

That sounds nasty…

I can’t make the Cannock event, but it sounds interesting.
    That link doesn’t make it entirely clear what it’s about – timed dh runs at Cannock? What sort of level are they aimed at?
    Might get some decent interest on hee with a bit more info.

Keep us up to date with any further events…

I_Ache
    Free Member

I might be able to do this how do I sign up and how much does it cost?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fbk
    Free Member

The Cannock day is one of the Racers Guild’s regular meets – very chilled, fun day of turning up, pushing up to the top of the DH tracks and riding down again with folk timing you.
    The riding itself may get a bit busy as we’re expecting quite a few but things kick off around 9:30-10.
    The raffle will be open to anyone and, if you’ve read the link, you’ll have seen there are some pretty amazing prizes up for grabs (including a £1000 LeisureLakes bike voucher) – worth turning up just to buy a ticket and show support I reckon 🙂 . Pop up to the Raveracing Easy-up on the day and someone should be able to sort you out

xiphon
    Free Member

It would be slightly ironic if they gave away a Leatt neck brace as a prize at the raffle…

I_Ache
    Free Member

How much is it?

flange
    Free Member

It would be slightly ironic if they gave away a Leatt neck brace as a prize at the raffle…

Yeah, nice one…..

I’ll be there, a worthy cause

fbk
    Free Member

Don’t quite get the point of your comment xiphon?

As for price, it’s normally a charity donation to the Racersguild. The majority of fund raising will most likely be via the raffle, especially given what’s on offer.

Flange – nice one, see you there.

alfabus
    Free Member

is this raising money for the guy to pay his bills, or raising money for the hospital, air ambulance, etc.?

ibnchris

Hi fbk, have sent you a mail the email address in your profile. I think I should be able to help out. Let me know if you don’t get my email

fbk
    Free Member

Alfabus – the plan at the mo is to help Jason directly. I think the hope is to get him sorted with a wheelchair that will give him as much autonomy as possible.

ibnchris – thanks a lot for the email. I’ll pass it on to the guys who are organising this if that’s ok?

alfabus
    Free Member

What is this team he is a member of? are they able to offer financial support, through sponsors etc? Did he not have insurance?

Not intending this to be a pop at the guy, just genuinely interested as to what sort of backup people who race DH get if they toast themselves – relying on charity from fellow riders can’t really be the only option, is it?

Dave

ibnchris

No worries fbk.

Alfabus, I’m afraid it’s rarely that simple. Even if the team are insured or able to support him they’re not likely to have the kind of funds necessary to help Jason out. Insurance pay outs and compensation claims can take forever. Up to seven years on occassion and it’s getting stuff sorted now that really matters. So fbk, you and your crew doing a top job. Nice one.

I work for a spinal injuries organisation and all too often see folk in this kind of situation. I’m sorry to say charity is often the only way people are able to get themselves sorted. It’s wrong, but that’s all part of Dave’s big society…

alfabus
    Free Member

sheeeeeeeeeeeet.

*checks insurance policy, *renews private healthcare, *buys neck brack

xiphon
    Free Member

Compensation claim? Seriously?

Who should compensate him?

alfabus
    Free Member

Not sure ibnchris is referring to this case when he’s talking about compensation – he was talking in general with spinal injuries (road traffic accidents, etc?)

Compensation for a DH racer would be stretching sympathy somewhat.

Dave

xiphon
    Free Member

Ah right, sounds more sensible.

flange
    Free Member

Jesus, there’s some idiots about

I’m assuming by compensation, the OP means that he’s got accident cover to compensate him whilst not able to work, or pay the bills. Do you have to be such a tool?

alfabus
    Free Member

Do you have to be such a tool?

saucer of milk, table 2.

scruff
    Free Member

Stumpy, IAche-
    Racers Guild timed practice is generally not advertised as its just a little local mess about. Its held every month at Stile Cop but this month is different due to all donations going to Jason, we’ll probably have folk with glowsticks and there will be the raffle. Unfortunately numbers are always limited due to parking, amount of equipment we have & we only run it for 3 hours otherwise its gets boring for the organisers / marshalls. Any age rider and any good condition bike is allowed but full face helmet & barplugs are mandatory, 10.30 sign in top of the hill, 12.00 start.

Parr
    Free Member

I’ll be there giving up some Dollar for Jase, took enough off him over the years he came to My races.
    As mentioned at top of post we will be holding an Auction straight after seeding on Saturday, at round 1 of the Fetish gravity Enduro at Innerleithen 24th 25th March, getting some great support from the bike industry and some really nice items, including a Bike holiday.
    See you all there on Sunday
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sorry to do this but, An Injured Rider in need of support.’ is closed to new replies.