Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Sorry singletrack
  • dragon
    Free Member

I do find it an odd business decision that rather than invest in your own successful website and forum, you whore yourself to Facebook and give up control.

Also the front page of the site would get more hits if it was better laid out and allowed everyone to comment.

Mark

Not a fan really are you dragon.

🙂

But at least you are here, eh?

Drac

At least he’s taking a break from slagging off the public sector.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dragon
    Free Member

Hey I said it was a successful site and forum but i just think with the right kind of investment and quality control it could be brilliant. I don’t see Facebook being something that will take you to the next level.

But it isn’t only STW getting negative feedback on moving more into Facebook others have seen similar. The UK isn’t the USA.

Cougar

Computer says no.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Some of my fb friends are surprised at how many mtb posts I “like” 🙂

Mark thanks for the update. 12 full time staff, excellent

EDIT:

Hey I said it was a successful site and forum but i just think with the right kind of investment and quality control it could be brilliant. I don’t see Facebook being something that will take you to the next level.

I think the numbers/data tell different story

Drac

I reckon Dragon has shares in Friends Reunited.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I do find it an odd business decision that rather than invest in your own successful website and forum, you whore yourself to Facebook and give up control.

Well, using Facebook costs less than redesigning a site but ultimately you have to go where the traffic is. The reality of most “news” websites is that little traffic comes to the homepage – it comes via a link from a google search or some kind of social media share.

If a user 5 subjects they’re interested in do they go to each homepage a few times a day to see if theres anything new or do they see what’s aggregated into their Facebook timeline and click on what appeals.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

All that from mark is very interesting, and confirms to me why I’ve never had facebook! I’m probably one of a rapidly diminishing few that haven’t ever looked at a facebook page!

There are two of us!

I get all my news from STW – wey, hey?!?

Thanks for the explanations Mark and the transparency. I admire the openness re the fact that any reader/forum member/FB person is a raw material that you – excuse the awful expression coming up – monetise. That should always be borne in mind when other issues re the STW experience are considered!!

Interesting thread. Thx

squirrelking
    Free Member

The reality is that Facebook itself is rapidly becoming the no.1 platform for most media publishers. It is where we reach the largest audience.

Sorry but that’s (almost) rubbish. I have numerous outlets “liked” and barely any ever make it onto my feed. Never mind a sizeable number of my actual friends who never get a look in.

It’s also a theory as to why many of us were taken by surprise at both the last general election and the referendum. Our timelines, which are an increasing source of all our daily updates on life only reflected our own preferences. All the stuff we don’t like, for example the opinions of others that differ from our own, tend to get muted and filtered out.

This however, is true. Scottish referendum was won months before by the fact that everyone anyone knew was voting Yes. Doesn’t help that so many people are quick to block anyone with differing points of view rather than trying to engage with them.

But yeah, Facebook is well past it’s best for me, too much crap, not enough from the people I want to know about and the rest seems to be moaning about something or other. [Rhymes with] Padlock works a treat on tidying the intrusive rubbish up though. Funny that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikey-simmo – Member
    I’ve removed you from Facebook. It appears that you’ve taken over with too many posts. Getting 4 per day is just annoying. Keep up the great magazine work, I just don’t need Facebook full of the next greatest thing.
    Thanks

A whole 4, how can you possibly cope with such a deluge of information…

footflaps

Seems like FB are taking over the (on-line) ad world…

Facebook almost tripled its profits in the third quarter of 2016 as the social media giant took an even larger slice of the online advertising market. The company reported a 59% year-over-year increase in advertising revenue on Wednesday. Net income for the three months ending 30 September rose to $2.38bn from $896m a year earlier.

The jump in profits and revenues comes as traditional publishers are hemorrhaging advertising dollars and announcing cutbacks. News groups including the Daily Mail, the Guardian, New York Times and Wall Street Journal have all announced layoffs in recent weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/02/facebook-profits-triple-online-advertising-publishing

Mark

Sorry but that’s (almost) rubbish. I have numerous outlets “liked” and barely any ever make it onto my feed. Never mind a sizeable number of my actual friends who never get a look in.

It’s absolutely true.
    You are confusing ‘likes’ with ‘reach’ they are very different things.
    Reach represents the timelines a post has actually appeared in. In september we reached 8 million timelines with our posts. We have 545,000 page likes.

You don;t have to like a page to have that pages posts appear in your timeline. Just because you like a page doesn’t mean all of it’s posts will appear in your timeline. The algorithm is far more sophisticated than that and what you see is based on what you are interested in.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I have numerous outlets “liked” and barely any ever make it onto my feed.

If you go to a liked Website on Facebook and click on the “Liked” dropdown box you can select to see it ‘first’ or default and also whether to get notifications. When you first like something you’ll see a some posts – if you don’t interact with them (ie like/share/comment) you’ll see fewer from that source. The same as your friends – you see much more stuff from people you interact with.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Sorry singletrack’ is closed to new replies.