Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • SORRY! Shoes question – Spesh BG
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’ve spent the evening pacing around the living room in a new pair of Sidi Dominators. I really wanted to like them because they look lovely but my feet just didn’t get on with them (heel lift despite being a wee bit too small and didn’t feel all that stable for walking in – which I tend to do a lot of…).

So I’m returning them and going back to Specialized which I get on well with. Currently got a pair of bog-standard BG Sports which are great apart from pish quality toe box, so my options are BG Pro or BG Expert.

Pro is cheaper but has a ratchet/buckle thing which might be a pain in the arse

Expert a bit pricier but seem simpler.

Anyone got either/both and care to comment or make a recommendation?

Cheers,
    SC

stuartie_c
    Free Member

EDIT – Comp not Pro…

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve got the ones with the ratchet thing, which are the best shoe I’ve ever worn, lasted 3 years of abuse before ratchett thing on died (hit a rock and snapped the red level thing – still use them, but only on the TT.

As replacements I went for boots with the velcro system, good but not as good as the rachett shoes, which I’ll be getting again.

NZCol

Have a couple of pairs of the Pro (had the top ones but gave them back as too stiff for me)
    Buckle has been no hassle other than in complete clag where the trick is to push it back in towards the shoe then shove the ratchety thing with your fingers. Never been stuck in them and never lost one. You can buy replacements as they are screwed in (from memory) great shoes, last ages.

Saccades
    Free Member

replacements?

Excellent – I’ll have a look.

corroded
    Free Member

Have had both and would recommend either. No problems with either so down to how much you want to spend.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d get the Comps, the carbon sole is nice, but I’d rather have the superior fit afforded by the ratchet closure. They are replaceable, there’s different ones according to model year, some of which are handed, but they’re all available for about £7

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve had some BG Sport shoes for a couple of years now and find them good for all dayers. Have just got a pair of BG Experts which are very similar (3 strap closure, but with CF sole). The Experts are quite a bit lighter and the rubber on the sole seems a bit more flexible than the Sport, which is a good thing as i always thought the tread on the Sports was a bit rigid.
    The Experts feel very comfy in the limited ride up and down the garden, but i did notice the reduction in weight. Hopefully riding in them in the next few days, but im not expecting any horror stories!

thefallguy
    Free Member

Got the BG Experts very comfy and enjoy the rigidity of carbon sole, 3 strap closure is a bit lighter than buckle if you’re that bothered.

Carbon sole on my first pair wore out in 14 months where xt pedal meets the cleat and then cracked which I put down to too much walking up steep bits in the lakes/peaks! So new pair sport some crank bros protector plates.

cp

the sidi’s are very stiff, so it’s not surprising you get heel lift when walking! You may get similar with the stiffer spesh shoes. have you thought about a more hike-a-bike oriented shoe?

for what it’s worth, I love my spesh shoes – can’t remember model (08) with two velcro straps and a ratchet. ratchet was a pain when new, but has now settled into being very useable!

njee20
    Free Member

My S-Works shoes are far far far stiffer than my SIDI Dragons were, but I get no heel lift whatsoever.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Sidis DOminators very stiff??

Not the pair I had. Got rid of them after 3 rides. Beautiful fit, dead comfy, but killed my feet from the hot spot – I might as well have been riding in flipflops.

I’m currently sat at my desk wearing BG experts. really comfy, properly stiff and all the BG bollocks seems to do what it says it should. I’ve seen a few people needing to be released from their comp and pro models when the ratchets have jammed though. My old man’s pair went on their 3rd outing.

lookoutkid
    Free Member

I’d recommend trying them on if you can – I’d worn a pair of Sports outs and decided I’d move up to the Comp with the ratchet, however I must have a high arch or something as could only get the ratchet to click up about 3 clicks, which didn’t feel very secure. Went up to the Velcro/Carbon ones and they’ve been great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used to love them, but I had to kill them.

The BG bit is indeed comfy, the ratchet is indeed good, and the fit is indeed very comfy, but…..

On the outside front of the toebox, there’s a split in the leather, with stitching between the two parts. That splits apart terribly. Not too impressed with that from a durability point of view.

njee20
    Free Member

You know you can get different BG insoles for different arch support? They’re £25 and you need to go to a BG fit centre, but it’s well worth it. Red for flat feet, blue for middle, green for high arches, they feel very odd, but definitely work.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Ratchets are around £6. I have had several replacements

I got them from one of the Specialized Concept stores.

I love the BG shoes as I have pretty wide feet. Sidi’s are way to narrow but look pimp :mrgreen:

Potter
    Free Member

I have a pair of the spesh comps and have no problems in over a year now,my only advice is to go 2 sizes up as the sizing is all over the place

cp

interesting comment on the sizing – i’m a 43 in pretty much everything, and the 43 spesh shoes are perfect!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I’m the same in Spesh shoes as everything else.

SIDI (certainly did) do half sizes in some models, which are the same length, but wider.

alexonabike

I have some 08 (i think) BG Comp’s that are one ride old that I need to get rid of – they are just a bit too big for me to be comfortable.

I think they are 43’s but maybe 42’s.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers guys – lots of good feedback.

I’m very keen on my BG Sports BUT for the crappy toebox. CFH’s comment gives me pause for thought but looking at the 09 Comps on Evans, they appear to have a moulded toepiece which looks to be a bit sturdier.

I’ll go for the Comps, I think – lightweight carbon soles might not stand up to Highland hike-a-bike sessions.

Thanks for offer alexonabike but I want the option of sending them back if the fit/size isn’t right.

SC

RealMan
    Free Member

Pros here (sorry). Carbon sole is great. Ratchet is great. To be honest, the ratchet can get a bit stiff when you get a load of dirt in there, but it still works, it just doesnt make quite a nice clicking sound. Ratchet is perfect for tighting up the shoes a smidge while riding.

And of course, so comfortable. Best shoe I’ve ever had.

They also come with toe studs, and I am ashamed to say I’ve done a fair bit of walking on them (those dam hills are impossible I tell ya..) and theyre still great, had no problems. Sure, they are no where near a hiking shoe, but its not an ice skate either. Just watch out for those hardwood shiny floors. Not much grip on those.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nope, same problem as far as I can see.

It’s the seam that’s just in front of the bit with the grey stripes. See where I mean?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Yeah, I see the seam. It seems* to me that it might split if there was too much pressure from the inside, eg if the shoe was a bit too small and the toes were bulging out a bit?

Sports seem to have the same seam and they’ve been fine for me.

*See what I did?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘SORRY! Shoes question – Spesh BG’ is closed to new replies.