Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Sorry! Roadbike dilemma! Ribble, Orbea or Planet X? Sorry!
  • fbk
    Free Member

Sorry! I know this has been covered lots before but I can't find much specific info on these bikes. I thought I'd got it down to a choice of 2:

Ribble sportive- bargain price, good looking but 5-6wk wait and poss questionable customer support

Orbea Onix Vuelta – lower spec but still good looking and Available fairly locally at epic bikes

Then Planet X throw a spanner in the works by offering their Carbon SL with full Ultegra for £999! I've never really been taken by the Carbon SL frame and I had read it was quite a harsh ride but some forums suggest otherwise.

I'm looking for something not too "head down Arse in the air" racey that would be comfortable enough to do the odd Sportive ride.

So, any experience of the above bikes would be appreciated. And I know you can't beat a demo ride but getting one is proving difficult.

Jimbo
    Free Member

No test ride? Then don't bother. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving one first, so why not a bike where position/size/fit is x1000000 more important?

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks for the helpful comment Jimbo.

As I stated in my OP, I know a demo ride is the best way to assess each bike. Unfortunately Ribble currently don't have any in stock and I'm not sure where it's possible to test a Planet X. I can hopefully sort a test ride on the Orbea but the shop in question use the terms "fitting" and "before you buy" which makes me a little apprehensive until I know exactly what I'm looking for.

All I'm looking for is a few comments from the STW population on how the bikes ride and whether they are the sort of bike I'm looking for.

Ta 🙂

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

well… my sportive is still great, you've seen the other comments on them on the other threads…
    That was two weeks ago – if you'd stopped dithering it'd nearly be with you by now! 😉

karnali
    Free Member

was a test in triathlon pus this month that had a ribble and the planet x carbon in both came out well, ot sure if it was the same model for th eribble of the top of my head may be worth a read though

oldgit
    Free Member

You should test, even if it's another bike with the same geometry at least that'll give you an idea of fit.
    Buy on paper and it can go horribly wrong, it did for me. Most manufacturers put me on a medium, but smalls with plenty of stem and post are a far better fit.
    I have a Planet X it's not at all harsh.
    I also don't see the point of specific 'sportive' geometry when you'll probably want to be going as quick as you can. I've done plenty of 70/100 mile rides on mine without any aches or pains. I've got two more organised 100's this month and one think I wont be thinking about is discomfort.

roach

My Planet X SL Carbon rides sweet, is really light and was fine for the 118 mile Dragon Ride sportive 8)

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

If your anywhere Leeds your welcome to have a look/short spin on my L sportive….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My Planet X SL Carbon has been great, and not a harsh ride at all

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Don't be bullied by any retailer into buying anything, "I can hopefully sort a test ride on the Orbea but the shop in question use the terms "fitting" and "before you buy".

You've got the folding, and they want it, which places you with the "upper hand".

If they want your money and make a sale, they need to earn it. Jimbos comments are along the right lines, imo.

Haven't Orbea just bought the assets of OneCarbon ?.

CC.

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments –

That was two weeks ago – if you'd stopped dithering it'd nearly be with you by now!

Good point well made – you may have gathered I have been known to be a little indecisive 🙂 . And thanks for the offer – unfortunately that would mean around a 300mile round trip…

oldgit & CC – I know you're right. I do feel a bit of a novice when it comes to road bikes which is a little disconcerting – I actually turned round before walking into a shop in Preston the other day (I was working up there, popped in to Ribble and thought I'd have a look at Paul Hewitt cycles – scary place!!!)

Cheers guys

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I saw the Planet x in the flesh so to speak and it was much nicer than any pics. The Ribble Sportive looks fantastic. I've got an Orbea Onix. The Ribble and Orbea are more sportif biased, the Planet x is said to be a more aggressive racing frame. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them.

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

Hi fbk. I ride a Planet X Carbon SL and being completely honest am extremely surprised at how comfortable it is. When I first bought it, I spec'd the bike over the phone following an in-depth conversation with the guys at Planet X.

They asked what style of riding I do, the typical terrain I ride, my weight, body measurements etc. On that basis they built the appropriate bike for me (frame size, crank lengths, stem lengths, number of front chainrings, etc). As a result the bike is perfectly fitted and rides beautifully. It's geometry is not at all aggresive which is what you requested, this give you a more comfortable ride without having to be to far over the front of the bike with your arse in the air.

I'm impressed and love it to bits. Without doubt one of the best bike buys I've ever made, and such value. If you're getting full Ultegra for 999 then it's a fantastic deal.

I can't however speak for the other two bikes from experience, but from what I've read about them I believe they are also very worthy.

It's a tough choice/decision, and yes, ideally you need to try them out for yourself…

Good luck.

fbk
    Free Member

Taylorplayer – interesting to hear from someone who's seen all 3. The Ribble is indeed a lovely looking bike, although I wasn't as blown away with it in the flesh as I thought I would be – shame Ribble didn't have one to test ride this week when I popped in.

I think the Planet X has to look better than the pics on their website 🙂

I'm guessing you're happy with your Onix? 🙂 I'm also pretty certain I'd be happy with any of them. I'm just tempted by the evils of vanity and bargains!

snaps
    Free Member

Don't post roadbike threads on an MTB forum

fbk
    Free Member

Don't post roadbike threads on an MTB forum

Why not? Having received and given plenty of advice on MTBs on here through the years I wanted the thoughts of other MTBers, many of whom would have been in a similar situation, returning to the road after an absence of nearly 20 years.
    Just another way of enjoying 2 wheels.

On second thoughts, you're absolutely right. How could I?

😈

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I haven't actually seen the Ribble, but some close up picks that look good (bloody good !).

An lbs had both the Orbea (Onix 08 model) and the Planet X in stock. I loved the look of the Orbea, but the Ultegra SL Orbea was a fair bit more than the Planet x. I actually ordered a Planet X, then realised a small only takes one water bottle (med with an 80mm stem looks stupid on a road bike !), so changed to the Orbea.

Value for money I reckon the Planet X wins (which was why I ordered one), but think the Orbea looks nicer (don't have a lab to compare analyticaly !).

BUT….. If I was a bit taller and fitted the med Planet X, I'd have bought that.

Bet that doesn't help at all – you're welcome to try the Orbea if you're up my way (Perthshire).

a Ribble sportive

mudshark
    Free Member

snaps has been wittering on about that in his lonely way for as long as I can remember!

e.g.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/roadie-drivetrain-help

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

I think the Planet X has to look better than the pics on their website

fbk, tomorrow at some point I'll take a load of decent pictures of my Planet X and post a mini review on my blog. Will post the full link here. Hopefully that should help you in your decision.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I saw the Planet x in the flesh so to speak and it was much nicer than any pics.

I'm sorry, do you need you'r eyes testing, that bike is so fugly I actualy felt I should look the other way when I overtook one (being ridden by a not so sl rider)!

I went to Reading festval the other week, there were more astheticly pleasing s***s in the toilets than those frames!

oldgit
    Free Member

Funny you should say that, during a recent training trip to France my Planet X was drawing more attention than all the exotica around it.
    IMO it looks nice with matching carbon bars/stem/post/chainset.

fbk
    Free Member

Cheers guys

TaylorPlayer interesting point – I'd be looking at a large frame so not a problem but the Planet x is looking unlikely now- see below

mudshark – I see what you mean!

This is not a spoon – nice imagery mate 😉

biker4riding – that'd be great, although the price on the website has gone back to £1299 for the ultegra. I guess that's done me a favour – back to 2 then… Must make decision!

oldgit
    Free Member

fbk
    Just been looking at the Ribble and Orbea and they both seem superbe bikes on paper. The ribble is blindingly light (sub 1000 for the frame)
    I did look at the Onix myself but I'm sure the frame was a biffer a few years back, but that now seems sorted (unless they've mixed it up with the Orcas weight?)
    So with identical kit it's a hard choice.
    I'd still go Planet X, followed by the Orbea then Ribble.
    TBH the only reason I'm ashamed to say the Ribbles last is it's looks, or rather it's 'try to hard' paintwork. Well if Dave LLoyd can say that he can't even look at a bike with a rising stem, then I can say that!

Twenty yeras off. It was all easier when you just had a choice of Reynolds or Columbus, one type of geometry in your size, and you just slapped Campag on it.

Vortexracing

I'm just in a similar dilemma to yourself. I have been waiting for the C2W scheme to come in to BAESystems up at Warton near Preston. The buggers have gone to Halfords for the scheme, who to be honest appear to be rather unhelpful when asking about the boardman carbon. ie non in stock 6-8 weeks waiting list and no ability to even throw a leg over one to try.

I originaly had a shortlist of the Ribble,the Planet X and the Jamis Xenith Comp from buy a bike in Charnock Richard.

After commuting to work on my Ribble winter frame and it not fitting quite right, I am a firm believer in 'try before you buy'. especially when we are talking a lot of dosh.

What i'm saying is if you are up and around Preston pop into Buy a bike and try one of there Jamis Xenith carbon bikes, similar spec and price (£999 for 2008 or 899 for the 2007 model) as both the Ribble and the Planet X.

At least you will get to try and ride one (even if it is around the car park only) before you commit.

The ability to see if it fits is worth a little extra dosh or travelling in IMO.

fbk
    Free Member

Oldgit – I can't find a huge amount of info on the orbea – it's the onix vuelta I've been looking at which seems to be the old (2008, pre frame redesign) onix tdf frame. Only a few places sell it and there's not much info around on weights etc for this year.
    I aggree about the ribble-it's almost like it's trying too hard to look good and the paint finish isn't in the same leaque as the orbea. Still a nice looking bike though 🙂

vortexracing- cheers for that. BtW scheme here too 🙂 . I was hoping to have a ride on the ribble but, just like the boardman, nothing in stock at the mo. I'll have a look at the Jamis when I get chance.

oldgit
    Free Member

Orbeas are great, they're the Alfa Romeo of the bike world. Just a shame there's no real UK support for them.
    The Jamis is an odd choice, be carefull not to go the carbon at any cost route. At least the Ribble and Planet X have had good reviews, and Orbea filter down tour winning technology like Trek and Giant.
    I've ridden Orbeas and a fantastic Orbea prototype, but never actually found a shop with one in.

Vortexracing

olgit, why is the Jamis an odd choice?

oldgit
    Free Member

Only because if you were going to throw in another brand for the OP to ponder over the Jamis seems an odd choice compared the the big brand options like Specialized, Trek and Giant, that is all.

fbk
    Free Member

they're the Alfa Romeo of the bike world

ooh eck. You mean they look gorgeous, drive fast but are horrendously unreliable 😉

Vortexracing

I only mentioned it because it's close the the OP spec and bike. PLUS he can try one out as it's very close to Preston

oldgit
    Free Member

On a slight aside, I wish bike shops would let you move the levers about on test bikes becuase that makes a big difference if you ride on them. They told me they'd move the bars so the levers were where I wanted them, but that throws the bar position out.

fbk
    Free Member

What amazes me is the variation of shop willingness to let you try bikes. I've recently been in a large LBS to check out a bike they had in stock- once they'd actually found it in the stock room it was handed to me with no pedals and no adjustments. They clearly didn't want me to ride it and when I asked about sizing, they just said "yeah, you're not too stretched out, that's about right"!
    I'm always keen to support local shops but surely in these days of Internet competition it should all about adding perceived value to your products. Otherwise what's the point-if you can't try the thing for size you might as well just go with pot luck and the cheapest.

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

fbk, here's that link I promised containing a load of more detailed pictures and a mini review of the Planet X SL Pro Carbon. Hope it helps.

Images and review: Planet X SL Pro Carbon

rOcKeTdOg

get the pink one!

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

Have you also considered the Focus Cayo, a similar proposition to the Planet X etc?

Here's a pic of mine:

You can find a load of other images and a review here.

fbk
    Free Member

Biker4riding. Thanks for that – some great pics on your site. It does look better than I thought 🙂 . Interesting to hear how you find the ride too.
    I did look at the Cayo but, along with the Boardman, I was put off by the majority of reviews describing it as "Race orientated" with a stiff harsh ride.

As for the Pink Planet X – even I ruled that one out pretty quickly 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Your Still thinking about it then 😉 Looks like the Orbea is the one your are leaning towards – Its an ice lookng bike:

Hmm – in my order of beauty: 😉

@snap blimey do you put that message up on every post about road bikes – Does it say anywhere that you must not post about road bikes on this forum – No I hear – Just swallow your annoyance and stop posting that tripe angain and again. A lot of posters on here, including myself have roadbikes even if they are primarily Off-Roaders.

mtbmatt
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

@mtbmatt – err the above are all carbon so FBK is looking for a carbon frameset I think! So the Easton Frameset is out I think maybe. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

You are aware that the Ribble in the image isn't what you'll get. Take away the carbon aero rims, bars, stem and groupset, add the most basic Campag wheels and groupset and that'll be nearer the £1000 bike.
    As for the Orbea 105! not the wheels and chainset, they're Tiagra.
    And both have skip worthy saddles and basic tyres.
    But if looks are important then yes in pics they win, but not in the flesh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Sorry! Roadbike dilemma! Ribble, Orbea or Planet X? Sorry!’ is closed to new replies.