Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sorry it's a 'lights' question….Solarstorm X2 or X3….Is X3 just overkill?
  • cjr61

Hi,
    Fancy dabbling with some evening riding off road so going to pick up cheap light to play with. I appreciate the ins and outs regarding batteries, explosions, sudden blackouts….but hey it’s cheap!

Anyway, is the X2 more than adequate or is bigger always better (especially when it’s only £3 difference).

Thanks

Chris

jamiep
    Free Member
    cjr61

Thanks

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the X3 I bought, which seems like it might be genuine, is not as good as my X2, which might be a fake.

The light is too blue and the middle emitter chucks out much more than the side ones.

cjr61

Thanks TurnerGuy….good timing as just pushed the button on a massive X2 for all of £13 quid…thank you AliExpress!

(Yes I am a cheap bugger!)

davosaurusrex

I have an X2 on the lid and an X3 on the bars and like them both, appreciate the extra bit of power from the X3 but it’s a bit big to go on a lid. I see you’ve just ordered one, I’d consider another as I went out with just the bar light last night and it’s not good going over even small drops and lips as you can’t see the landing until the last moment.
    Oh, file the corners down as well as they can do you an injury if you catch them when going OTB!

cjr61

Thanks for the advice Davo. I went crazy and spent another £3 on a 2000 Lumen (unlikely I know) torch that I was going to strap to my noggin. Hopefully that should be a reasonable pairing.

Cheers

davosaurusrex

I find that the cheapo torches give me neckache after a while due to the weight although plenty find them ok so I’m probably just soft. I prefer the X2 with the battery in the camelbak. For £3 worth trying though.

z1ppy

+1 to neck ache for 18650 torches on your helmet, not the end of the world but it’s uncomfortale, so I’m happier with a X2 on my helmet. Hardly ever use the X2 on full beam TBH, though do also have trout mini on my bars..don’t see much point in replacing either now, until they break

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I took the nitefighter BT 21 and 71 out on their first outing last night along with my ss x2 and a fluxient x3 led unit

The BT 21 is surprisingly broad and has no hot spot, on turbo, I was really impressed.
    IMO it’s a much better light than the x2 if you prefer the softer light source.

Unfortunately I can’t say the same for the 71, I found this light very poor, on turbo it’s not much better than the 21 and on low there is barely enough light to reach the ground from the bars.
    The on button basically fits like a moulded gromit into the metal work, and I actually pushed it into the casing on one occasion.
    The electronics are also pretty bad, I thought the up and down control would be pretty good rather than cycling, but on my unit it’s a bit screwy, sometimes it works and sometimes the up or down button would turn the light off which is not ideal.

For a big handle bar light it’s pretty rubbish and so far for the price the fluxient is by miles the best I have seen (although it is pretty big)

Poopscoop

I’ve got an x2 and x3 turning up today.

X2 for the lid. Don’t mind middlirng them a bit for any weaknesses that I find.

Might mess around with a defusing lens over over some of the leds. We shall see.

Poopscoop

X3 just turned up.

Surprisingly small, both the battery and light, which is a good thing.

Just discharging battery to low to start a couple of cycles.

Very bright….and hot! lol

Battery will be dead esay to stow, was expecting it to be bigger.

Got the X3 from Amazon Prime, next day delivery (and Amazons great customer service should it all go wrong…) for £19.99 plus a free (shonky) rear led light.

No doubt cheaper on Ebay but I prefer Amazon.

mattyfez

I have an x2, it too gets hot, but hey.
    I’m not sure I trust the charger so I fully discharge the light by leaving it on high, then time the charge to about 2 hours as it doesn’t seem to stop charging once fully charged, but it doesnt get too warm when charging that I’ve noticed.

What do people do about the ridiculously bright blue power level LED?
    I was thinking about putting some paint on it..

Poopscoop

I am cycling the X3 right now (I mean drain/ charge///repeat…in not out “cycling” lol). Just put it on charge.

Didnt catch it before it went totally flat which isnt ideal…. lion shouldnt be totally flattened so will look into that.

I seem to remember reading the blue LED flashes when getting near flat??

Also that the charging unit LED goes green when charged??

Can anyone confirm either of the above on the X3 unit?

As for the blued power LED, yeah mattyfez, little too bright I reckon.

Black permanent marker at the ready for later, not permanent, just enough to dull their brightness a tad.

So far so good though. Light is nice and compact(iss) on the bars and with some added insulation tape ddoesnt move whatsoever.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sorry it's a 'lights' question….Solarstorm X2 or X3….Is X3 just overkill?’ is closed to new replies.