Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sorry, iphone newbie question?
  • ski
    Free Member

Just bought a iphone 3Gs and managed to set up an account with itunes on my laptop at home last night.

Will I be able to link it to my itunes on my work desktop pc too?

Or will I run into problems?

Cheers.

GrahamS

If you point both iTunes at the same iTunes library (e.g. somewhere on your network) then it will be fine.
    Otherwise it will try to replace everything that came from one iTunes with everything that is in the other one when it syncs.

But to be honest though, you'll probably find you hardly ever hook up to iTunes anyway.

I only do it once in a while to make a backup.

ski
    Free Member

If you point both iTunes at the same iTunes library (e.g. somewhere on your network) then it will be fine.
    Otherwise it will try to replace everything that came from one iTunes with everything that is in the other one when it syncs.

Thanks Graham, that's what I feared, think I will pass on using it with itunes at work then 😉

ourkidsam
    Free Member

If you change iTunes to sync manually, then you'll be fine and it won't overwrite anything unless you tell it to.

GrahamS

If you just want to charge it then you can happily plug it into any PC via the USB lead. It will charge regardless of whether iTunes is installed.

GTDave
    Free Member

There is a little hack you can do with iTunes that will allow you to sync it with different libraries. Tis what I have done & it works well.
    Just needs a little bit of hex editing.

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/30/how-to-sync-an-iphone-with-two-or-more-computers.html

spacemonkey

I have iTunes on my PC and MBP, but only sync using the latter because using both seemed to encourage issues.

IMO the whole iPhone/iTunes syncing thing is a sack of sh1t anyway.

EDIT: using iTunes to back up your phone is useful, but file/picture/movie management is pants

GrahamS

IMO the whole iPhone/iTunes syncing thing is a sack of sh1t anyway.

True, but the Android alternative(s) seem considerably more convoluted in my opinion.

Not sure why iTunes doesn't offer over-the-air wi-fi syncing though. Physically plugging it in seems very last decade.

spacemonkey

Android was kind of okay when I was using it – better than Apple's version anyway.

But WinMo (on my HD2) was brilliant because 1) you could manage folders and files pretty much the same as in Windows Explorer, and 2) music was easy to sync too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, iphone newbie question?’ is closed to new replies.