Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Sorry if its been done, Cyclists banned from Olympic Lanes
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Seriously?

Can’t see this actually working,

Markie
    Free Member

F*****s.

Is there any way giving money (into for example a defense fund) could help fight this / render it unenforceable?

postierich
    Free Member

Unbelivieable! time for critical mass type demonstration methinks!

crankbreaker

How do they expect to police this? Surely any cameras wouldn’t show anything to attach the cyclist with an address, unless we’re going to have to have numberplates on our bikes for the period!

brakes
    Free Member

I’m surprised. I didn’t think there were that many lanes that this would apply to. I thought it was 1 in 10, not 9 in 10.

jota180
    Free Member

How do they expect to police this?
    They’ve been practising 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOADzgjO8GI[/video]

hora
    Free Member

I would participate in a mass protest.

Question, how would you catch a transgressor? Numberplate? Pursuit rider who then rugby tackles you?

brakes
    Free Member

you know those missiles they’ve been putting on blocks of flats…

db

I like the pursuit rider idea! We could train our team at the same time.

Dibs on Pendleton rugby tackling me…

binners

Blah blah Olympics. Blah blah London. Maybe they should have a parliamentary debate about it?

You do realise the rest of the country don’t give a flying ****? We’re only paying for it. Suck it up and just think of that golden ‘legacy’ 😆

br
    Free Member

Spokesperson for the ETA, Yannick Read, said: “TfL chiefs must very rarely cycle in London to have wrongly assumed that the best place for bicycles on busy roads is hugging the gutter, or sitting at a standstill in traffic.”

Not surprised as one of the previous TfL chiefs responsible for cycling was the Dad of a guy who used to work for me – he told me his Dad had never ridden a bike in his life.

eyerideit
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Blah blah Olympics. Blah blah London. Maybe they should have a parliamentary debate about it?

You do realise the rest of the country don’t give a flying ****? We’re only paying for it. Suck it up and just think of that golden ‘legacy’

Feeling a bit left out are we? Go buy a little flag and give it a wave – you’ll feel a lot better about the whole fiasco – Honest! 😀

cp

I’d ride to sheffield to london to participate in a mass protest. **** ridiculous.

billyboy
    Free Member

The Press have been very quiet, but I’m personally convinced that a lot of stinky things have been done in the name of the 2012 Olympics. Things that will have been criminal and immoral. I hope those responsible spend a bit of time sweating out their misdeeds someday.

billyboy
    Free Member

………….like we could afford it anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I can’t see this being enforceable. They barely enforce riding on pavements, I’ve never seen many stopped gor red lights … I haven’t spotted one on my commute but I’ll continue to ride in the best place to preserve my life and if that’s an Olympic games lane, shrug shoulders, so be it!

rj
    Free Member

We’ve reduced the whole thing to a rather sleazy “marketing opportunity”. TBH I’ll probably give most of it a miss. It’s a bit of a shame for the athletes as there seems to be more emphasis on the sponsors.

alpin
    Free Member

wtf is an “olympic lane”?

+1 critical mass type thing.

fidiots (that’s a combination of a swear word and the word idiot)

drofluf
    Free Member

binners – Member

You do realise the rest of the country don’t give a flying ****? We’re only paying for it. Suck it up and just think of that golden ‘legacy’

binners what makes you think us in London want it any more than you? Roads effectively closed, get off the tube and walk, all the development ‘benefits’ an hour away. Doesn’t do anything for me at all.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’m leaving London for the entirety of the Olympics. Leave two days before the opening ceremony, come back two days after the closing ceremony. No thank you.

I honestly wish Paris had won. Let them deal with it. 😀

takisawa2

The whole thing is just epitomised by that w8nkr Coe. Smug pirick.
    I feel for you Londoners, I really do. I’ll cheer on our athletes, but the whole Olympic thing stinks, it really does.

And this…well this just takes the piddle. Seriously sh*t way to treat people. So ordinary tax paying Londoners are supposed to put up & shut up, & sit in gridlock while a privelaged few are ferried about on empty roads in fleets of Range Rovers. It’s like something out of bloody North Korea FFS. T055ers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

honestly the last place I’d want to cycle is in a lane that will have cars and minibusses rushing round trying to deliver athletes and posh people to places 10 mins ago.

edit# it’s not like it’s forever GET OVER IT

JCL
    Free Member

It’s just a massive corporate machine. Coke, Mcdonalds, VISA etc prop up the IOC cronies for putting on this event every couple years and people in the host cities are basically held hostage. I couldn’t believe how ramped-up the so called security became in Vancouver in 2010 and that was just for the crappy winter games. Oh and we’re still waiting for those benefits from hosting such a prestigious event to kick in… I feel sorry for the athletes, it’s just a load of old crap.

binners

Did anyone watch 2012 last night? Worth a trip to iplayer if you didn’t.

I presume this is part of WAY TO GO!

😆

hora
    Free Member

Weve got the Olympics here in Manchester. Doubt there will be anywhere near the same interest.

aP
    Free Member

Well, hora that what happens when you live in the provinces.
    The lack of real information on the ORN is a bit annoying, as quite a lot of my commute is on it. I’m sure it’ll be mostly fine 🙄 and cycling through Greenwich will be ok 🙄 and the last half mile to the O2 will be ok too 🙄
    They’re certainly having fun putting the security measures in place outside the O2.

binners

I hear missile batteried on your roof have taken over form conservatories as the must have-home improvement this summer? How frightfully metropolitan!

Saratoga
    Free Member

wtf is an “olympic lane”?

It’s like a “ZiL Lane” in Moscow.

The London Olympics are supposed to be the greenest ever, yet cycle lanes are being closed, cyclists are banned from the ZiLOlympic lanes, cycle paths to the Olympic Park will be closed for the duration…

nickf
    Free Member

There are Olympic lanes for the whole of my commute, which will, in practical terms, mean that I’ll travel rather faster than usual. No way am I staying out of them.

crazy-legs

There are Olympic lanes for the whole of my commute, which will, in practical terms, mean that I’ll travel rather faster than usual. No way am I staying out of them.

There’s some Strava KOMs just waiting for you there! 😉
    Or some armed police pulling you off your bike…

alpin
    Free Member

It’s just a massive corporate machine. Coke, Mcdonalds, VISA etc prop up the IOC cronies for putting on this event every couple years and people in the host cities are basically held hostage.

did you hear that programme on R4 about the food legacy of the Olympics? some bint going on about how everything is sourced from the UK and that they are only providing “proper british food”, which strangley included pasta. but the providers of the catering were not allowed to advertise the fact that they are tied up with the Olympics. that status is reserved for the likes of Coke, McDs. she went a bit quiet when confronted with that fact.

and she said “you know” a lot, too. stupid woman.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Our local golf course has been fenced off so it can be use as a camp site. I don’t play golf but it’s a nice walk with the dog. There’s a nature reserve and an old waterworks which will no doubt be well used ruined over the games. I can’t imagine the amount of litter it’s going to generate.

It’s a sad day for Alice the spaniel, no more river swims for a while. 🙁

Nice one SEB. 👿

allthegear
    Free Member

Actually, you CAN use the Olympic Lanes, where they are situated on the left hand side of the road. You’re only banned from the ones on the right hand side.

The locals are calling this stupid as a lot of london cyclists will cycle down the right hand side of stationary traffic as they feel it is safer.

Rachel

robsoctane
    Free Member

well done Rachel!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Eyerideit

wirecutters are your friend.

brooess
    Free Member

Ah.
    I’m planning on riding to work to keep out of the Tube network which could be a mare… I was hoping it would be quick and easy.
    Silly me.
    Not sure how they can enforce it.
    And they’re wrong about London cyclists filtering down the outside. I do because it makes me more visible to drivers, but most people seem to filter down the inside line (which is why most deaths are from left-turning lorries)
    tbh not that many roads are being given over to the Olympic lanes, and the whole point of cycling in London is you have the freedom to avoid traffic and take the side streets instead. So in principle, yes it’s a bit control-freaky. In reality, it’ll be easy enough to find an alternative route…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Interesting to see the Bow roundabout is one that we’re banned from, especially as its a well known cyclist facility hotspot. Upper Thames street has also seen a fair few deaths too

There really are some useless twunts organising this

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Sorry if its been done, Cyclists banned from Olympic Lanes’ is closed to new replies.