Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • sorry if its a can o' worms… but superstar pads these days?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

just after a quick yay or nay really, hav’nt looked at them for years and the one time i bought pads from them they did’nt even fit.

but need some new avid pads for my juicy 7s, and they are still really cheap, current non standard pads i bought are not that good, so have superstar improved?

nedrapier

I bought 4 sets of organics for BB7s for some change more than one set of Avids.

I was hoping they’d be quieter, was led to expect them to have a bit more bite, but not last as long as stock Avids.

Definitely quieter. Happy Days.

Bit less powerful (I did bed them in per instructions, whether it makes a difference or not) which is not an issue, as the Avids had more than enough with one finger.

Not had them long enought to comment on durability. Previous Avids did 7-8000 miles. for c. £5 a set, I’m not especially bothered. Be nice if they did more than 2000, though.

Mostly commuting (year round, some hills, plenty of lights) occasional long road ride, occasional off- road, Welsh Hills, SDW, bridleways, wet, gritty France.

nedrapier

might be obvious, but yes, they fit.

Pair no. 1 did, anyway.

dantsw13

Ive used a mixture of Superstar and Disco Brakes pads on all my bikes, both sintered for winter, and Kevlar for summer. No problems at all.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i think i have clarkes in, i got them from crc on sale a couple of years back (really not rode mtb for two years hence long life). not as much bite as stock avids and squeel like mad if its damp.

i see ss are claiming their sintered are made by a ‘well known motorbike pad manufacturer’. i’d love to know if thats EBC as i always liked EBC pads.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The ones I got didn’t fit (or rather they did after a fair amount of fettling). I won’t be buying any more.

Northwind

The avid ones with the locator thing in the back of the pad can be trouble- paint buildup in the hole.

enfht
    Free Member

Their Kevlar (avid) pads are excellent imo. I still sand the sides on concrete first to scrape excess paint off but it’s more out of habit as they fit fine nowadays.

PrinceJohn

Sorry the vagueness, but there were people giving out/selling cheap brake pads at 24/12 this year, I can’t remember who they were but recently but a set in my bike & have been impressed…

MartynS

I’d be looking at uberbikecomponents pads myself……

moonboy
    Free Member

seem to do the job for me

breadcrumb

I’ve had no issues with Superstar pads, I’ve used a few sets too.

damascus
    Free Member

SS sintered Shimano xt pads. I’ve been using them for years. Great value, last ages, good performance, occasionally squeeky. If you don’t like them they replace them (I think) within 30 days or give you your money back (it they used to) but never needed to check.

booktownman
    Free Member

Used to run Superstar sintered but gave Uberbike a go and haven’t looked back. Very impressed with their longevity.

jambon
    Free Member

No problems with the Avid Elixir Kevlar ones.

stumpy01

I think v the ones at 24/12 mentioned above were BBB and Fibrax.

I use SS pads but the last few sets seem to be a pain to put in. They have been too thick and I’ve had to tinker to get them to work without binding like mad.
    I’ve got some of the Fibrax and BBB ones (from the 24/12) and will be trying those next.

khani
    Free Member

My SS Formula pads needed some judicious grinding to fit, but they work ok now they do fit…

Northwind

MartynS – Member

Threw mine in the bin (race matrix), seemed unsuited to hard use. ymmv of course but they were useless.

robhughes
    Free Member

Uber race matrix are what you need.They really are very good.
    I replaced SS kevlar with them and the difference is unbelievable.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Unbelievable how? Duration or stopping power?

rocketman
    Free Member

Have given up on inexpensive brake pads (esp Superstar) after too many niggling issues. I like my brakes to be smooth silent powerful and consistent. CBA spending £100s on some decent brakes then compromising them with cheap pads just to save a few quid.

honourablegeorge

Had bad experience in the past, others find them fine, I buy from discobrakes.com or uberbike.com nowadays, never had any issues with either.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

MartynS – Member

Threw mine in the bin (race matrix), seemed unsuited to hard use. ymmv of course but they were useless.
    Posted 10 hours ago # Report-Post
    robhughes – Member

ROFL. STW at its best!

Northwind

Good innit.

(in case it’s of any use, more info… I did a couple of rides with the race matrixes, liked them. Went off to the alps, and by lunchtime they were really inconsistent- not as simple as “too hot therefore not work”, they’d go up and down in power constantly even from corner to corner, horrible.

So, replaced them with a set of superstar kevlars, which made more noise and I reckon wear faster, but actually did the job. Nowt special about the kevlars mind, I’ve used assorted other pads in the same brakes without such issues.)

I never throw anything away normally, I’ve got broken maxles, worn out chains, halves of tubes… But these went in the bin.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

hmmm, fitting issues with ss does not fill me with joy.

hadnt heard of uberbike, they only have the race version but tempted to give them a go. still a good saving over the cheapest avid ones.

dantsw13

Also try Disco brakes

rickon
    Free Member

And I’ll counter Northwind 😉

I bought some Race Matrix Uberbikecomponents pads for the Alps, full week of riding and consistent braking, actually lasted 3 months of us too.

For me they have great initial bite, no noise, and last ages. Whereas the kevlar ss ones would last a few rides around Afan for me.

I’ve actually had the Race matrix pads on two bikes, and two different brands, with the same results. Possibly you got a dodgy batch NW? I didn’t really bed them in properly either.

Out of stock for Avid Trails though :'(

robhughes
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    MartynS – Member

Posted 10 hours ago # Report-Post
    robhughes – Member

ROFL. STW at its best!
    I’m with rickon.I just can’t fault mine…Weird.Got them on two bikes and have thrashed the hell out of them.No fade under heat,consistent good bite and feel and can stick me over the bars.
    Inconstant manufacturing.????????

grum
    Free Member

My SS Formula pads needed some judicious grinding to fit, but they work ok now they do fit…

+1

Northwind

Aye, tbh I was really surprised as I’ve hardly seen a bad review of the racematrixes so it could be it’s the classic “bad batch”.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Anyone found they eat rotors?

deadkenny
    Free Member

SS Kevs for me. Less noisy than the sintered and nicer feel. Does the job. Can’t really tell any difference compared to originals though haven’t run them in a long while. Just not worth the money when SS work fine. Kevlar wears down a little quicker but 4 packs are a billy bargain so non issue.

Only niggle is you don’t get the elixir pad pin. But not fussed as I’m fed up with the pins having rounded off the soft ali heads a few times and the other week snapped the head clean off without doing anything gorilla handed or it being put in to tight. Solution – split pins.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘sorry if its a can o' worms… but superstar pads these days?’ is closed to new replies.