Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • SORRY helmet light for mtb?
  • donkeydave

Sorry for asking as this has probably been done a thousand times, but what are you guys using as a helmet light?
    Cannot decide between a cbseen torch or light with strap?.

jekkyl

If only there was some way of searching VERY recent threads for lots of info on lights.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I use a yinding , very bright and tiny

donkeydave

You mean the search function, will try it now.
    Give me a break i am new to this so be gentle.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

No merci.!

bonchance
    Free Member

Self contained torch style – have a look at;

$$$$ Exposure Diablo
    $$$ Exposure Joystick
    $$ Lezyne Macro
    $ Lenser, XML or similar from Ebay or Dealextreme (treat the chargers with caution)

Nice to have a flood style light on the bars as well off road – loads of threads already on that and Chinese or UK sources..

goldenwonder
    Free Member

The cheap Exposure Sirius that Rutland have at the moment, until they run out..
    Mine arrived today & it’s great for the cash.

Rockape
    Free Member

Have a look at the lumen 800 from mtb batteries very good compact lile light.

rickon
    Free Member

$$$$ Exposure Diablo
    $$$ +1/2 Exposure Axis Mk2
    $$$ Exposure Joystick

+1.

Properly well made light that will last 5 years +, and when it dies USE / Exposure will sort you out. 2 year warrant, but they’re great guys.

Nothing like a self contained light for simplicity.

The new Joystick is 750 lumens, and very floody. The Axis Mk2 is 850 lumens and very spotty, the Diablo is 1300 lumens and a bit inbetween – but bonkers bright.

iainc

I have had various joysticks over the last 6 or 7 years and recently got the 750 lumens MK9 version – superb light when combined with something decent on bars

deadkenny
    Free Member

Insane brightness… check out the new OMG from Four4th. http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/omg-light-unit-only/

I’ve got one of their Genesis 3 Spot which is excellent bright and small spot light (though uses external battery, but you get more life and power that way than a torch style light, though they do stuff like that also).

Great support from local company in Aldershot.

vincienup
    Free Member

Hope no one minds the hijack…

I’m happy with the Solarstorm X2 as a bar light, once provided with a decent battery.

I need a helmet light, and had been intending something along the lines on a 1200 lm-ish T6 type.

This has me thinking though. I have a new MacroDrive I bought as a commuter bar light and I love it as such so far. It’s the current 400 lumen model.

With a biggish Solarstorm on the bar, how much light do you need for a helmet light? 400 lumens sounds too low compared to the more believable end of quoted on the Solarstorm. I don’t have the lezyne helmet mount so would need to buy before trying rather than just heading out for a spin. Is it likely to be worthwhile or do I need more light?

takisawa2

Solarstorm £15 job from EBay for the lid, with the 6 cell battery.
    And an old biscuit tin to charge it in (outside obviously), with the charger plugged in to an RCD.
    No fires (yet). 😕

On the bars a pair of those 800 lumen spots, but to be honest, the solarstorm is about as bright as I ever need at the speeds I travel.

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm. I was going the other way round with big light on the bar

Ive paired the light with a better magicshine encapsulated battery and a real UK charger so no biscuit tin/casserole pot/garage charging…

With somewhere 1200-2000 lm on the bar, is 400 on the hat enough, or should I be looking at more like twice that? Just asking cos I’d discounted lights like the Serius and MacroDrive hut I see them being mentioned above…

jimw
    Free Member

Vincienup, in my experience it depends partly on whether you are cycling on your own or with a group. If the former, then 400 lumen on the helmet is fine provided it is a spot rather than flood. If the latter, you may prefer more power as others lights tend to drown out lower power lights. I am in exactly the latter situation and looking to replace my 400lumen AyUp helmet light for something a bit more powerful.
    Edit: I have one of the Trout modified Hope 4 on the bars so that is about 2000 lumen on full. This provides plenty of flood light in front of the wheel.

vincienup
    Free Member

Jimw, ta!

I tend to ride with just a mate or two so I’ll get a bracket advert the Macro I think. I’ve got plenty bar light, and it’s rideable like that but I really feel the need for a light not looking same way as the bike…

iainc

IMO you want about twice as much light on the bars as on the lid. Too much on helmet and the edges of features get flattened out the shadows. Would also suggest flood on bars and spot on lid, although I have recently gone from a Mk7 Joystick to the Mk9 one and its a floody hemet light. It works well though, paired with MaxxD on the bars.

vincienup
    Free Member

Ta, so,

From what I recall a MaxxD is about 1200lm and mk7 joystick 400lm, 3:1. Was that a combo you were happy with? Just asking as numbers are similar to what I already have for other purposes without going silly and buying more lights…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘SORRY helmet light for mtb?’ is closed to new replies.