Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sorry for the stupid Question but, I think I need new Brakes but which ones.
  • Rochey
    Free Member

First of all sorry, I’m a Roadie at heart, so I will have No clue.

OK, my current disc brakes are Poo, Shimano M468 I think.

Front is OK but rear is really soft, I have tried bleeding them loads of times but I just cant get the buggers to work proper.

Is it time to get a new set or get them serviced??

If new ones, which ones??, I use the MTB for Winter and commute to work once the weather changes and the cold icy weather comes in.

So can anyone help me out.

Cheers

Teetosugars
    Free Member

These.

Just get these.

Fit & Forget.

SLX…

chip
    Free Member
    slackman99
    Free Member

Front is ok, but rear is soft……..ahem 🙂

chestrockwell

I’ve got some of the new Deore and think they’re ace, especially for the price. That’s coming from a huge Hope fan.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

M468’s are quite rubbish – the modern Deore / SLX / XT / XTR versions (depending on your budget are all really good).

Tip for the day with bleeding rear brakes is to let gravity do the work for you. Remove the rear caliper and hose mounts and place the caliper so that it is directly under the brake lever and oil reservoir. (I know this is unorthodox!). If the then push the caliper brake cylinders all the way back (outwards) any bubbles in the system will now be in the hydraulic hose. Because this is now directly under the brake lever and reservoir, you simply need to angle the brake lever so that bubbles in the hose are free to move up into it. It helps at this point to pull the brake lever back to the bar (with a ziptie) and leave the system overnight. When you release the ziptie in the morning any bubbles in the system will be transferred to to the fluid reservoir – and you can remove them by topping up the reservoir with mineral oil.

Bleeding by the traditional method I have found to be messy, frustrating and feeling like I need three pairs of hands for. This gravity method is a piece of P – and may explain why you were able to do the front brake easily – as gravity works in its favor.

composite
    Free Member

chestrockwell – Member

I’ve got some of the new Deore and think they’re ace, especially for the price. That’s coming from a huge Hope fan.

I was an X2 fan boy for years, but tried the Deore on my last build. Assuming they last long term then I will never go back to the Hopes.

eltonerino

Tried my new Deore M615s in anger for the first time last night. Lovely brakes.

devash
    Free Member

+1 for the Deore BR-M615s.

Swapped out my stock Avid Elixir 3 brakes and rotors for these and SLX rotors back in July and have had zero issues with them.

Considering you can pick up a set of front and back brakes for around £75 to £80 they represent incredible value.

ricardo666
    Free Member

Been using shimano xt 775 for years of stopping power on my hardtail.

Doddle to bleed, maybe the slx are the old xt if you want to save a bit of cash

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sorry for the stupid Question but, I think I need new Brakes but which ones.’ is closed to new replies.