Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sorry folks, another dog thread. Excercise.
  • cobrakai

I’ve got a 10 month old working cocker with the expected bundle of energy. When he goes for a walk to the local forestry commission site, he’s off the lead as his re-call has always been excellent. I’ll walk for 30 min, but he does the usual sweep in front, left to right in the undergrowth, usually at full pelt. He gets this type of walk usually once a day followed by a lead walk in the evening with access to the garden all day.

He’s quite long legged and bang on weight for what he should be and the vets are always glad with him on check ups.

I do plenty of running (normally 8 to 12k a time) but I’m put off taking him as everyone says not until 1 year. Surely he’s already doing those kind of distances when I take him for walk?

Any tips or wisdom?

ampthill

We have small springer. basically the same dog

I just don’t know what to say. She has a few joint problems and she is now 7. Nothing major but she can be really stiff. So i some times worry that she did too much too soon

On the other hand they are bonkers off the lead any way so does it make any odds

My advice would be do runs for her. Start off short and keep looking at her. Walk when he looks tired and maybe put him on a lead.

Do you mean running her on a lead? I think they find human pace tough to sustain. Its a bit fast and a bit slow

thehustler
    Free Member

For these types of dog 5 mins per month of age is recommended for walking/running exercise per day until they are grown, anymore and you risk the above mentioned joint problems, just because he is ‘capable’ of alot more doesn’t actually mean its good for him.

jota180
    Free Member

There’s a difference between a dog putting in the distance whilst charging around and following a runner.
    Dog’s pads overheat easily, hence they’ll often stop in puddles etc.
    As long as you stop regularly rather than a non-stop 12k, I reckon you’ll be fine.

cobrakai

Very fair points, thanks folks. I went for a smallish 5k jog up a dismantled railway line with him yesterday and he seemed confused about why I was catching him up! We were only out for half an hour and I did stop regularly.

I’m thinking doing this a couple of times a week would be a good starting point.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sorry folks, another dog thread. Excercise.’ is closed to new replies.