Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sorry, cameras again. Bridge?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Asked about compacts with good optical zoom & viewfinder a few days ago, looks like there’s not a lot! So how about a bridge with a good zoom that won’t cost loads?
    Also, how does optical zoominess, (like 18X) equate to focal length? (Do you multiply by 15 or something?)
    Looking at the Fuji S2950 as an example.

knottie8
    Free Member

I have a couple of Fuji bridge cameras and the massive zoom is roughly 28-430mm in 35mm equivlent on my S5500 .

mountainchub
    Free Member

I’ve got the Fuji S2950 an so far I’m pretty chuffed with it for everyday type shots – have yet to take it outdoors for a day riding and test the awesome panoramic function!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mountain chub, what’s the shutter delay like, & how long do the batteries last (ish)
    Ta.

Militant_biker

Got an old Fuji S5600, and for 90% of the time it’s great. I do sometimes wish for more DOF for arty-farty shots. Even wide open the DOF is huge – it’s a feature of all bridge type cameras, or so I read a few years ago.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sorry for the ignorance MB, but whats DOF?

ChrisA
    Free Member

Depth of field

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Durr, obvious now you mention it! 😳

PePPeR

The Depth of Field being huge means that everything is in focus due to the small sensor size in the camera, generally the bigger the sensor the easier it is to throw the back ground out of focus and highlight the feature you actually want.

Funnily enough I was playing with just this feature today with my Olympus EP3 and an old Leica lens.

Funnily enough if the background were in focus all you’d see would be my garden shed and a washing line!

Hope that helps and it isn’t a brilliant photo, but it was a quick example for you.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m also interested in this one.

Shutter delay/lag seems to be a major issue when shooting action shots. I have an aging Fuji E900 which isn’t too bad, but the photo’s don’t strike me as being as vibrant as shots from Canon or Lumix cameras.

Also, what is the most frames per second you can expect on continuous shooting for a compact? Seems like it could be a way round shutter lag but not if its still no better than 2 or 3 fps?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I know a bit about ‘DOF’, just didn’t twig on to the acronym! Used to be handy on my old film SLR with the Depth of Field preview button, showed you exactly what the shot should look like.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Also, what is the most frames per second you can expect on continuous shooting for a compact? Seems like it could be a way round shutter lag but not if its still no better than 2 or 3 fps?

My Olympus compact does about 8 or 9 per second! but only does 11 frames before it stops.

Militant_biker

😳

collie
    Free Member

Have a look at the Fuji HS20. equivalent of 720mm ish zoom at can shoot about 8fps. Plenty of deals about for under £250.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have a look at the Fuji HS20. equivalent of 720mm ish zoom at can shoot about 8fps. Plenty of deals about for under £250

Thank you, another thing to think about!!

mountainchub
    Free Member

Actually shutter delay is less than others I’ve used and batteries appear to last ages couldnt give an accurate timeframe as it’s not being used every day but lasted a whole month so far with lots of flash

The only thing that’s annoying is shooting indoors without the flash and things can get a bit blurry but I think that’s more to do with the operator lol

mountainchub
    Free Member

Actually shutter delay is less than others I’ve used and batteries appear to last ages couldnt give an accurate timeframe as it’s not being used every day but lasted a whole month so far with lots of flash

The only thing that’s annoying is shooting indoors without the flash and things can get a bit blurry but I think that’s more to do with the operator lol

tonyplym
    Free Member

Newly announced Canon G1 X looks like it might turn the “quality” compact camera market upside down.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, cameras again. Bridge?’ is closed to new replies.